Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs to balance hormones, how much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Mireia View Post
    I am working hard on increasing my carbs. I don't eat rice or potatoes.
    If you want carbs without the potatoes and rice, go for sweet fruit. It's pretty easy to pile up the carbs with bananas, tomatoes, and apples and oranges. Or you could ramp up honey and maple syrup -- both delicioius.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Why are you recommending she eat that much protein?
      I'm not recommending she eats any specific level of protein. I'm recommending she keeps her carb intake in a specific balance with her protein. If she eats less protein, she should lower carbs in kind. Similarly, if she eats more protein, she should increase carbs in kind. I used '100g' of protein because it is a very round number and it is easy to follow the math from a logical perspective. If I were to pick an obscure number like '77g,' it would be less clear. I clearly stated that '100g' is only for purposes of example and it was not a number she should necessarily shoot for.

      And BTW, that's not a lot of protein. I probably haven't eaten less than that in...God...years. I'd be more likely to double that not even trying. Mmm, meat.

      It's about balance. She's as free to eat as much or as little protein as she'd like.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        I'm not recommending she eats any specific level of protein. I'm recommending she keeps her carb intake in a specific balance with her protein. If she eats less protein, she should lower carbs in kind. Similarly, if she eats more protein, she should increase carbs in kind. I used '100g' of protein because it is a very round number and it is easy to follow the math from a logical perspective. If I were to pick an obscure number like '77g,' it would be less clear. I clearly stated that '100g' is only for purposes of example and it was not a number she should necessarily shoot for.

        And BTW, that's not a lot of protein. I probably haven't eaten less than that in...God...years. I'd be more likely to double that not even trying. Mmm, meat.

        It's about balance. She's as free to eat as much or as little protein as she'd like.
        You specifically said to eat 1g pro to 1g cho. If she is trying for 150~g Carbs then that is certainly too much protein for a woman who is not weight lifting and has hypothyroid issues.

        In this case i disagree that carb and pro should be balanced. The higher the amount of carbs then lower protein requirements will get.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Mireia View Post
          Carbs have been getting me bloated since reintroducing. I hope it will stop soon.
          What kind of carbs are you eating? Are you trying to consume carbs through sweet potatoes like Mark tends to recommend? I don't understand his sweet potato obsession...I mean they're awesome, but there are other options. They are high in soluble fiber and have a considerable fructose component. Try white potatoes, which are "cleaner" - they're easier to digest, have better quality protein and next to no sugar. You may find yourself bloating less on them, especially if you remove the skin. Sweet potatoes make me a lot gassier than white potatoes if I decide to eat 2-3 lbs in a sitting. Which I tend to do

          Other options may be mashed or fried green/less than perfectly ripe plantains and bananas and white rice. I usually find the lower the fiber content, the less you'll bloat.

          You could also just be eating too many carbs in a sitting, or combining them with too much fat. Generally, if you're going to go carb-crazy, keep fat as low as possible or you'll bloat up. Similarly, you kind of want to keep your carb intake within the range that it fits into glycogen storage - if you're not a big lifter and depleting your glycogen and you carb up, you'll bloat more.
          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

          Comment


          • #35
            ChocoTaco

            Sweet potatos are most likely to cause me bloating. Are white potatoes different from yellow potatos? I have been avoiding regular potatoes for a while now.
            My protein intake used to be about 110g. Now that I eat a little less fat (80-100g) and more carbs (123 grams yesterday) my protein intake went down to about 23. Not sure if that is too low. It really varies though depending on how many eggs I eat.

            I am not lifting weights but a 25lbs child can get heavy. When we go out I rately use a stroller and instead just hold him. I can do anything one handed. Breastfeeding also takes away calories and energy. Not sure that counts as a workout? I don't work out aside from that really because of the baby. Once in a while I get to shoot my bow, or slap a volleyball around, or ride a horse, but its rare.

