Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does cheese halt weight loss/make one gain but Whey and yogurt do not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
    Protein, especially Whey is the insulinogenic part in milk to my knowlegde, lactose like fructose doesent spike insulin at all...
    Caseins are insulinogenic too:

On Dairy and Insulin | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

3/4 stick = 600 calories, BUT I have found the butter to be much more filling / appetite-suppressing than eggs.
      I can eat 6 eggs at a time, but they WILL NOT fill me up or cut my hunger like the butter will.
      Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Originally posted by Wulf View Post
        3/4 stick = 600 calories, BUT I have found the butter to be much more filling / appetite-suppressing than eggs.
        I can eat 6 eggs at a time, but they WILL NOT fill me up or cut my hunger like the butter will.
        Yes, I miscalculated assuming butter was pure fat, but anyway 600 calories in 3/4 stick of butter or the same as 8 large eggs, that's still a lot of food!
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I love eggs a lot, but I am never hungry in the mornings so I don't like to actually eat when I get up. The butter coffee gets calories in without seeming like eating, and it's just my experience that it is much more long-term filling than eggs. For the sake of cost and convenience, I would not do more than 1/2 stick (400 calories), so that one pack of butter gives 8 servings and it's not calorie overkill either. Honestly I don't have butter coffee very often, as I haven't been having problems with late-day cravings recently, as long as I don't have any restaurant food and just bring my own food to work.

On topic: I love cheese, and I still eat that along with cream cheese and sour cream, but I don't drink milk. I started eating along the Atkins lines before I got more into Paleo, and those things align with lower carbs. I tried to look for a not-non-fat greek yogurt at the store yesterday and it seems to not exist. And almost all the yogurts have huge amounts of sugar, except the "carb master" which I don't trust because I think it's just a bunch of weird fillers. The one whole-fat yogurt is also full of sugar. The greek yogurt I usually get for my husband is 0g fat, which I don't like, so I don't eat it myself. I feel that I'm getting in line with Paleo in that, if it doesn't have fat, it doesn't qualify as real food. Good news is, the chain grocery store finally has a sale on Kefir but it too is fruit flavored and full of sugar.... It's a mine field out there.
          Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Since Greek yogurt is a fad these days I stay away from it. I get goat or sheep yogurt or I get Wallaby yogurt. Two ingredients: milk and culture.

As for cheese, it's best with wine, which only makes it even more fattening. (goes to get another piece of cheese and another glass of wine.)
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I often eat 1-2 ounces of high quality cheese as part of my lunch plate (usually about 4 oz of lean deli meat, apple slices, fresh berries, some veggie sticks, maybe a few almonds). I mostly use either cheese or avocado as my fat source for the meal. And I haven't noticed any adverse effect on my weight management. However, I try to always keep my weight between 145 and 150. I don't worry if it varies as long as it stays within that range. But if it starts creeping up over 150, all dairy gets the axe for a while, as well as alcohol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
              Last edited by Grokkette; 05-15-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Does cheese pack a hefty insulin spike?

I absolutely can't eat it without fattening up, and it has nothing to do with the calories.

Comment

Working...
                X