Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep trying keep failing

hello all.
    I am new to this site and way of life and am convinced of its benefits. I really want to be one of the success stories that are so inspiring. When I try this way of life I feel great physically and on the whole pretty good mentally and emotionally but I manage about 3 weeks each time I try and then revert back to sugar and carbs. I have been doing this now for about 6 months and know that this cannot be good for my health but seem unable to be consistent. I could really do with some advise. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any UK support groups.
    thankyou in advance because I know the answer is out there somewhere

Primal/Paleo is not necessarily synonymous with low-carb. What carbs have you been eating? Can you provide a sample daily meal list so we know what you've been eating and what you've potentially been lacking?

If you are craving carbs, you may just need to eat some more! It can be that simple. Try having some sweet potato, berries, tea with raw honey, carrots, dates, or banana.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Post an example of what you eat in a day.
      5'7'' 127 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Comment

If you're eating whole unprocessed foods, grain-free, 3 weeks out of 4, how can that be worse than eating crap 4 weeks out of 4? The glass is half full, well, 3/4 full actually, so stop beating yourself up.

If you can be more specific about what exactly is tripping you up, you may get some good ideas on how make this easier.
        50yo, 5'3"
        SW-195
        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Breakfast
          Live full fat yoghurt with a handful of berries
          2 Poached eggs with a steamed green veg
          Lunch
          Mozzarella, avocado, tomato, salad
          A few nuts
          Banana

Dinner
          Grain free sausages
          Cooked with onion,pepper,tomatoes ,herbs (yummy)

Sometimes breakfast keeps me full till early evening and I may have some nuts and fruit for lunch.

Comment

That sounds yummy but it's not very MUCH food. Maybe you just need to eat a bit more primal food instead of gravitating to the sugar and carbs. If you need the energy add some calories such as butter on your steamed veg at breakfast, extra olives in your salad, and a potato or sweet potato with sour cream at dinner.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              That sounds yummy but it's not very MUCH food. Maybe you just need to eat a bit more primal food instead of gravitating to the sugar and carbs. If you need the energy add some calories such as butter on your steamed veg at breakfast, extra olives in your salad, and a potato or sweet potato with sour cream at dinner.
              Yes agree with this
              just keep at it, it does become easier.

Comment

Originally posted by spiralgirl View Post
                hello all.
                I am new to this site and way of life and am convinced of its benefits. I really want to be one of the success stories that are so inspiring. When I try this way of life I feel great physically and on the whole pretty good mentally and emotionally but I manage about 3 weeks each time I try and then revert back to sugar and carbs. I have been doing this now for about 6 months and know that this cannot be good for my health but seem unable to be consistent. I could really do with some advise. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any UK support groups.
                thankyou in advance because I know the answer is out there somewhere
                I don't wish to be harsh but "the answer" is never "out there". The answer lies within yourself. Stop trying and just do it. No excuses, balls to the wall. Stop with the excuses and plan properly and execute. It's time to stop making excuses for yourself and your behaviour. Look in towards yourself and commit. No more buts.
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Well, your diet seems very very low carbs, as it seems your only carbs come from the berries and banana. Try adding some tubers, squash, etc. and bump up your carbs one day per week, like Mark says in this post: Can Carb Refeeds Boost Stalled Weight Loss? | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, the amount you're eating is very very little, so you probably should just eat more. Add some almond milk (or dairy milk, if you can handle it), kefir, meats, tubers, and other calorie-dense foods.

Not everyone responds to super-low carb diets; I'm one of them. I keep my carbs around 130-160 daily, and any time I'd go lower for too long, I'd basically lose my mojo: I'd get lazy and crave things I usually don't (candy, etc.)
                  >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                  >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                  >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Balls to the wall, LOL, but she's right.
                    Keep a journal, read Mark's book and live it.
                    Don't keep junk food in your house.

Comment

So what keeps happening at the 3 week mark? Carb flu? Get tired of cooking? Run out of grocery money?

Successful eating takes successful planning. And I suggest you PLAN to eat plenty of fat, eggs, tasty meat, and raw or roasted (in fat) veggies. At that 3 week point, have a feast planned!
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by spiralgirl View Post
                        Breakfast
                        Live full fat yoghurt with a handful of berries
                        2 Poached eggs with a steamed green veg
                        Lunch
                        Mozzarella, avocado, tomato, salad
                        A few nuts
                        Banana

Dinner
                        Grain free sausages
                        Cooked with onion,pepper,tomatoes ,herbs (yummy)

Sometimes breakfast keeps me full till early evening and I may have some nuts and fruit for lunch.
                        Can you add bacon to breakfast? How about adding a canned fish, tuna or sardines, to lunch, and a green vegie to dinner. That should do it. If you're too full at lunch, can you skip lunch and eat dinner earlier, or not skip lunch and eat dinner later?

Many people at 50 don't eat as many calories. You can keep track of the calories at paleotrack.com or another similar site. Are you very active? I think this 'fat burning theory' requires being active if not exercise.
                        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I second Sandra: what makes you give up? You say you feel great physically eating like this, so what makes you stop? Identifying this is the first and most important step to lasting change. I also agree with what a few others have said, that you should maybe eat more. If you're trying to track calories on purpose, stop for a little while. Let yourself have your fill of yummy, healthy food, and you can worry about weight loss and calories once you've transitioned and are already getting healthier.

Especially in the beginning, don't be too strict: go ahead and have a bunch of carbs from tubers, sweet potatoes, etc.; make yourself some tasty primal treats / desserts; add some more butter or coconut oil if you want it; have some bacon! Making eating primal an indulgence, not a punishment. Commit whole-heartedly and believe that this will not only be a success, but it will be FUN! And keep reading / posting on MDA--it's a great way to stay motivated.

Comment

I think adding in more primal carbs, especially the starchy things a bit will help kill the cravings before they start. I'm guessing a lot of what you are eating when you "go off" are starchy grain foods?

How is your gut health? If your bacterial balance is off and/ or you have a leaky gut this will continue to give you cravings. Try upping fermented foods a ton and see if this makes any difference for you.
                            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Thankyou everyone there are some great suggestions. I could definitely improve my planning and I will try to eat more starchy carbs I was concerned that I was eating too many carbs and that they were triggering cravings. My gut health isn't good and I have had Rosacea for 20 years. This got very much worse on my first attempt at this way of eating which I wasn't very encouraged by. I continue because despite this everything else felt better. Yes the answers are within us but we can still learn and get support from others. I have tried hard and I am making mistakes somewhere and am trying to learn from other people's experiences of this. On the days where I have eaten oily fish this has been easier so I will increase those. I like the suggestion to enjoy this !!! .. Note to self and the journal is something I haven't tried so here goes.
                              Thanks everyone I will keep posting

Comment

Working...
                              X