Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Ddraig Goch, Out of curiosity, what are you using to measure BF% and LBM?
    I use a body fat monitor: This is the one I use which is marketed by the local pharmacy but there are many others available.

Google Image Result for http://www.smallfry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Lloyds-Body-fat-Monitor-366x243.jpg

When I was a gym member I used to get it measured on a regular basis with their more accurate machine & this one always gave the same results. You do need to use it first thing though as it gives different readings if you use it after eating or drinking. Even though it may not be completely accurate I figure the inaccuracy to any actual figure will be the same all the time so I find it a good way to measure differences even if the actual numbers may be off slightly.

PS: well done on your success with the binging. Having read your journey it seems you are moving forward in the right direction. I think it takes a lot of courage to be as open & honest as you are about your issue & I hope EMF helps you to conquer it once & for all
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-15-2013, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GigiLaPatate View Post
      You are good! My fat was 60g and protein 53g. I still feel weird eating so much fat but will experiment with having double the fat and see how I feel. I had some success with the big protein breakfasts when I was doing the leptin reset a year ago and went back on that with my attempt at VLC. I'll see how it is when I cut down on the protein a bit.
      For me it was a process toward the lower end of the protein and carb numbers, but I worked to get the fat in as soon as I could, ie within a day or 2 of starting. Keeping your fat up is going to keep you from getting hungry. 100g of fat out of 1800 calories is still pretty low. I would suggest that instead of eating carbs "so you can sleep" you try maybe drinking a cup of decaf tea with a tablespoon or 2 of butter, a tablespoon or 2 of MCT (or coconut oil) and maybe a tablespoon or 2 of heavy cream-measurements depend on how much fat you have left to consume. I can tell you that I am a horrible sleeper and lowering my carbs has dramatically improved that. As far as protein goes, that number depending on your source, can be anywhere from .8g/kg goal weight to 1.5g/kg of goal weight, so I have slightly increased that number as I have lowered my carbs even more. My fat intake however remains high. Zero problems now with sleep, hunger, or energy.

Good luck.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I need a little guidance

I am due on and I am trying to stop picking at protein, but am fighting a bit of a losing battle.... I am under my fat again today, so want to know what people are doing to combat their PMT problems?

Shall I raise calories or even go down the shot of tasteless oil route?

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
          I need a little guidance

I am due on and I am trying to stop picking at protein, but am fighting a bit of a losing battle.... I am under my fat again today, so want to know what people are doing to combat their PMT problems?

Shall I raise calories or even go down the shot of tasteless oil route?

Thank you
          thinking that PMT is Time Of Month?

Did you already eat your dinner, or is that just what you have planned?

So lets look at what you ate today...

Was your chicken leg fried, or baked, or have any thing extra added to it during cooking or eating (sauce or whatever)?

Same question with your eggs (was that what the butter and olive oil are for)?

Did you drink anything with your breakfast, and did it have any added fats? (ie, cream in coffee)

Same question again with the chicken liver, was the butter for your cauliflower or did you use it to pan fry the liver?

I am first trying to see if some fat snuck in unaccounted for.

I am not a fan of a shot of tasteless fat, I would much rather have something that I really enjoy the taste of. So I would put a tablespoon of MCT into a cup of yummy tea and froth it up before I would consider chugging olive oil.

For me, if I track something before I put it into my mouth, I am better able to control my day. Otherwise I would (and often did before I started this) end up with nothing left to eat but fat, but no calories left. Another thing I try to do is limit my protein intake to 25g per meal, my daily total is 75g and I eat 3 meals so I split it about equally, that helps me keep it in check.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            thinking that PMT is Time Of Month?

Did you already eat your dinner, or is that just what you have planned?

So lets look at what you ate today...

Was your chicken leg fried, or baked, or have any thing extra added to it during cooking or eating (sauce or whatever)?

Same question with your eggs (was that what the butter and olive oil are for)?

Did you drink anything with your breakfast, and did it have any added fats? (ie, cream in coffee)

Same question again with the chicken liver, was the butter for your cauliflower or did you use it to pan fry the liver?

I am first trying to see if some fat snuck in unaccounted for.

I am not a fan of a shot of tasteless fat, I would much rather have something that I really enjoy the taste of. So I would put a tablespoon of MCT into a cup of yummy tea and froth it up before I would consider chugging olive oil.

For me, if I track something before I put it into my mouth, I am better able to control my day. Otherwise I would (and often did before I started this) end up with nothing left to eat but fat, but no calories left. Another thing I try to do is limit my protein intake to 25g per meal, my daily total is 75g and I eat 3 meals so I split it about equally, that helps me keep it in check.
            PMT = yes that is what we say in england (sorry )

My sister roasted chicken in some oil, so some snuck in.

The butter and olive oil was for the eggs at breakfast.

