Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Grok - FroYo and Muffins?

Hi, all.

So I'm pretty new to this primal lifestyle and still not sure what to eat. Today I bought Udi's gluten-free blueberry muffins (Blueberry Muffins | Udi) and had a froken Greek yogurt bar (from Yasso - Products - YassoŽ Frozen Greek Yogurt) for breakfast. Lots of my coworkers made fun of me for eating "ice cream" for breakfast. But I thought it was healthy. I also had a Larabar.

Is this primal?

Any tips on what to buy/eat for a NYC girl with a major sweet tooth?

Short answer - no.

Question - have you bought, borrowed, or stolen the Primal Blueprint book and read it all the way through yet?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGirl View Post
      Hi, all.

So I'm pretty new to this primal lifestyle and still not sure what to eat. Today I bought Udi's gluten-free blueberry muffins (Blueberry Muffins | Udi) and had a froken Greek yogurt bar (from Yasso - Products - YassoŽ Frozen Greek Yogurt) for breakfast. Lots of my coworkers made fun of me for eating "ice cream" for breakfast. But I thought it was healthy. I also had a Larabar.

Is this primal?

Any tips on what to buy/eat for a NYC girl with a major sweet tooth?
      That's the opposite of Primal. Try eating some real food. The sweet tooth will go away.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Paleo Meal Ideas

I've been going pin crazy...lots of ideas

Comment

One suggestion: for at least your first 30 days, try to avoid anything "primalized" like muffins, pizza crust, etc. After you've adjusted you can add those things in gradually, but I think they make it harder to really learn how your body feels and they screw with your tastebuds a bit, too.
          Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
          Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Comment

Oh and...Pamela's gluten-free pancake mix.

Delicious! I make breads, muffins, pancakes, dumplings...it's got things like almond flour, buttermilk, rice flour, yuca flour...yum!

Comment

*facepalm*

No none of those things are primarl. Faux baking is not really primal either and definitely not something I'd suggest to anyone newly acclimating.

The point of primal is not to go out and buy pre-made gluten free frankenfood crap that costs more than it's worth and is full of chemicals.

Eat eggs, eat meat, eat some veggies if you want. Eat full fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit for breakfast if that what you've a yen for. Eat almonds or walnuts, eat bacon and melon.

Stock up on a variety of spices.
              yay!

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                *facepalm*

No none of those things are primarl. Faux baking is not really primal either and definitely not something I'd suggest to anyone newly acclimating.

The point of primal is not to go out and buy pre-made gluten free frankenfood crap that costs more than it's worth and is full of chemicals.

Eat eggs, eat meat, eat some veggies if you want. Eat full fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit for breakfast if that what you've a yen for. Eat almonds or walnuts, eat bacon and melon.

Stock up on a variety of spices.
                Oh gosh here we go.....blaaa blaaaa

The baking mix is a personal recommendation I thought you may like. Yes not totally primal I guess, but we enjoy it from time to time.

I think suggesting someione to start with only meat, egg, nuts and yogurt would be a disaster...lol! Lets keep it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
                  I think suggesting someione to start with only meat, egg, nuts and yogurt would be a disaster...lol! Lets keep it real.
                  You are arguing against yourself. Meats, eggs, vegetables, and fruits are real. Gluten-free baked goods are not. Let's keep it real indeed.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    You are arguing against yourself. Meats, eggs, vegetables, and fruits are real. Gluten-free baked goods are not. Let's keep it real indeed.
                    Umm duh I know they are real! Hello...they make up 95% of my diet.

Comment

Your defensiveness of your faux-baking choices is a little alarming. :P No need to be hostile.

Yes we should keep it real. My advice is always this: The Primal Blueprint suggests doing 80/20%. I would think people would want to spend their 20% on REAL quality indulgences (fine chocolate, excellent wine, a rich flourless chocolate cake, creme brule, etc) rather than over-processed "paleofied" frankenfoods.

Telling someone who is clearly clueless about what it means to eat primal that they should start substituting baked goods with gluten free baked goods is the opposite of primal. Primal is not a "gluten free diet." Primal is a way of eating that emphasizes whole, real, natural foods, that happens to be grain free.

And yes eggs and bacon is the perfect way to start. Almost everyone, from paleo to cw, loves eggs and bacon.

Sheesh.
                      yay!

Comment

Wait what?

When did I ever say they should substitute baked goods with gluten free baked goods? OMG...

All I said was that WE enjoy the gluten free baking mix.

Comment

Her thread asks "what should I eat" and your reply was "pamela's gluten free baking mix" or whatever. >.> I'm not trying to derail the OP's thread, so, sorry about that!

Anyhoodle!

OP, it's best to feed a sweet tooth with fruit that's in season, for breakfast putting it in yogurt is a great start. Once you start cutting back on using processed sugar, you will come to realize that fruit and even vegetables have incredible sweetness that we couldn't taste before because processed and fake sugars are SO much sweeter than anything in nature.
                          yay!

Comment

I can also heartily recommend baking mushed sweet fruit like banana or sweet potato (baked first to increase sweetness) with egg whites in a microwave. The resulting souffles are wonderful. Coconut milk or cream is another alternative to yogurt.

I don't believe that a sweet tooth ever goes away. And, satisfying it with bananas, sweet potato, yogurt, even unpasterized honey is probably better than trying to assuage the desire that never goes away with butter and nuts. That's what quite a few people end up doing and overeat drastically on it because it is the banana they really want not nuts or bacon.

I find that 75%+ chocolate has absolutely no impact on sweet cravings suppression. It doesn't taste sweet.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Yeah I've also heard that pan frying banana mashed with egg is delicious, though I've never tried it myself. Drizzle a lil bit of raw honey on top with some cinnamon and that sounds delightful. :P

I like dark chocolate but around 60% is my preference. I've tried the super dark ones and they are SOOO bitter it's not even worth the money for me to buy it, because I can't abide the taste, lol.
                              yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X