Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    I also seem to remember that for the first week or so, I didn't really pay attention to the calories, just added a bit of fat when I was hungry, it slowly settled down.
    Thanks, Demuralist. I ate 2 oz. of cream cheese and some water. That took care of the hunger while I wait for my pork roast to cook.

Comment

• drinking a cup of broth or bouillon seems to put the hunger on hold too, as well as helping with some of the symptoms of the NK.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Without dairy (HWC , butter and Cream Cheese), I just can't get my fat high enough. I bought 2 avocados to try this week. I hope I can tolerate them.

I'm done with the first 10 days of blood ketone monitoring. I wish I could find an easier way to post my results. I'll work on it. The condenced version is that if I test after I exercise (still in the morning), I'm almost double than when I test when I first wake up AND if my protein is too high, just as the links on the last few pages have said...I drop significantly.

Today was my 1 month mark on Paleo/EMF and I lost 20lbs. The first 12 were in the first 2 weeks. Then I stopped and started gaining. Bought the blood ketone monitor and started losing again within a few days. I'm still not at the level of ketosis that I'd like to be since I've only hit 1.3 but I'm going to mess with that this week by lowering protein some more and adding MOAR fat. :-)

Megan

Comment

• I have, today, gotten to where very little of my fat was from dairy (2 tablespoons of HWC and 1 of butter). And my protein was down to 65 and my carbs were 12 so for one day at least i have figured it out
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• It's hard without dairy, but it can be done. My only dairy is ghee (sometimes butter). I get 80-90% of my fat from animal sources.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Phew! All caught up again. I'm back on track after my vacation - although not going totally off the reservation I did have way too much rum/diet coke and nibbled a bit on things not primal (m&m's, oreos, corn chips) Not a lot - but a few handfuls daily. Enough to cause a couple pound gain.

Last night I had sticky rice (we made sushi), and I had a rum with real coke (I haven't had sugared pop in YEARS) -- and it triggered a full on fibro flare! I was literally crying I hurt so bad!!!! I quickly drank about 16 ounces of water and within 15 minutes I was able to stop the infantile rocking and the moaning/crying!

That is precisely why I started eating Primal/Paleo - because it controls my fibromyalgia. This morning I was 3 pounds heavier - just a bit of inflamation I think!!!!

Anyway - today is pretty good - all primal and my macros ended at 62% fat, 25% prot, 9% carbs. I have to get my weight back down to what my ticker says it is!!!!! I'm making a batch of cream cheese clouds so I will be able to up the fat better tomorrow. I found a great way to form them - I put all the stuff in the mixer and whip it up really good - then transfer to a zip lock bag - cut off a corner and squirt them onto a cookie sheet to be frozen! They almost look like a Hershey's Kiss!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Yesterday, Fat Fast Day 1 - 1253 cals, 85%fat

Blood Sugar Yesterday 117, Today 103 (Prediabetic Range)

WT. 232 -2.2

I had the best sleep in a long time last night. 7:30 out of 7:45 in bed.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  Yesterday, Fat Fast Day 1 - 1253 cals, 85%fat

Blood Sugar Yesterday 117, Today 103 (Prediabetic Range)

WT. 232 -2.2

I had the best sleep in a long time last night. 7:30 out of 7:45 in bed.
                  So a better day then? That's good!
                  The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Yes, It feels good to be eating clean again. I'm just being clinical in my reporting. I will be glad when the BS numbers return to normal and of course when I get back to or surpass my low weight.

PS, I did not bother with ketostix this morning, we can assume no sign of ketones yet.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                      Without dairy (HWC , butter and Cream Cheese), I just can't get my fat high enough. I bought 2 avocados to try this week. I hope I can tolerate them.

I'm done with the first 10 days of blood ketone monitoring. I wish I could find an easier way to post my results. I'll work on it. The condenced version is that if I test after I exercise (still in the morning), I'm almost double than when I test when I first wake up AND if my protein is too high, just as the links on the last few pages have said...I drop significantly.

Today was my 1 month mark on Paleo/EMF and I lost 20lbs. The first 12 were in the first 2 weeks. Then I stopped and started gaining. Bought the blood ketone monitor and started losing again within a few days. I'm still not at the level of ketosis that I'd like to be since I've only hit 1.3 but I'm going to mess with that this week by lowering protein some more and adding MOAR fat. :-)

Megan
                      When I was IR, I always found that you should test your blood glucose before a workout. Even my doctor said to test it that way. From what a freind who is a PT told me, working out is another way to raise blood glucose levels.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        The darker my ketone strips get the worse my headaches get. Thats one way to lose weight, die of stroke.any suggestions anybody? I probably need to hire a doctor to work this diet. Been hard core Paleo since New Year's Eve.
                        Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                        Ken, I have been getting headaches too, and I notice it is the worst when in deep ketosis. I'm not sure why, but I have heard it is a side effect. On the other had, I am down an official 10 pounds since 2/7/13. Not sure if it's just changing to primal or EMF. Either way, I really don't care.

Not sure if your question about the headaches has been answered or not, but something I've read is that you have to drink more water when in a ketogenic state as dehydration is more likely. I'd aim for at least 20 ounces more than you're currently drinking. The headaches could be related to that.
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• 13 pages of posts to catch up on... Oy. But first, quick update.

Poor poor choices this weekend. No excuses - just chose to eat poorly. Up 6 lbs as a result. Planning to stick to primal this week and then aim for ketosis again after next weekend. We're having a fundraiser this weekend and while the food choices will be "ok" they will be higher carb (baked potatoes).

Waiting on the Russian Circus... Experiencing signs that it is nearing, but it's coming on VERY slowly and that's just flat out annoying. But, the signs have eliminated the fear that I'm pregnant, so I can't complain too terribly much. But definitely hoping it starts in the next couple of days so I can just get it over with. If it's anything like it was last month I'm going to be a very unhappy camper for the next week or so.
                          Primal since March 5, 2012
                          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Not really sure about the fat fast. I think I just need to get back on plan for a few days and feel better and let that change my current eating trajectory.

You guys are taking all of this soooo deep. I am amazed and proud of all of you who can decipher the data this way. I hope you find the sweet spot quickly.
                            My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Does anyone own or have read the Fat Fast Cookbook by Dana Carpender? If so, what do you think? I'm about to download it.
                              Fat Fast Cookbook By Dana Carpender, Amy Dungan, & Rebecca Latham Sorry, if I knew how to create a link I'd have done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                                Does anyone own or have read the Fat Fast Cookbook by Dana Carpender? If so, what do you think? I'm about to download it.
                                Fat Fast Cookbook By Dana Carpender, Amy Dungan, & Rebecca Latham Sorry, if I knew how to create a link I'd have done that.
                                Looks like I created the link without even knowing how!

Comment

Working...
                                X