Ahhh! Totally forgot about putting cream in my coffee. Will remember for tomorrow.

My liver is for dinner tonight, I will use a little for the liver but will use the rest in the cauliflower.

What is MCT again?

I am just about to do an hour of P90X - which uses up alot of calories, so might put a few more spoons of olive oil in with the liver.

I really am trying to get use to eating less protein, but my stomach (and mind) has yet to catch up.

Sorry for the long post.

Comment

• Permissive eating day for me today. Dinner out with the hubby to a restaurant WE choose (his work dinner doesn't count as "dinner out" in my mind) in over 4(?) months... going to enjoy it without worrying about every little macro/ingredient. Back on the primal track tomorrow. Thinking homemade cream cheese crepes (cream cheese and eggs) with strawberries, cream cheese and heavy cream. Yum yum yum!! Haven't had that in AGES! And maybe some scrambled eggs and sausage. Shouldn't need to eat again til Sunday. lol

Weight is up 2 lbs (water) after yesterday. Knew it would be. *shrug* onward and upward, right?
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
                PMT = yes that is what we say in england (sorry )

My sister roasted chicken in some oil, so some snuck in.

The butter and olive oil was for the eggs at breakfast.

Ahhh! Totally forgot about putting cream in my coffee. Will remember for tomorrow.

My liver is for dinner tonight, I will use a little for the liver but will use the rest in the cauliflower.

What is MCT again?

I am just about to do an hour of P90X - which uses up alot of calories, so might put a few more spoons of olive oil in with the liver.

I really am trying to get use to eating less protein, but my stomach (and mind) has yet to catch up.

Sorry for the long post.
                No need to apologize for the post, I am sure that P90X changes your macro requirements, but I am not the one to help with that, sorry.

MCT is Medium Chain Triglyceride, it is an oil that is essentially the good stuff from coconut oil, but for me, it mixes much better in my hot and cold liquids (I use a stick blender). It is also a totally flavorless oil. I started using it when I started doing Bullet Proof Coffee.

I use cream/butter/oil in my afternoon teas when I see that I am falling short on fat. I skip it if my fat percentages are looking good. I personally don't eat much meat and what I do is high fat sources. Since you are on MFP, you may want to check other people's diaries who are on this thread and see how they work out their macros, the kinds of meats they eat, etc to get ideas.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Clint and I are going to Logan's Steakhoue for dinner I believe so I am kind of going to eat with abandon for dinner. Tomorrow, I will be back on track though.
                  Georgette

Comment

• This week has been good. I haven't come around here in a while because I was in binge mode last week. I gained 10 pounds, and quickly took off 5 lbs. by going back primal. I am still working to get my food in line with EMF, but doing much better.

I also worked out 5 days in a row with my new 22 minute Burstfit.com dvd, with some added treadmill time. I feel really good about it, and hope it will help take the 5 other binge pounds off quickly. My main goal is to under 224 by March 6. We have a wellness thing for our insurance, and last year I was at 224. I am at 226.6 today, so I think I can manage it.

Looks like we have a ton of newcomers and everyone that has been doing it is keeping at it and tweaking it to fit their needs. Congratz and good luck to all.
                    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                      No need to apologize for the post, I am sure that P90X changes your macro requirements, but I am not the one to help with that, sorry.

MCT is Medium Chain Triglyceride, it is an oil that is essentially the good stuff from coconut oil, but for me, it mixes much better in my hot and cold liquids (I use a stick blender). It is also a totally flavorless oil. I started using it when I started doing Bullet Proof Coffee.

I use cream/butter/oil in my afternoon teas when I see that I am falling short on fat. I skip it if my fat percentages are looking good. I personally don't eat much meat and what I do is high fat sources. Since you are on MFP, you may want to check other people's diaries who are on this thread and see how they work out their macros, the kinds of meats they eat, etc to get ideas.
                      Thanks Dem -- I try to choose the fattiest meat possible, I will also start eating salmon as that is quite fatty.

I am definitely going to start putting cream in my morning coffee which will up the fat.

If anyone is reading this that does P90x or anything similar and is on MFP could I link with you and see your diary

Thank you

Comment

• Also, when you pan fry salmon, you can add cream to the pan with some dill and make a nice pan sauce to help up the fat.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• wow, everybody got quiet all of a sudden
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Friday night.

I've been doing research on setting up multiple copepod tanks (one per species) for farming live foods for my reef...
                            The Breeder's Net: A Simple How-to On Home Culture Of Copepods — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
                            And probably going to take a nice hot bath with a book.

Hubby is out of town... so that's the level of excitement I get up to on my own!
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• I have an experiment in my oven right now, egg muffins wrapped in bacon with cream cheese...We'll see what happens!

Comment

• Let us know how it goes. I have been tempted to make some. How did you do it?
                                The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X