Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This probably gets asked all the time...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This probably gets asked all the time...

but how much coffee do you think is too much?

I generally drink my coffee black, though I decided to try heavy cream for my first cup of the day. Right now I guess I do use it for 'energy', which the Primal Blueprint advises against, but I haven't been primal that long! I do get between 7-9 hours of sleep each night, and I'm striving for consistency there, but as a college student working full time it's going to take some careful planning.

So, I usually drink either two or three 12oz cups of coffee a day, typically only one of those has cream in it.

Do you think that's excessive coffee consumption?

Also, I'm trying not to overdue it on the dairy. I've gotten non-homogenized(hope I spelled that right), organic milk with nothing added to it and I haven't actually purchased any cheese because most of it at the store is rubbish. I also bought a few singe serving containers of full-fat plain greek yogurt, also organic with no added crap thrown in.

Do you think a little heavy cream in my coffee in the mornings, with the potential to have some greek yogurt or milk later in the day(but probably not every day) is alright for someone who hasn't noticed any adverse dairy effects?

Originally posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    So, I usually drink either two or three 12oz cups of coffee a day, typically only one of those has cream in it.

Do you think that's excessive coffee consumption

I easily drink 3 times that much. I don't think it is excessive until it effects you negatively. If you are shaking from over-caffienation then yes, it is too much. If you can't get out of the house without 3 cups, then you have other issues. If you drink it, enjoy it, and have no ill-effects, you should be fine.

If you have no adverse effects from dairy and it is not stopping you from reaching your goals then a little HC in coffee should not be an issue.

Comment

I am with canio on this. I drink 6-8 cups per day throughout the day when I work. Don't drink it at all other days (weekends mostly) and am fine. Apparently I tolerate it well, as does canio6.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

For me, too much is when I begin to feel jittery.

Comment

^ I'm with these two except the amount I drink tends to creep up over time to pretty high levels and then it effects my sleep some. At that point I cut down to 2 cups a day and start the cycle again. I really love coffee though and I'm pretty sure its not even the caffeine that gets me to overconsume.

Comment

I can probably drink more coffee than anyone in the world.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              I can probably drink more coffee than anyone in the world.
              Wanna bet? !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
                Wanna bet? !!!
                Yeah let's go
                Make America Great Again

Comment

Coffee is a tough on for me. I love the taste of coffee with some heavy cream. But if I drink it too late in the day or evening it definitely gets me a little jittery and makes it more difficult to sleep. I try to alternate between coffee and tea. Another problem with coffee is that it really speeds up my digestion. For some reason tea does not have many negative affects on me and that's why I cycle it in. One thing I notice is that if I try to abstain from coffee for more than a few days I get terrible cravings for it and also get some minor headaches. So I definitely know I am addicted to it. When I do drink coffee I only drink one cup per day. I guess I am just more sensitive than others but the fact that I get coffee cravings and withdrawals makes me reconsider if its a good thing to continue to consume. But it is pretty darn yummy!
                  "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I drink coffee all day long, probably gallons--but my endo recommended it! (I drink it black.)

I am post-menopausal, hypothyroid, and my endo believes I also have a 'genetically slow metabolism.' When I was losing weight, he recommended coffee as one of two things that would help my very slow metabolism (the other is exercise, which I also do--strength, resistance).

It may be because of my very slow metabolism that all the coffee affects me not at all--no jitters, etc. In fact, I often have coffee right up until bedtime and have no difficulty sleeping at all.

So, as other posters have noted, I think the issue of 'too much' depends on the person, and I'd only reduce consumption if I noticed negative effects.

Comment

Drink as much as you can tolerate without suffering jitteriness, adrenal fatigue, or insomnia
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

My SO has to stick to 2 cups or she feels really crappy, I can cane it all day long and still sleep nights, though I have never had more than about 5-6 mugs in a day. Creamy coffee tends to reduce the amount of meals I eat, so that;s probably not nutrionally optimal. But one coffee with cream a day is fine IMHO.
                        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I drink about 4 large cups in the morning and usually another couple of large cups in the afternoon ( I drink it black ).I am addicted for sure! I go to bed around 9 o'clock every night and wake up at 5 every morning and feel very rested. So ,I will continue to drink coffee as long as it isn't affecting me in any negative ways.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

For me, it's about when more than how much. I'm not in the 6-8 cups a day league. I drink a 12 oz mug of espresso in the morning and occasionally, I drink another mug before 5pm. If I give in to a craving for coffee much after 5pm, I know I'm not going to fall asleep 'til the wee hours of the morning.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I generally only drink coffee when I'm in the office. It kind of relaxes me. I don't drink it at all on the weekends and have never made myself coffee outside of work. I drink 1-2 12oz cups with about a tablespoon of half and half in it. Not much, but if I drink more it leads to an undesirable feeling. I've learned not to drink it after 2pm or it leads to less sleep.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X