Does anyone use Greatlakes Gelatin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use Greatlakes Gelatin?

It's pricey but it seems to be the high end of gelatin supplements - from pasture rared cows. Anyone try it?

Official Great Lakes Gelatin UK Stockist, Greatlakes Gelatin
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I have it. Works well! But I've only used it to once to be fair. It's popular in RP circles, so I bought some. I plan to make gummies with it. hehe
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Yup. I make "jello" with fruit juice or add it to smoothies.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        It's popular in RP circles
        Lol - really?! I found it independently of Peat! Although now that I think of it - looking for grass fed bovine gelatine was spurned by reading his article on pigs being fed corn, and what that does to their fat. My pork gelatine is now being used in the bath

Planning to add this to my yogurt in the mornings - figure it will be an easy way to get it in
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          Lol - really?! I found it independently of Peat! Although now that I think of it - looking for grass fed bovine gelatine was spurned by reading his article on pigs being fed corn, and what that does to their fat. My pork gelatine is now being used in the bath

Planning to add this to my yogurt in the mornings - figure it will be an easy way to get it in
          Yeah, I never heard of the brand until I saw it mentioned on another forum. LMK how it tastes in yogurt.
          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I have two containers of it in my pantry. Only used it a couple of times. I actually forgot about it. Hope it's still good.
            Dragonfly, how do you make your "jello."

Comment

I add it to stews, soups etc if there is no freshly made meat bone stock. Also going to try adding a little to gluten / grain free flour to see if it helps make a decent "pastry".

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                LMK how it tastes in yogurt.
                Will do j3nn

- Ray Peat

Comment

Yep, use the hydrolyzed (green) in just about anything and the gelatin (pink) to make jello and gummies. Also its actuay really cheap for how much you get. I ordered a case of 8 last year and only on my 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Tee View Post
                    I have two containers of it in my pantry. Only used it a couple of times. I actually forgot about it. Hope it's still good.
                    Dragonfly, how do you make your "jello."
                    Dissolve 2 T of gelatin in a little cold water to make a paste. Mix in 2 c hot water (boiled) and 2 c cold liquid ( water & juice to taste). Let cool & refrigerate. If you don't do juice, you can add a little honey instead.
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

It's prob cheaper for you guys across the water - I'm getting it shipped to the UK!

Zach, have you noticed any improvement in your skin since starting to supplement with it?

- Ray Peat

Comment

I can't believe I just spent £31.50 on gelatine.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          It's prob cheaper for you guys across the water - I'm getting it shipped to the UK!

Zach, have you noticed any improvement in your skin since starting to supplement with it?
                          Not in skin, no. I use it instead of getting protein from meat sources and have noticed greatly improved digestion, inflammation, flexibility and joint movemet. I also find that i can get almost all my protein from plants and gelatin and still gain muscle so i think that recommend protein intake is greatly exaggerated.

As for you post above, yikes that is expensive!

Comment

I'm confused by what I've recently read about 'excitotoxins', and whether forms of gelatin contain excitotoxins / are excitotoxic, or whether it's merely the case that MSG is often labelled as gelatin in ingredient lists for the sake of concealment.

Comment

Pure gelatin is a great supplement and I have noticed several health benefits from using it, especially increased recuperation and less joint pains from lifting...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X