Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflammation Factor - I need to understand

Today I was playing with

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Actually I was checking the macro/micro nutrients, vitamins, the breakdown of saturated/mono/polyinsaturated fats, and the inflammation factor of the foods I usually eat. And something is not clear... According to this website, which seems to be quite rigorous (I am also checking other sources to compare the data), onion, garlic, carrots, turmeric and ginger are highly anti-inflammatory. So far so good, we already knew and that's why we love them.

But... some other ingredients which are very popular in the primal/paleo movement seem to be very inflammatory, some examples:

- coconut oil
    - coconut milk
    - butter oil (ghee)
    - tapioca

I agree, I agree: we do not drink coconut oil. A normal dose is 7 grams on a frying pan to sauté 100 grams of onions, in the end the balance is positive. The dose makes the poison right? Right! Then coconut milk may be an issue: it's easy to drop 200ml into a sauce, or when preparing a coconut milk kefir.

Tallow and lard are inflammatory, too, but much less compared to coconut oil and ghee. Oil of olive instead is anti-inflammatory, still nothing compared to the flaxseed oil (if it weren't for the fitoestrogens I would use it more often).

Tapioca is very inflammatory (like almost anything starchy such as rice or potatoes), if used as a thickener it may not be an issue, but as a flour replacement... I'd rather avoid eating 100 grams of baked, rancid tapioca, wouldn't you?

Another surprise, blueberries: according to the data they are slightly inflammatory. I agree that we eat blueberries for the anti-oxidant action which is something different, but then why not having strawberries instead (maybe less anti-oxidants, but mildly anti-inflammatory and half the sugars of blueberries)?

Finally, and provided nutritiondata is correct, some good news: macadamias and brazil-nuts are powerful anti-inflammatory foods. I feel less guilty to have my handful of both of them almost every day.

Any ideas? Where am I wrong?

P.S. Just for fun, check soybean oil... use it as a jolly when discussing with a vegan

Nah the site uses faulty logic algorithms or whatever to come to crap conclusions. Their "inflammatory" data less than useless.

Comment

um coconut oil is anti-inflammatory

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        Nah the site uses faulty logic algorithms or whatever to come to crap conclusions. Their "inflammatory" data less than useless.
        That entire "inflammatory index" is complete crap. It goes off of some book some lady wrote and uses a bunch of useless terms to define it.

Hilarious that coconut oil is but flax seed which is basically paint thinner, isnt.

In ending, pay no attention to it. Focus on vitamin/mineral content, saturated to polyunsaturated ratio and whatever macro you are trying to get/avoid. Or just eat real food.

Comment

I finally joined the site so I could reply to this thread because I ran into this nutrition tracker this week and was kind of boggled by some of its information. I had to look up a few things, then started testing it.

Raspberries have too much sugar. So do blueberries. Well, what about boneless skinless chicken breasts? Too much cholesterol (huh??). Think you're safe having spinach? NOPE! It's high in sodium. Who knew? Delicious ribeye steak, on the other hand, somehow manages to be low in sodium, but no doubt it's evil in other ways. The various ribeye entries also disagree on how inflammatory it might be. This thing is not even close to consistent.

I finally turned to kale. And indeed, raw kale had no negatives listed. However, a cup manages to have more sodium than a cup of saw spinach, yet somehow isn't a high sodium food.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            If only. The IF system is discussed here:

Inflammation and Health

... which may itself use faulty calculations and come to crap conclusions, that I agree

Comment

thank you, It goes off of some book some lady wrote and uses a bunch of useless terms to define it. good idea,

Comment

Ok, I did some investigations. In the end the most obvious answer was the correct one: the Inflammation Factor Index calculated the way it is calculated there, is BS. Enjoy your coconut oil and milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                  That entire "inflammatory index" is complete crap. It goes off of some book some lady wrote and uses a bunch of useless terms to define it.

Hilarious that coconut oil is but flax seed which is basically paint thinner, isnt.

In ending, pay no attention to it. Focus on vitamin/mineral content, saturated to polyunsaturated ratio and whatever macro you are trying to get/avoid. Or just eat real food.
                  Even a broken clock...
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Coconut oil, coconut milk. butter oil (ghee), as does lard,IS inflammatory due to their higher Omega 6 content than omega 3. Tapioca is inflammatory due to it being a starch ... as DOES ALL STARCHES!

HOWEVER, you really have to be judicious about where you get your information.
                    Source: . . . . nutritiondata.self.com/ . . inflammationfactor.com/
                    1 Tbsp coconut oil . . . . = -111 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = -115
                    1/2 C coconut milk . . . . = -217 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = -239
                    1 Tbsp butter oil. . . . . . = - 44 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = - 44
                    1/3 C tapioca, pearl dry. = -234 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = -235

WOW! Only 1 of the 4 items was correct!I I USED to use nutritiondata.self.com as a source but seeing how wrong they are, I think not. They JUST don't keep their info up-to-date.

Compare the true inflammatory factors
                    1/3 C tapioca, pearl dry. . = -235
                    1/3 C Arrowroot Flour . . . = -189
                    1/3 C Cornstarch . . . . . . = -216

That is also why almost ALL potatoes are inflammatory, due to the starch.

At least arrowroot is far healthier than its modern counterpart cornstarch. Cornstarch is basically devoid of nutrients, except for calories, calcium, and carbs. While arrowroot is less inflammatory, less calories, but more fiber, more calcium, more potassium, etc.

I love coconut oil and take about 1/4 cup per day in my diet HOWEVER, I also make sure I have enough omega 3 to offset it's inflammatory effects. So the natives having fish and shrimp in coconut is a GOOD THING!
                    Last edited by SteveJohnson; 01-18-2014, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Only 2% of coconut oil's calories come from Omega 6 fats. You could literally get your entire day's worth of calories from coconut oil and nothing else and still be within a healthy range for O6 intake.
                      __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                      Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                      End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                        Only 2% of coconut oil's calories come from Omega 6 fats. You could literally get your entire day's worth of calories from coconut oil and nothing else and still be within a healthy range for O6 intake.
                        Agreed, but with ZERO omega 3, it is inflammatory. Only a SMALL percentage of omega 6 higher than omega 3 will make it inflammatory.

I still use coconut oil a great deal because the benefits outweigh the negatives. Just make sure you add a lot of Omega 3 with it

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJohnson View Post
                          Agreed, but with ZERO omega 3, it is inflammatory. Only a SMALL percentage of omega 6 higher than omega 3 will make it inflammatory.

I still use coconut oil a great deal because the benefits outweigh the negatives. Just make sure you add a lot of Omega 3 with it
                          That makes absolutely no sense to me o0.

Sounds like a waste of time to worry about such minor details in food.
                          What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJohnson View Post

To my knowledge, the studies that claim to have "proven" that the ratio of O3:O6 matters are ones that showed a correlation between lowering O6 and improved health. If you eat a lot of PUFA, you are going to have a very high O6:O3 ratio, because the only way to get a low O6:O3 ratio in a natural diet is to eliminate seed oils and eat a LOT of fish. Eliminating O6 heavy seed oils will both improve the ratio AND drastically reduce your overall PUFA intake, which I believe is actually the critical factor.

My interpretation of those studies is that the real message is we should keep overall PUFA intake below ~5% of calories and make sure the PUFA we do eat comes packaged with natural vitamin E to help control the oxidation. (It is coincidence in my opinion that foods high in natural vitamin E happen to be the foods in nature that have a higher O3 balance.) I don't think it's the ratio that influences inflammation, I think it is the overall content of rapidly oxidized PUFA.
                            __________________________________________________ _____________________________
                            Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
                            End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Working...
                            X