Magnesium Supplementation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium Supplementation

I was told by my doctor to supplement vitamin D in my diet. I was also told that Magnesium is necessary for the body to properly utilize the vitamin D.

I bought a 1000mg vitamin D3 supplement and a 250mg Magensium supplement. It is made of Magnesium Oxide. Is there a better type of Magnesium I should have purchased or is this a good kind? I've heard there are a few to choose from and I want to make sure I didn't screw this up.

Thanks!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Sorry, Magnesium Oxide is not very bio-available (but it is the cheapest ).

Magnesium Orotate is the best, although pricey. Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Chloride are nearly as good.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Magnesium glycinate is very bioavailable and reasonably priced:

Amazon.com: Source Naturals Magnesium Bis-Glycinate, 120 Tablets: Health & Personal Care

Comment

PHD recommends Doctors Best High Absorption Magnesium among others. This is what I have started taking.

Comment

I use the powdered magnesium citrate. It tastes good in plain water, and it's cheap - and it WORKS, both for cramps and for BM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Thank goondess for magnesium citrate. I woke up from period cramps last night and a little less than a teaspoon put me back to sleep like a baby, and it has vastly reduced my day cramps as well.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I use Magnesium citrate.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
                Magnesium glycinate is very bioavailable and reasonably priced:

Amazon.com: Source Naturals Magnesium Bis-Glycinate, 120 Tablets: Health & Personal Care
                That's what I understand as well. I think any -ate is better than any -ide, but I do glycinate specifically.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Any chelate is fine: that means anything ending in "-ate".

Magnesium Citrate
                  Magnesium Malate
                  Magnesium Glycinate
                  Magnesium Orotate

Citrate is generally cheapest, but has the greatest laxative effect. Malate is usually the next cheapest, and it's what I take. Orotate tends to be expensive for some reason. All of them are well-absorbed.

Often taking some or all of it before bed can help you sleep.

Magnesium oxide, I'm sorry to say, is basically worthless: less than 10% of it is actually absorbed.

Comment

I just ordered a bunch of citrate, so hopefully that works well for me. The last magnesium suppliment I took was a mixture of citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate, and succinate. It worked pretty well for me, but I don't see any real reason for the complexity.
                    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

Working...
                    X