No announcement yet.

Nursing Moms and Oatmeal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think co-sleeping is great too, even with my two ginormous kids.

If everyone is sleeping great and it's not hurting anyone or anything or your relationship
    with your husband, BRING IT ON.

I know my boys are going to be brooding surly teenagers coming up here in about 5
    years or so (well, earlier for the almost 11yo maybe) and will NOT want to be joined
    at the hip with Mommy anymore. Sniff.

So even though my 44yo candy ass has to sleep in a twin bed in a dorm room setting,
    I don't care. I'll take it. I love my babies and want them to feel as secure as possible.

Unlike my OWN mother who used to sleep in her own bed and her own room and lock the
    door so we couldn't "bother her". HARUMPH!

But I'm not bitter, nope, not me... nah.

Julie

Comment

Have you tried soaked oatmeal?

Agreed, there are lots of ways to get carbs. But if oatmeal is helping with supply, then do what you need to do. I would use certified GF old fashioned oats. Set them to soak overnight with 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar to break down the phytic acid. I do oatmeal for the kids, and will measure out oats and water into bowls, drizzle in the ACV and stir. Then leave on the counter overnight. In the morning, quick stir, pop into the microwave, and presto changeo breakfast. I serve it with butter and milk for them.

If you are not having issues with supply, I would find other options that are quick, satisfying, and filling. Perhaps a sweet potato for breakfast to give the carb boost but in a healthy way? Rice with an over easy egg? Maybe even some nuts and a banana to nosh on while getting the other kids out the door until you can have a breakfast moment with peace and quiet.

Comment

I agree with you about co-sleeping, in fact love it when my wee grandbabies come to stay. they often sleep the night with me and GG.
        However I suppose some things work for some folks, and not for others !
        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          I agree with you about co-sleeping, in fact love it when my wee grandbabies come to stay. they often sleep the night with me and GG.
          However I suppose some things work for some folks, and not for others !
          that is so awesome G. You are the best grandma

Comment

thanx Ayla - but no not quite the best - but I try
            "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

OK everybody, first of all, thank you for the comments. Let me clear a few things up.
              This is not my first rodeo. I am almost 40, I have 2 older kids ages 9 and 10, I nursed them, too, and had them sleep in my bed as well when they were very small. They transitioned to their own cribs with no issues, and they sleep in their own beds now.
              I have never had a milk supply problem. My son has more than doubled his birth weight in 2 months. He is happy and healthy.
              I will have a small glass of wine with dinner, not before bed.
              My question was to the Moms who perhaps have added oatmeal to their diet and found it to cause bloating or discomfort.
              *sigh*
              Nuts are an option, I tend go overboard with them, so I haven't kept any around lately. Maybe nuts and fruit and yogurt...I find with just the eggs I still WANT something else..sweet potato hashbrowns, I guess!

Comment

Or maybe you could try some unsweetened GRANOLA (that's oats, right? and maybe not
                so bloatful?) IN yogurt.

OMG, I'm salivating at the thought.

Comment

Ha Ha, I don't NEED to have the oatmeal, I was just wondering about others' experiences.
                  Update, no oatmeal for 2 days, and I look like I lost a few lbs around the middle.

Comment

Yes, oatmeal can cause me tummy troubles, as do most grains!

I do ok on rice, but not fabu. Bloating is most common.

I prefer to go the squash/sweet potato route.

Comment

Oatmeal is one of those things for me, that I just don't understand. I don't understand how some ppl, health gurus, can be so pro oatmeal. For weight loss, for lower cholesterol, and whatever else. And then others, are so con. Causes weight gain, bloating, etc.

And here is where I am coming from with that. When I started losing weight, I was CW way, which meant learning to eat and like Steel Cut Oats. Never really did before that. So then I start losing weight. I started liking Steel Cut. Then found primal and cut it out. Along the way, weight loss is slowing to stop.

So I thought I would try to do a few things I was doing before, borderline primal, or maybe not even borderline, I don't know, but things like cup of prepared Steel Cut Oats. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup chickpeas, which I never ate before trying to lose weight, but when I started to eat these things, I started to lose weight. (yes I also cut out lots and lots of other really bad things)

So anyways, added a few things back in, and now, I am up 8lbs. And this is with calories in check. Fat not going over 60grams most days. Even carbs not really going all that high. 150-175 at the most, but I was losing weight CW on way more. Again, I know that was way down from where it was. (fwiw, still under 100g carbs most days)

Sorry.... just typing outloud now and getting sidetracked.

Anyways, I thought I could get by with adding those things back in, since it worked before. And now I like oatmeal. With banana, and nutbutter, maybe little cocoa. Or blueberries w/cinnamon. It is like dessert to me and probably keeps me from porking out on cake or something. But I am learning, that I like cottage cheese just as much as oatmeal with these things. And greek yogurt too, but I thought I would try the oatmeal again.

So anyways, I just wonder why some of the health gurus, especially those that know grain is bad, and those that say to cut/watch your carbs... why they are still okay with oatmeal.
                      Last edited by gopintos; 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                        So anyways, added a few things back in, and now, I am up 8lbs. And this is with calories in check. Fat not going over 60grams most days. Even carbs not really going all that high. 150-175 at the most, but I was losing weight CW on way more. Again, I know that was way down from where it was. (fwiw, still under 100g carbs most days)

Sorry.... just typing outloud now and getting sidetracked.
                        Still talking to myself.... I was just thinking the main difference, back then I was chronic cardio also. When I went LC and lower calories, that pretty much stopped. Just no energy or desire.

Now I have added things back in, but I am not back to the exercise level that I was, though I have started some things again hmmmm. But my calories are still on the lower side. When I exercised more, I ate more also. hmmmmm

Okay sorry, back to regularly scheduled posting - oatmeal.

Comment

My thing on grains is this: I didn't realize they were at issue. I thought my issue was a sensitive stomach or something. Then I went vegan and discovered a dairy issue. Then later, when I went paleo, I discovered a grain issue.

small tummy upset. gas and bloating. sometimes constipation. but, I figured "that's life" not -- it's this stuff I'm eating. LOL and, there was a strong emotional connection to my stomach, too. Under stress? more upset tummy. Better to fast.

So, eating grains since discovering their connection to gas/tummy? Not a huge deal. I mean, I can eat them. Preference? Steel cut oats to instant oatmeal. Reality, instant oatmeal is easier to get, and sometimes I use it to keep my life simple (ie, traveling, staying as a guest at someone's house).

It takes several days to get symptoms -- so stacked up. I can feel 'extra full' after eating them, but if I'm doing normal fasting windows, etc. . . then it's no bigs. But if I eat them for several days running, then we end up with "bigs" -- smal stomach aches, bloating, etc.

I think that if I needed to increase carbs, I'd probably go potatoes/sweet potatoes and then also the fruit route.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            It takes several days to get symptoms -- so stacked up. I can feel 'extra full' after eating them, but if I'm doing normal fasting windows, etc. . . then it's no bigs. But if I eat them for several days running, then we end up with "bigs" -- smal stomach aches, bloating, etc.

I think that if I needed to increase carbs, I'd probably go potatoes/sweet potatoes and then also the fruit route.
                            This may be my trouble. It is catching up with me. I have been having it daily. Sometimes twice. I don't have stomach pains, but gaining. Well, I am on a losing trend now, I think. So will cut it back out and see what happens. I hope I don't have a dairy thing too. I really like to put my blueberries in something.

Comment

That's what it was Zoebird, I had been eating it every morning...I think it is cumulative, Gopintos, I remember eating it now and again and not having any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X