            I neither want to go arb crazy nor fat crazy. Is there a way of doing this without bloating? The large amounts of fat have helped me with other things like not being rested in the morning and hypoglycemia. It is also easier to keep weight on that way.
            Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
            30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
            I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by oxide View Post
              If you want carbs without the potatoes and rice, go for sweet fruit. It's pretty easy to pile up the carbs with bananas, tomatoes, and apples and oranges. Or you could ramp up honey and maple syrup -- both delicioius.
              I eat a lot of honey and bananas!
              Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
              30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
              I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Zach View Post
                You specifically said to eat 1g pro to 1g cho. If she is trying for 150~g Carbs then that is certainly too much protein for a woman who is not weight lifting and has hypothyroid issues.

                In this case i disagree that carb and pro should be balanced. The higher the amount of carbs then lower protein requirements will get.
                Huh?

                She is making a mistake focusing on carbohydrate. You should be focusing on the balance - dictating your protein consumption based on carbohydrate consumption is silly. She should be doing the opposite and basing carbs on protein. If you are eating a low protein diet, then you don't need to ingest as much carbohydrate to balance out the glucagon. Consuming so much carbohydrate over protein may be a contributor to the bloating.

                And again, 100g of protein is not "a lot" of protein. That's about a pound of meat a day. Who can't eat 5-6oz of meat per meal? That isn't much.

                Another focus is the type of protein. Not everything should be muscle meat. Focus on adding some eggs and high protein dairy to your diet. Probably 1/3 of my protein comes from eggs, dairy and cheese. I try not to eat ridiculous sums of phosphate-rich muscle meat because it depletes calcium (dairy will balance that).

                If you want to consume less dairy, another option is to shift your meat to gelatinous cuts like shanks and oxtail because they are richer in calcium.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                  Sweet potatos are most likely to cause me bloating. Are white potatoes different from yellow potatos? I have been avoiding regular potatoes for a while now.
                  Yes. Sweet potatoes and white potatoes are in two entirely different families. White potatoes are a nightshade, while sweet potatoes are part of the morning glory family. White potatoes are closer to a tomato than a sweet potato. If by "yellow potato" you mean a "white sweet potato," they are entirely different.

                  You want a cheap bag of russet potatoes. They're usually about $2/5 lbs

                  Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                  My protein intake used to be about 110g. Now that I eat a little less fat (80-100g) and more carbs (123 grams yesterday) my protein intake went down to about 23. Not sure if that is too low. It really varies though depending on how many eggs I eat.
                  That sounds okay. I assume you are not counting carbohydrate from fibrous vegetables? I wouldn't count carbs from any greens or vegetation. The lowest-carb carbs I'd count are squashes, if that makes sense.

                  Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                  I am not lifting weights but a 25lbs child can get heavy. When we go out I rately use a stroller and instead just hold him. I can do anything one handed. Breastfeeding also takes away calories and energy. Not sure that counts as a workout? I don't work out aside from that really because of the baby. Once in a while I get to shoot my bow, or slap a volleyball around, or ride a horse, but its rare.

                  I neither want to go arb crazy nor fat crazy. Is there a way of doing this without bloating? The large amounts of fat have helped me with other things like not being rested in the morning and hypoglycemia. It is also easier to keep weight on that way.
                  Try experimenting with different carb sources first. I have my preferential starch list and I go as follows:

                  Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, plantains, white rice, nixtamilized non-GMO corn tortillas (they MUST be non-GMO and nixtamalized, meaning they're "treated with lime (calcluim carbonate, not lime juice)" which makes them a clean starch). Sweet potatoes are my favorite based on taste, but bloat me the worst. White potatoes and white rice bloat me the least. Try them I'd say.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                    My protein intake used to be about 110g. Now that I eat a little less fat (80-100g) and more carbs (123 grams yesterday) my protein intake went down to about 23. Not sure if that is too low. It really varies though depending on how many eggs I eat.

