Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    That has been my problem since starting EMF - only once in 7 days (sorry if TMI) I know there will be less but surely this isn't right.
    I only go about once a week as well. But, it has been dwindling from a daily activity to what it is now steadily since I started Primal in March. I figured it was b/c I have less bulk in my diet and more useful food sources, so there is less waste to expell. I'm not all that worried about it, to be honest.

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
    Georgette, I am noticing less chin hairs too! And the ones I have seem to be growing slower.
    I have one that has been growing for a while now. I used to pluck it once a week. Now I'm down to once every 2 weeks or so. There was a time when it was gone for an entire month.

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

Re hairs, I believe one byproduct of ketosis is loss of hair so maybe this is the case here.
    My overall hair loss has decreased significantly! I used to have to brush before showers, collect the hair as I was showering and throw it away when I was done or risk having to Drano and plunge the tub every couple of weeks. Now I don't lose ANY hair while showering and don't have the need to brush first. I love it! No more shedding!!

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    But instead of just taking a certain amount at bed time or in the middle of the day, try
    taking it three times a day. Like 400mg when you wake up, 400mg at lunch time and then
    400mg when you go to bed.

ALWAYS with a big ass glass of water.

If that doesn't start something in the right direction, I will throw myself to the wolves
    on your account. Promise.

I used to have to do that (the magnesium, not the wolves) and now I'm just down to 400mg
    at bed time.

Julie
    Good idea. I'll try this. Thanks.

Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Ok..i have been feeling so good and thinner i could not wait to weigh in in until thursday, In 3 weeks I am down 15 pounds!!!! I am on my kindle and will be back tomorrow!!! Whooop!!!!
    Congratulations! That's awesome!!

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
    I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I have been trying to keep my macros in the 70-25-5 f-p-c range. Well... It's been interesting. Can't quite get there. One day fat is 80% next day it's only 65%. Carbs have never gone over 5% until today. I had an asian pear and it had 13 g of carbs in it. Dang! It put me closer to 10%. Whatever.

I did find some ketosticks today and I came in at the second highest color. Woo hoo. From my understanding no matter what- ketosis= fat loss . . . uh right?
    Welcome!

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    It is possible that I am letting go of fat and don't realize it, but I figure 3 days of this can't hurt right?
    I'll be keeping track of your experiment too.

Originally posted by PrimalMeatCat View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am returning to a strict Primal lifestyle since falling off the wagon quite a while ago (Chick-Fil-A is NOT primal!). I am interested in EMF not for weight loss, but for management of some hormone problems and a subclinical hypoglycemia problem I have that plagues me with bouts of tiredness throughout the day.
    I am also researching ways to gain strength/lean body mass while in ketosis. Because of the problem with low hormones, I have never been able to make any significant gains, except fat gains on a junk-food diet. I am currently at 130lbs with 12% body fat. 5'8" male. It will be interesting to see what I can do eating all this fat.
    Welcome. It'll be interesting to watch your progress!

Ok, couldn't help it. Got on the scale. Reflecting 5lb-6lb loss since thursday depending on which scale I was on. Yes. I have two. dearest sister was supposed to take them both with her, but she forgot. So, my compulsive nature took over and I weighed on both. I need to stop watching the scale so closely, but it did make me feel better.
    Welcome fellow, Iowan! Where abouts you located? East, Central, West, North, South, etc? I'm on the east "coast" of Iowa, right smack in the middle.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Happy Monday all (if there is such a thing).

I found a new Primal Low today. 183 on the ol' scales! I am 1 lb, one measily stinking pound, away from my first major goal. I'm so shocked that I don't know what to think. Not even sure how to celebrate it when I do reach 182... why is that my goal? It's my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm already wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans, but haven't yet reached the weight. I'm going to have to contemplate this one for a while... Maybe NEW JEANS!

I have been monitoring my progress in the mirror and have found things are shifting again. My arms look slimmer and my gut not so prominent - it's developing some shape and the "apron" is getting smaller. Before too long I suspect I'll see that tattoo again and my c-section scars for the first time without lifting the belly! Awesome stuff.

And finally, I love having a bicep again.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
        Happy Monday all (if there is such a thing).

I found a new Primal Low today. 183 on the ol' scales! I am 1 lb, one measily stinking pound, away from my first major goal. I'm so shocked that I don't know what to think. Not even sure how to celebrate it when I do reach 182... why is that my goal? It's my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm already wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans, but haven't yet reached the weight. I'm going to have to contemplate this one for a while... Maybe NEW JEANS!

I have been monitoring my progress in the mirror and have found things are shifting again. My arms look slimmer and my gut not so prominent - it's developing some shape and the "apron" is getting smaller. Before too long I suspect I'll see that tattoo again and my c-section scars for the first time without lifting the belly! Awesome stuff.

And finally, I love having a bicep again.
        YEAH!!!! I love this!! As for the C-section scar, not sure I want to see mine!! LOL I still have a ways to go before that though. BUY NEW JEANS! CELEBRATE!! Congrats!
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          I only go about once a week as well. But, it has been dwindling from a daily activity to what it is now steadily since I started Primal in March. I figured it was b/c I have less bulk in my diet and more useful food sources, so there is less waste to expell. I'm not all that worried about it, to be honest.

