No announcement yet.

Sardines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Crunch crunch crunch* Mmmm... bones good. Love them.

It might be where you grew up. People who grew up on the coasts probably got used to some fish in their diets from childhood. My parents regularly had canned smoked fish in the house, and once I received Communion, Mom made salmon patties from canned salmon every Friday (way to be creative mom).

We also regularly ate shrimp, clams, and squid. And not deep fried, but usually sauteed. Clams went on top of pasta with a garlic sauce. Mussels were usually a holiday thing. And like the good (cough) Sicilian Catholics that we were, on Christmas Eve, there were no meat meals, so we ate a lot of fish. Even silly 1950s hors d'oeuvres like cream cheese and anchovies on crackers. In summer, Mom and Dad would go to the Cape and bring home lobsters, so not an every day treat.

Another vote for Wild Planet. They are so plump in comparison to sardines I've had from the grocery store. Cans are bpa free, which I think is important for an old lady (me). And honestly, the bones aren't like hard bones, they're just a little crunchy. They make one (and other brands do also) that are in lemon and olive oil, so that might be a nice introduction to them.

If you're squeamish re: sardines, I'm guessing sucking the heads of crawfish would be out? Just kidding - I can't get past my ick factor and eat turtle soup, even though I'm a five block walk from a restaurant that prides itself in its turtle soup. It's not the turtle, it's ripping the shell off that gives me nightmares. *whimper*
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

OMG, I love turtles so much, please, guys, don't eat them.
      Stop, help them across the road, they're so precious (and slow
      Ck out the sea turtle museum if you're ever on Jekyll island, GA.

Comment

Love sardines, tuna, anchovies, catfish, almost anything that swims, but much more if it's oily. Swordfish is too dry for me. I love them meat, bones, head, and all (well, not really the tail). Mix them with Mayo in a salad, then you won't see them. Chop them in a sauce, it adds great taste, mix them in a spread, in cottage cheese, etc, and put on celery, on slices of turnips, make a dip for carrots. I love them anyway I can think of.
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Just wanted to update - after reading this thread I'm having the tin of sardines I had in my pantry for breakfast, with some organic garlic tomato sauce. I add it to the spring water they're in and it's aaaalmost like cioppino! Okay, not really, but it's still really good. I also get Wild Planet, whose tins are BPA free. The fish are scaled, but still have skin. I'm not sure if they're smoked or not - I looked on the packaging and on their website just now but didn't see anything about how they're cooked. Here is their website, you can order from it!: Products and Online Shopping
          29/F
          5'4.5
          Highest weight: 220
          Starting weight: 195
          Current weight: 179
          Goal weight: 127

Comment

Got about 10 cans in the pantry right now. I eat a few tins each week.

Love me some fisherman's eggs

Comment

I have a ton of Wild Planet ones. I had never really eaten sardines before going primal, but it's easy. I prefer them to tuna now. I think they taste better.

Comment

I usually eat a can of sardines in tomato sauce, 425 gram, per week, and it comes in addition to the regular fish or seafood. When I open the can I mash the sardines with a fork into a pasta with the tomato sauce, and I use a few tablespoons in my soup, the rest I put into the freezer for the next days...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

little kippered herrings are a little easier to eat than sardines, if sardines freak you out.

tho i like both.

Comment

I usually just throw them in my blender and just drink it up....sardine smoothies baby

Comment

you guys need to Primal up and eat your sardines (in EVOO - not water or soybean oil) with bones, skins etc.

They are a superfood, easy, convenient owing to their portability ad shelf life as well as inexpensive. They taste great! Just gotta pick your favorite brand.

They are one of TFC's favorite foods; so nutritious it's really worth forcing yourself to eat them.
                      ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by macks View Post
                        I usually just throw them in my blender and just drink it up....sardine smoothies baby
                        Good idea! Maybe I could blend the sardines with vodka, tomato sauce, tabasco and lemon juice to some kind of a "Bloody Mary"? Have to try that some day...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I have always loved fish of any kind, long before I began moving towards Primal. I do eat sardines; headless, but with skin and bones in olive oil, and I don't really like them. The oil adds a slimy texture to a "fishy" tasting fish, and I burp them up for hours after - not good for anyone.

Are sardines in water that much worse, if I get plenty of EVOO elsewhere?

Comment

I buy 5 tins at a time. I always buy them in fresh spring water and never in EVOO anymore. I read a study last year that showed sardines and other fish that is in EVOO are more prone to oxidation. Obviously brands differ as does quality. But to avoid all that I buy my sardines in spring water. I agree that the EVOO gives it a slimy texture and I get enough EVOO with my salad dressing.

But back to the main topic, Sardines are great! They taste better than tuna in my opinion and are loaded with o3. I eat them with the skin and bones which I hardly even notice when eating. They can be stored for a long period of time and are pretty cheap in price when compared to wild caught salmon. My grandparents loved sardines and it was their go to "fast food" when they needed something quick or when they were camping/hunting.
                            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I didn't read any of this but I want you all to know that I eat an average of 4oz of sardines a day. God I love them.
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                                Good idea! Maybe I could blend the sardines with vodka, tomato sauce, tabasco and lemon juice to some kind of a "Bloody Mary"? Have to try that some day...
                                That sounds awesome. Or, if you didn't want to liquify the fish, all the other items as a sauce and garnish with the sardines.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X