So which is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So which is it?

I am seeing a lot "eat less and you will lose weight" I know its not as simple as that.

But then you have the others around here saying eat too little and your body will go into starvation mode, and hold on to the fat.

If I search I know ill find science for and against both ideas.

What is YOUR experience?

From several years of always trying to eat less I always either maintained or gained. On primal, and stuffing my face I have been steadily losing bodyfat.
    So maybe I eat fewer calories now, who knows. I don't need to count, so I don't. Didn't count before either, as I've always found it to be a hassle.

Comment

thats interesting thanks

So are you 100% primal and just eat when hungry?

Comment

I think people vary, and also the psychology of weight loss has to be individualized.

For myself, I'm not a calorie counter, food weigher, or portion controller. I lose weight on Primal Blueprint because the types of foods I'm eating satisfy me and have normalized my hunger. I'm not spiking my blood sugar all the time with grain, and losing weight is almost effortless.

Other folks here say they don't lose weight unless they employ some sort of control- calorie counting or weighing their food and then inputting it into some computer program. I've even read that some people start out like me but then later as they get closer to goal they have to start calorie counting in order to keep it going.

So I really think it varies. I would try just eating PB to start with and see what happens. If you don't lose weight naturally (assuming you have some to lose) then you may have to start doing some sort of calorie counting.
        High Weight: 225
        Weight at start of Primal: 189
        Current Weight: 174
        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I personally don't buy into the starvation mode thing. In my OWN personal experience, the only time I lose fat is by counting calories, even eating Primal, but that's just my experience. I'm 52 yrs old, with desk job and even though I lift heavy things and do mild cardio consistantly, it's still not enough to create a calorie deficit for ME. Counting calories is a pain sometimes, but I've finally excepted the fact that I have to, I'm ok with that.

Comment

I am not new to PB. (Just back to it, after 6 months of going back to SAD and bingeing, and gaining nearly 20 kg)
            Counted a bit in early jan but it really makes me stressed when I do it each day.

Comment

Same with me Connie. I need to cut calories - however I am trying within those calories to keep fat high, protein moderate and carbs low.
              Hey its working for me this week - so I will stick with it next week
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I can eat as much primal food as I like without gaining weight. Right now I don't count anything.

To lose weight I cut carbs.... period.

Comment

When I set my macros and was tracking for a few weeks it was set at 1300 cal, 10% carb/20% protein/70% fat.

Now I have a rough idea of what I eat. Some days its even less, as I just don't need to eat as much.

Always primal foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    I can eat as much primal food as I like without gaining weight.

To lose weight I cut carbs.... period.
                    I eat very little carbs. Some days none.

Comment

Yeah, just my general experience without any scientific commentary here. Course I was not very unhealthy or anything when I started. Had like 10lbs of vanity fat I could lose, but I was just as happy to keep it. In fact I put it back on (10-15lb) over the course of 8-9 months while lifting heavy on purpose. I'm still sure some of it was fat.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that it really just depends on the person based on their own metabolic situations. What works for one, may not work for another.

2012 was my year of experimentation ... I embraced high-fat Primal with gusto and didn't track what I was eating. I cut carbs, I tried IF. I gained 40lbs* back over the entire year after having lost 60 -- very disappointing when I stepped on the scale earlier last month. I also was not going to the gym, but I had maintained where I was at for over 6 months without it prior to switching to Primal.

*I only went up one pants size, or generous stretchy Express brand pants size, so while it did occur to me early on that I was gaining, I didn't realize quite how drastically. No, it wasn't muscle.

Now, I know what works, for me. I believe in cutting calories, however not going under BMR. I had mine tested and it's somewhere in the 1500s, so I try to eat 1700-1900, depending on activity. I'm back in the gym, lifting heavy and doing some cardio, and the weight is finally coming down again. I no longer cut carbs, however I do watch my fat because I'd rather it come from my own stores. Ketosis and 80% fat did not keep me satiated while trying to stay under 1600.

That doesn't mean I'm completely back to low-fat CW: I make sure the fat products I do get are grass-fed, and I still eat the whole [pasture raised] egg! I stay away from grains because they give me gas, but I will have pizza or a pastry if special occasion calls for it. I might be more "quality whole foods" or PHD than Primal now, but it works for me.

Here's to 2013

Comment

Well, I do 90/10, I guess. And yeah, eat when hungry, usually twice a day, although sometimes I'll have a snack inbetween.
                          I've been quite low carb most of the way, but as I'm at a weight I'm comfortable at, and am lifting heavy weights, I don't think so much about avoiding carbs anymore. Still would say I eat fairly low carb compared to non-primals

Comment

I think it's often both, usually in a vicious cycle that instigates each extreme. Too many calories leads to weight gain and oftentimes metabolic derangement, which is often remedied by the other extreme of cutting too many calories and nutrients which further aggravates the metabolic derangement. I think the key is to not live in extremes. The body has its own mechanisms for responding to them and they are usually detrimental to our health.

My experience after losing 90 lbs over the past 6 years is that calories are all that matter for basic weight loss, but you need to find what your caloric needs are and which foods alter the outcome. I can lose weight on high or low carb with insulin resistance and wrecked hormones as long as I'm eating less than I burn. And I've never resorted to low calorie dieting, always above 2k on average.
                            Last edited by j3nn; 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM.
                            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                              I think it's often both, usually in a vicious cycle that instigates each extreme. Too many calories leads to weight gain and oftentimes metabolic derangement, which is often remedied by the other extreme of cutting too many calories and nutrients which further aggravates the metabolic derangement. I think the key is to not live in extremes. The body has its own mechanisms for responding to them and they are usually detrimental to our health.
                              But how do you fix it if you have done this?
                              I spent 13 years bingeing/losing weight with low fat etc/gaining weight.

Have I just really broken myself?

I have been back to primal since Oct last year, and as of today am 2 kg down since then. 4 kg were lost in Jan but have gained back 2 kg this week, and nothing has changed, except I lifted weights on Sat (surely that is not why?)

have I just really damaged myself now? If so, how do I fix it?

Comment

Working...
                              X