                    I am not lifting weights but a 25lbs child can get heavy. When we go out I rately use a stroller and instead just hold him. I can do anything one handed. Breastfeeding also takes away calories and energy. Not sure that counts as a workout? I don't work out aside from that really because of the baby. Once in a while I get to shoot my bow, or slap a volleyball around, or ride a horse, but its rare.

                    I neither want to go arb crazy nor fat crazy. Is there a way of doing this without bloating? The large amounts of fat have helped me with other things like not being rested in the morning and hypoglycemia. It is also easier to keep weight on that way.
                    You are only eating 23g of protein?? Up that! Especially if you are breastfeeding.

                    Protein should be at about .8-1g/lb LBM for those who are sedentary to active. There isn't really a huge need in eating more than that. 100g is probably about right.

                    You should aim for a minimum of 100g of carbs a day (not counting those from fibrous veggies). That's your base. Fill in the rest of your calories with fat and carbs depending on how they make you feel. If you feel better higher fat, do it. If you feel better higher carb, do that. Just try not to go below that 100g of carbs a day.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                      I am not eating rice or potatoes atm. But I get lots of carbs from fruits, veggies, tubers and roots. There shouldn't be a difference between carbs from rice and carbs from plants right?
                      I'm confused. Isn't a potato a tuber?

                      Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that I had a similar thing to you, which I self-diagnosed as a thyroid problem. My solution was to add rice, potatoes and kumara back into my diet, along with taking Brazil Nuts and Nori (for Selenium and Iodine respectively). We don't really eat rice much at all, but we definitely eat more potatoes and kumara more days than not.

                      I find that my diet right now lines up almost exactly with the perfect health diet.

                      Originally posted by Mireia View Post
                      I find a lot of confusing information out there. Some are totally against carbs, some are pro carbs, some say to only eat good, paleo carbs, while others eat rice...it is hard to tell who is right and wrong tbh.
                      Yeah, and at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is how you feel when you eat the foods. So experiment and see. Have different configurations of 'safe' foods and try them in month long blocks. That will give you an idea if there are combinations that don't work for you. It sounds like you've already realised that low carb doesn't wotk for you, so I guess the alternatives are:
                      1. Include bananas and Kumara
                      2. above, plus potatoes
                      3. above, plus rice
                      4. above, plus other grains

                      I can't really say what 'how much' is, but don't be afraid of carbs. We tend to go for even splits of protein, carbs and fat on our plate.

                      In terms of gaining weight, I would recommend increased fat rather than more carbohydrates (although there's nothing wrong with carbohydrates). My wife struggled a little producing milk for our first, and when we switched from margarine to butter (pre-primal) her milk production shot up.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                      Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by NDF View Post
                        You are only eating 23g of protein?? Up that! Especially if you are breastfeeding.

                        Protein should be at about .8-1g/lb LBM for those who are sedentary to active. There isn't really a huge need in eating more than that. 100g is probably about right.

                        You should aim for a minimum of 100g of carbs a day (not counting those from fibrous veggies). That's your base. Fill in the rest of your calories with fat and carbs depending on how they make you feel. If you feel better higher fat, do it. If you feel better higher carb, do that. Just try not to go below that 100g of carbs a day.
                        I totally misread that. I thought I read that she was eating less protein and cut out about 23g per day and were now sitting at 80-100g/day. I didn't see that she was at 80-100g of fat. That is wayyyyy too much fat. I'd drop that substantially to get to about 100g per day. That's only around 1 lb of meat in a whole day, which is very little. I'd back that off to about 60g of fat/day and up protein at its expense.

                        You'd probably see a nice shift in body composition from simply doing that by cutting that much fat out while maintaining the same calories (and weight).
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Huh?

                          She is making a mistake focusing on carbohydrate. You should be focusing on the balance - dictating your protein consumption based on carbohydrate consumption is silly. She should be doing the opposite and basing carbs on protein. If you are eating a low protein diet, then you don't need to ingest as much carbohydrate to balance out the glucagon. Consuming so much carbohydrate over protein may be a contributor to the bloating.