My overall hair loss has decreased significantly! I used to have to brush before showers, collect the hair as I was showering and throw it away when I was done or risk having to Drano and plunge the tub every couple of weeks. Now I don't lose ANY hair while showering and don't have the need to brush first. I love it! No more shedding!!
          Thanks Jenn it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. re hair loss I first heard about the link with ketosis when I tried lighterlife (what an idiot!) but I know now so much of their thinking is flawed. Glad its not affecting you anyway.

And congrats on the weight loss.

Comment

• New jeans sounds like an awesome treat, Jenn! Congrats!
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
              I usually eat one at lunch with eggs and mayo (if the avocado isn't ripe enough to mash with the eggs). If you hard boil the eggs you can easily just use the yolks which increases the fat %. You should check out the lists from the links in the recipe group, some good easy ideas in them.
              Most of them have dairy. I am not sure at this point if I can handle coconut milk either. It has always seemed to upset my stomach just as much. I think it's better when I cook with it, rather than have a drink made from it, but I will have to do some experimenting.

I'm surprised nobody has posted curry recipes! With the right veggies, a coconut milk curry would have a good amount of fat, not many carbs, and only as much protein as you want.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Ahoy Neighbor- Jen!

I am in the southeast section. An hour south of Iowa City. I used to live in Iowa city, actually. So are you around the QC then?

I saw several days ago that you were from Iowa. I thought about messaging you, but I didn't want to be the weird new kid Hahaha
                The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  I'm surprised nobody has posted curry recipes! With the right veggies, a coconut milk curry would have a good amount of fat, not many carbs, and only as much protein as you want.
                  I am now pondering this myself, NW... where are all the curry recipes everyone talks about??

Ahoy Neighbor- Jen!

I am in the southeast section. An hour south of Iowa City. I used to live in Iowa city, actually. So are you around the QC then?

I saw several days ago that you were from Iowa. I thought about messaging you, but I didn't want to be the weird new kid Hahaha
                  I sent you a message, Glad.

Comment

• Curry to me is Thai-style.

Requirements
                    -curry paste (can be bought at most grocery stores, not sure what's in them exactly, but you only need at most 1 tbsp per batch)
                    -fish sauce (see above)
                    -oil/fat of choice
                    -coconut milk (full fat)
                    -protein of choice
                    -veggies of choice! (snow/snap peas, green beans, onion, carrots, those mini-corn bits, not sure what those are technically, mushrooms, cauliflower...)

When I made it, I used a pot, though a wok is traditional. I heated the coconut milk on high heat until it was boiling, added the fish sauce, curry paste, S&P, then lowered the heat to medium & tossed in the veggies & protein! You could sautée the veg separately, they would end up softer, but I like them to stay a little crunchy. Cook until done! Could serve in a bowl or over cauliflower rice. Ghee would add a nice flavor to the rice/curry.

You could also make it Indian-style with curry powder instead. I prefer the sweeter taste of Thai-style. BTW, I call it Thai-style because that's how my Thai friend made it, but I don't know if that's "traditional" or anything . Tahini (sesame seed paste) is used sometimes too, but I don't know what it does for the flavor.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by calee View Post
                      Julie, we're you over on Charles zero carb forum? I was over there in 2009.
                      Lee
                      Yes I was, I think around the same time you were - not sure - then when
                      Chuckles went batshit crazy I headed back to Active Low Carber until
                      Satya started the Dirty Carnivore site with SANE PEOPLE.

Much, much better.

Julie (there I was Julia, as I go by both names)

Comment

• It appears I need to do down another band size in my bra (as if a 30DD wasn't hard enough to find), tailor half my pants to accommodate a smaller waist and hips (including taking up the hems), and take in some of my t shirts. I also noticed my dandruff is gone, and I no longer hafta moisturize my face or body.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• I'm noticing changes in body comp from all sides. My stomach is way flatter. I haven't really dropped any sizes per se, but I have noticed clothes getting baggier. I'm trying to not get any new clothes until my birthday next month. I'm hoping I'll be down a size by then, but at this point, I highly doubt it. The only piece of clothing I can see any difference in are my undergarments. They're getting bigger.
                          Georgette

Comment

• Yay on clothes getting loser! How exciting.
                            My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                              It appears I need to do down another band size in my bra (as if a 30DD wasn't hard enough to find), tailor half my pants to accommodate a smaller waist and hips (including taking up the hems), and take in some of my t shirts. I also noticed my dandruff is gone, and I no longer hafta moisturize my face or body.
                              Wow, that's too bad.

I bet you're curled up in a corner, naked, bawling your eyes out over these recent events, aren't you?

HA!

I put a pair of pants on today that I normally don't wear because they were too damn small
                              and would cut me in half, but all my favorite fat pants were dirty, so I did, and they slipped
                              on effortlessly - I mean, SO easily that I thought I had my husband's pants.

I had to whip them right down to look at the tag. Nope, these are my pants.

So I walked to school and back and now they're baggy as all get out.

I'm so pleased I MAY just weep.

Hey Georgette! THAT is what happened to me first too!

My granny panties were getting so big in the butt, that they
                              would sag down and hit the back of my legs IN my jeans, and
                              I was all "WTF IS that? Did I tuck a long shirt in? Is the elastic
                              out on my underwear?"

Nope, my ass was smaller.

HOOOOOO-RAAAAAAAY!

Julie

Comment

• OK folks.... TMI!!!!! Geesh! Congrats on the baggy drawers etc.... but there are some things a guy just wanna vizualize! dagnabit now I need brain bleach! wait.... thats DON'T wanna vizualize...... now I'm all flustered.....

Congrats on the losses, and the looses! Good job!

Comment

Working...
                                X