Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does cheese halt weight loss/make one gain but Whey and yogurt do not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sort of applies to me as well. I eat 8 eggs give or take a day and when i eat cheese ill cut up a few ounces, say 3 or less, and eat that in place of 3 eggs which is almost a straight swap calorie for calorie, fat for fat, protein for protein. I did this over the course of a week and noticed that my weight loss completely stopped. Not that I had much of anything to lose. Cheese is a finicky business.

Comment

Well, it is not competely true that ALL cheese are that calorie dense either, and my favorite cheese, a very tasty fresh cheese that I use to eat daily, has the following macros for 90 gram of cheese (=3 servings!): Calories: 135, fat: 3,9 gram, carbs: 3.0 gram, proteins: 24 gram.
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

That Dubliner cheese really is good. I didn't expect it to be so damn good.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by primal_alex View Post
          Anybody noticed that cheese made of caseins (highly inflammatory proteins which also drive insulin peaks), while whey is... whey, just not caseins. Additionally, yogurt is fermented: there are still caseins in there, but have beendenaturede.
          I thought cheese is fermented as well. How does the long fermentation time of cheese affect caseins v. the short fermentation of yogurt?

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
            I thought cheese is fermented as well. How does the long fermentation time of cheese affect caseins v. the short fermentation of yogurt?
            I thought so too....I just thought that cheese has a way higher concentration of casein because it's strained a lot harder than yogurt, so as much of the whey is removed as possible.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Both whey and casein are awesome, but what we usually call "cheese" is made from the seperation of casein. Whey isolate spikes insulin far more than casein, and even more than pure sugar. For this reason many strenght athletes are using Whey isolate post-workout and casein is often used before bedtime since it takes much more time to digest.
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I thought it was the lactose that was insulinogenic.

Comment

Protein, especially Whey is the insulinogenic part in milk to my knowlegde, lactose like fructose doesent spike insulin at all...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Oops.

Comment

IDK about insulin, but fruit (whole fruit, straight from the tree, just one piece) sure does spike my blood sugar.
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Fruits have lots of glucose that will raise your blood sugar, but you must be very sensitive if only one piece is enough to create a spike though! OK, one piece of Papaya may spike even my blood sugar, maybe...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Yes, I am. I was when I was eating 300+gm whole foods carb a day and still am now when it's the dead of winter and I have almost none. Very annoying.
                          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

since I'm consuming mostly all protein, if I do go overboard it generally goes more to muscle than fat.
                            are you saying that excess calories from protein go towards building muscle rather than getting stored as fat?

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                              I pour fat on my breakfast every morning, a 1/4C full, and it doesn't make me gain weight. When I don't do this, I crave food all day long, and *then* I gain weight.
                              True story. When I have bulletproof coffee in the morning, it greatly suppresses food cravings the rest of the day.
                              (1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter blended in)

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                              are you saying that excess calories from protein go towards building muscle rather than getting stored as fat?
                              afaik there is only so much protein your body needs, and when you have an excess of it, it gets converted or excreted. Eating more protein does not automatically mean muscle building, and it very well can be converted to fat for storage, if your body does not have need of it as protein. Protein is preferable to carbs, but there are definitely issues to be had with too much protein.
                              Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Originally posted by Wulf View Post
                                True story. When I have bulletproof coffee in the morning, it greatly suppresses food cravings the rest of the day.
                                (1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter blended in)
                                Hmmm, let me see here; 3/4 stick of butter = 766 calories, the same amount as 10 large eggs! If I eat 10 large eggs and drink some black coffee then I will also greatly suppress foodcravings, don't you think?

And choosing between 10 large eggs and black coffee and bulletproof coffee only, I would rather go for the first option...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X