                          And again, 100g of protein is not "a lot" of protein. That's about a pound of meat a day. Who can't eat 5-6oz of meat per meal? That isn't much.

                          Another focus is the type of protein. Not everything should be muscle meat. Focus on adding some eggs and high protein dairy to your diet. Probably 1/3 of my protein comes from eggs, dairy and cheese. I try not to eat ridiculous sums of phosphate-rich muscle meat because it depletes calcium (dairy will balance that).

                          If you want to consume less dairy, another option is to shift your meat to gelatinous cuts like shanks and oxtail because they are richer in calcium.
                          I don't eat dairy aside from raw butter but was thinking of adding small amounts of raw cheese or raw butter. We just haven't been to the farm where we used to get it, but I am sure it will up the protein intake.
                          I think 23 was a mistake, some days I don't add up all the foods I was eating that day. So I may habe looked at that. Yesterday my protein intake was 80g. Some days it will be more depending on how much meat it eat.

                          I never knew certain meats deplete calcium. I think my calcium intake might be low to begin with.
                          Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                          30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                          I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Yes. Sweet potatoes and white potatoes are in two entirely different families. White potatoes are a nightshade, while sweet potatoes are part of the morning glory family. White potatoes are closer to a tomato than a sweet potato. If by "yellow potato" you mean a "white sweet potato," they are entirely different.

                            You want a cheap bag of russet potatoes. They're usually about $2/5 lbs


                            That sounds okay. I assume you are not counting carbohydrate from fibrous vegetables? I wouldn't count carbs from any greens or vegetation. The lowest-carb carbs I'd count are squashes, if that makes sense.


                            Try experimenting with different carb sources first. I have my preferential starch list and I go as follows:

                            Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, plantains, white rice, nixtamilized non-GMO corn tortillas (they MUST be non-GMO and nixtamalized, meaning they're "treated with lime (calcluim carbonate, not lime juice)" which makes them a clean starch). Sweet potatoes are my favorite based on taste, but bloat me the worst. White potatoes and white rice bloat me the least. Try them I'd say.
                            I was counting all carbs. I don't know which veggies are fibrous tbh. Yesterday I counted zucchini.
                            Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                            30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                            I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              I totally misread that. I thought I read that she was eating less protein and cut out about 23g per day and were now sitting at 80-100g/day. I didn't see that she was at 80-100g of fat. That is wayyyyy too much fat. I'd drop that substantially to get to about 100g per day. That's only around 1 lb of meat in a whole day, which is very little. I'd back that off to about 60g of fat/day and up protein at its expense.

                              You'd probably see a nice shift in body composition from simply doing that by cutting that much fat out while maintaining the same calories (and weight).
                              Body composition? What is that? Sorry I am totally oblivious to all things work out and getting the body to look "worked out" :/
                              I also don't eat a lot of meat, because the good meat can be so expensive and we are on a budget. About how much meat a day is balanced?
                              Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                              30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                              I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by NDF View Post
                                You are only eating 23g of protein?? Up that! Especially if you are breastfeeding.

                                Protein should be at about .8-1g/lb LBM for those who are sedentary to active. There isn't really a huge need in eating more than that. 100g is probably about right.

                                You should aim for a minimum of 100g of carbs a day (not counting those from fibrous veggies). That's your base. Fill in the rest of your calories with fat and carbs depending on how they make you feel. If you feel better higher fat, do it. If you feel better higher carb, do that. Just try not to go below that 100g of carbs a day.
                                Right now I am eating high carb and high fat I think. The 23 g was a mistake, I actually eat about 80g. I am sure I can raise it to about 100 somehow. Just still figuring things out.
                                I also need to watch my calorie intake since I drop weight quickly. Lately I have been gaining, so I think eating more carbs can help with that too.
                                Currently eating strict Paleo, no rice or potatoes. I want to increase carbs and make sure my ratio of carbs, protein and fat is right for me.
                                30, 5'5" and 108 lbs (formerly 100 lbs)
                                I don't work out but I chase and nurse a toddler all day

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X