Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brian Nametko View Post
    I heard that a high content in fat from such items as mixed nuts, avacado and coconut is actually great for the body as long as nothing is processed. I'm assuming that when you suggest to eat more fat, that you're not including any hyrdogenated-oil based food products right?

Thanks!

Brian Nametko
    Brian Nametko - Seeking Alpha
    Holy cow... Hydrogenated! Nooooooooooooo!

Yes you are absolutely right.
    Natural healthy fats ONLY please!
    From meats, nuts, fruits, and the like.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
      I understand NK to be between .5 and 5.0 so your numbers are still within that range. Unfortunately, Only one of us currently has a ketone meter.
      Make sure you are well hydrated and that you are boosting your electrolytes with bouillon, or salted broth to offset exhaustion.
      Could you tell us your macros, current stats and goals? We may have more input then.
      I have had salted broth the last 3 days, but I do think that salt-wasting has been a bit of an issue. I haven't tracked macro-nutrients in micro-detail. I've been trying to limit my carbs to no more than 30 g/day (mostly from nuts, kefir and heavy cream - I've had no grains, root vegetables, fruit, sugar or wheat) and my best-guess is that I'm eating 70-90g of protein a day. I'm a 170lb 6'0" male. My goal is to experience the neurological metabolic change of prolonged ketosis - i.e. to switch my brain to ketone-burning from glucose-burning. I have no weight-loss objective, so it seems to me that testing blood-ketones is my best bet for monitoring 'progress'.

The only reference I've found to a drop in levels is on Andreas Eenfeldt's blog at Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com. For now, I'll just wait it out. I wonder if Dr's Phinney and Volek frequent any forums?

Follow up: I have just discovered a blog, diagnosisdiet.com, whose author is an MD that is currently undertaking a ketogenic diet! She appears to have a large number of expert followers who post on her blog. Some folks here may be interested: http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-2/
      Last edited by TooSteep; 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• I think that is a good plan. Sorry we could not be more helpful.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
          Thanks!

Wow, so you too with your kids, gah!

I *LOVE* to feed things, and they have been killing
          me since BIRTH, so, well, I overfeed my animals instead.

Not to the point of corpulence, but if they're hungry, then
          by all means mama is gonna feed you!

I get my heavy cream from costco and there's zero sugar in it,
          just 100% fat.

Weird.
          Really weird cause my heavy cream from Costco says 1g of carb/sugar.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Yeah, Cori, you are right, I knew that (not being a know it all, just saying).

But half a gram per 15g is better than one gram I guess.

That's really weird Demuralist!

My brand is Producer's Dairy.

What's in the ingredients? Something funky?

Comment

• It is Farmland Dairy, and it does have "stabilizers" it is the only heavy cream our Costco carries right now. I will keep an eye out though.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hmm, strange, but I guess it would be more strange if we lived
                in the same state, so there's that.

MY Costco only carries the heavy cream during the holidays, so once February
                hits, BUH-BYE.

Half gallon is 5.89.

Can't even get a pint of organic at THAT price.

The kicker, is, that it lasts OVER a month. Like, a month
                and a half, which is totally crazy.

Comment

• Ours is 2.99 a quart, and as far as I know they always have it.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Darigold here and $6.29 half gallon. Says zero sugar.

I love heavy cream, don't get me wrong. I wish I could keep drinking it but I don't want to stay this weight. If I can break this stall by finding a lower calorie alternative then I will. Darn it!
                    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                      Ours is 2.99 a quart, and as far as I know they always have it.
                      Whoa! MY Costco doesn't carry ANYTHING in a quart.

ANYTHING.

KooKoo!

I hear you honeybuns.

When I was doing low fat (for my coffee that is) I would use that
                      fat free half and half and whole milk.

Carbs would be up of course, but my morning coffee was only like
                      50 calories, and that was perfect when I was trying to cut down.

And I really liked the flavor of the stuff I put in it, even though the fat
                      free half and half has goofy shit in it.

Once I even trained myself to ONLY use a 15g of heavy cream in my
                      16oz of coffee.

The COLOR did NOT look right at all, I like my coffee LIGHT, but you know
                      what, it tasted GREAT.

That also was 50cal coffee!

I need to get back to that place so I can eat more FOOD instead, but we
                      have all this whole milk that will go bad because my kids don't DRINK milk
                      and never had, except for the Super Secret Special Chocolate Milk.

Youngest won't drink the special stuff though, he hates heavy cream.

No Child Of Mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                        I need to get back to that place so I can eat more FOOD instead, but we
                        have all this whole milk that will go bad because my kids don't DRINK milk
                        and never had, except for the Super Secret Special Chocolate Milk.
                        I freeze my milk. It doesnt go on sale often but when I get a good buy, or even just to have an extra, I freeze it.

Or you can make greek yogurt.
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                          I freeze my milk. It doesnt go on sale often but when I get a good buy, or even just to have an extra, I freeze it.

Or you can make greek yogurt.
                          Yep, I freeze the gallons when I get them from Costco, then take one
                          out when the other is about gone.

I find that freezing them actually makes them last longer when you
                          DO use one, about three weeks after half of it thaws out so you can
                          use some.

I think the big ball of ice in the middle keeps it extra fresh longer.

So then, even the boys drinking minimal chocolate milk and me only using
                          100g in my coffee (and The Man Unit using 200g on sat and sun) it's NEVER
                          gone bad before it's gone, which is fantabulous!

I also add it to banana bread and other secret things I make for the boys, when
                          it calls for water, to beef up cals and fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by TooSteep View Post
                            The only reference I've found to a drop in levels is on Andreas Eenfeldt's blog at Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com. For now, I'll just wait it out. I wonder if Dr's Phinney and Volek frequent any forums?

Follow up: I have just discovered a blog, diagnosisdiet.com, whose author is an MD that is currently undertaking a ketogenic diet! She appears to have a large number of expert followers who post on her blog. Some folks here may be interested: Ketosis Week 2 » Diagnosis: Diet
                            Good Morning All,

I am quoting the above so that you all don't miss TooSteep's follow up. Both of these links are awesome, but the second one may be of great help to those of us who feel that we are not quite hitting the right NK levels. I am starting today with a Fat Fast (90% fat) so that I can get back into Ketosis. Yes, I have been binging. For me hitting deep NK is essential to staying clean.

Thanks, TooSteep.
                            Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-18-2013, 05:05 AM.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• There is some really good information on that site. I followed your link, read it, followed another link on the site...........I'll be reading it for quite a while today!
                              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                                Good Morning All,

I am quoting the above so that you all don't miss TooSteep's follow up. Both of these links are awesome, but the second one may be of great help to those of us who feel that we are not quite hitting the right NK levels. I am starting today with a Fat Fast (90% fat) so that I can get back into Ketosis. Yes, I have been binging. For me hitting deep NK is essential to staying clean.

Thanks, TooSteep.
                                I think I am going to have to consider a fat fast too. I am struggling to get off binge cycle and back to good eating cycle. Thanks for the links!!!
                                My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

Working...
                                X