Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo? Yeah or Na

Hi all,

I am new to launching on the adventure of going primal and I have a quick question. Is Mayonnaise ok or should I steer clear?

Depends on the ingredients. If you make it yourself, using eggs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, then it's fine.

I would stay the hell away from store bought mayonnaise unless you plan on making it your 20%.

Ingredient list of a popular store-bought mayonnaise: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Nooooooo....
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

eggs and oil, what's to argue with?

edit: as above, that's homemade stuff i'm talking about

Comment

I make my own and it is delicious.

Comment

Definitely avoid any store bought mayo. It's easy enough to make on your own if you have a food processor or immersion blender. It might take you some time to get used to the different flavor of the homemade mayo, but eventually you will lose your taste for the store bought stuff.

Comment

I make my own, but have found I like to substitute sour cream for mayo in most things ... it's a lot easier.

Comment

One of the very few non-Primal things lingering in my house is mayo. I use the olive oil kind, but it still has some soybean oil in it. I consider it my 20%, but I do need to get into the habit of making my own. I don't use mayo that often anyway, occasionally I plop a bit into dips/dressings to mellow out the sour cream or yogurt tang a bit. I've found that using avocado in tuna/chicken salads is much tastier, and I don't do sandwiches very often anymore since making paleo/primal bread is an event. Once this jar is gone, it stays gone.

Comment

It's easy to make mayo. Olive oil - make sure it's not the strong flavor extra virgin kind, egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.

The store bought kind, definitely a no no. I have seen Spectrum offering mayo made with canola oil, which is definitely not Primal but still a step up from soy bean. I have no idea if it's any good taste wise though.

Comment

ah mustard! that's what i'm missing!

Made mayo three times so far and yes it's a different taste to storebought (less sweet by far!) but it still feels like it's missing something. I will try mustard next time.

Comment

I have had a hard time giving up store mayo - I still like mixing it with canned tuna. When the price is right I try to only use Hain's Safflower Maya. The ingredients profile doesn't look too bad: Hain Safflower Mayonnaise (12 fl oz)

Comment

I have had a hard time giving up store mayo - I still like mixing it with canned tuna. When the price is right I try to only use Hain's Safflower Mayo through right now I have WF brand Canola Maya. The ingredients profile doesn't look too bad: Hain Safflower Mayonnaise (12 fl oz) ....but then I searched the sight and read that Safflower oil may not be so good.....so cross that off the list!

Comment

I use vegenaise, the type made from grapeseed. It's not perfect but it's tasty and no canola or soy that way.

Comment

I use Greek yogurt and sour cream in tuna salad. The kids don't even notice.
                          Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                          Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

The one I use is made with rapeseed oil. It's probably not the best, but I've tried making mayo with olive oil and it tasted horrible. I've never seen any 'light' olive oil in stores here to try with.

Comment

Avocado oil makes a light tasting mayo. Adding garlic powder gives it a zip.

Store bought should be part of your 20. Mayo was one of the last processed foods I gave up. It was easier once I stopped eating canned tuna because the price of tuna with no soy in bpa free cans just doesn't seem worth it for pre-cooked dried out fish.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X