Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay - I've done the math* and can properly post!

My Macros:
    Goal: 61kg
    Calories: 1444
    Fat: 120g
    Protein: 61g
    Carbs: 30g

When I entered my calories and percentage goals into myfitnesspal, I selected the 10% carbs (it was that or 5%) and got these numbers:
    Calories: 1444
    Fat: 112g (70%)
    Protein: 72g (20%)
    Carbs: 36g (10%)

Goals: to increase my fat to protein ratio, to survive this cruise I'm doing next week, to not go stir crazy over all these darn numbers!!

*thanks to Pebbles67, who was an enormous help!
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
      Ok......houston.....we have a problem...I've eaten just over 1100 cals today and I'm stuffed!!!!
      seriously, what are you eating?
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• On a low day, I eat approx 1200 cals a day. On a good day, I am in the 1500's. I have never been able to hit that 1636 mark that I am supposed to meet.
        Georgette

Comment

• I posted this earlier today but it got lost back on page 50 so I'm going to try 1 more time for the evening (?) crowd. I just feel like I'm not getting enough.

I've been posting here but haven't posted my macros or typical meals. I started out losing weight like crazy and have slowed down. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks and I'm not concerned about the slowdown...I get that it's a process but would like for someone to look over my stuff to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong already. I've made the decision to purchase a blood ketone monitor because I'm pretty analytical and need to know. :-)

Goal Weight - 90.7 kg
          Protein - 81-99g
          Carbs - 45g
          Fat - 180g

BF - 3 Omega 3 eggs, 1 piece of bacon. Espresso with coconut milk and HWC
          Lunch - 8oz of pork spare ribs, 5 spears of asparagus, 1/2 c broccoli
          Dinner - 8oz of pork spare ribs, 1 c broccoli

Yesterday
          Protein - 82g
          Carbs - 7g
          Fat - 161g

Sunday
          Protein - 74
          Carbs - 5
          Fat - 83

Everything look ok? I do exercise 5 times a week. I either jog or swim laps.
          Thanks in advance for the help.

Megan
          Last edited by mks8500; 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• My thyroid has changed several times over the last few months. My free t4 was 1.75 a few weeks ago. TSH was .39 which is low. Which is right at the high end of normal. t3 was 2.7. Which is supposed to be normal. She did up my synthroid a bit. Blood sugar was 6.4 I think, high but I know that. Lower than it has been. Not sure on Vit D and ferritin but I am adding D3 back in as well as magnesium. Thanks for your experience. Maybe I am on the right track.

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
            My experience-- My fibro went away when my thyroid meds were optimized. Prior to those getting optimized I worked on getting ferritin, vitamin D and female hormones optimized.

For me-- TSH must be ignored and Free T4 and Free T3 need to be above midrange of their respective ranges. In fact I feel best when they are at about 75%.

With respect to carbs, again for me, going VLC for very long makes my FT3 drop to barely in range. I found myself with low T3 and symptomatic in October when things were tested. Because of that, I experimented and ate a great deal more carbs (didn't track) from the end of October until January. On January 7 I had my frees retested and my T3 was back up where I feel best. This told me I need more carbs in my diet in order for thyroid hormone conversion to work properly.

Do you have test results for freeT4 and freeT3? How is your vitamin D, ferritin, blood sugar?
            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Breakfast.......2 eggs, 1/2 avacodo, 1/4 cup of salsa, 1/4 milk, chile pepper, all scrambled with 4 slices of bacon, cup of coffee with tb of Coconut oil.

Supper; 5.8 oz of steak, cup of squash, caesar salad

Accepted you on MFP but I'm not going to use it anymore I don't think.

Adding supper on it but that will probably be it. Notice a bit of a differance in how both sites figure out calories. I was quoting what Cronometer said for today
              Last edited by ez2cy; 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM.
              55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
              Chest; 41.5
              Waist; 42
              Hips; 40
              Thigh; 22.5
              Calf; 15
              Bicep: 13
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
              Chest; 42
              Waist; 42.5
              Hips; 39
              Thigh; 23
              Calf; 15
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 16

Comment

• mks8500

Everything looks great. How tall are you?

I ask because I am 5'10" and going for 170 or 77kg. That is the high end of the wt' for my ht., but I plan to be muscular.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Breakfast.......2 eggs, 1/2 avacodo, 1/4 cup of salsa, 1/4 milk, chile pepper, all scrambled with 4 slices of bacon, cup of coffee with tb of Coconut oil.

Supper; 5.8 oz of steak, cup of squash, caesar salad

Accepted you on MFP but I'm not going to use it anymore I don't think.

Adding supper on it but that will probably be it. Notice a bit of a differance in how both sites figure out calories. I was quoting what Cronometer said for today
                  I can't look at a list like this and assess, I need to see it in the form of MFP (or some such). Did you put dressing on your salad? And it says lean meat only for the steak?

For me, I generally track first then adjust, then eat it. I strive for a fairly equal split between the meals that I plan to eat. I also strive for the fat to be twice the protein, and then carbs no more than half the protein. For me it is easier to adjust that way. I do go quite a long time between breakfast and lunch, but if I totally skip it, I start prowling in the pantry, or munching while I am cooking dinner, so I don't let myself do it. Even if it is just a cup of tea with cream and coconut milk and an ounce or 2 of cheese.

Since this is all really just an N=1 experiment, I would say that if that felt good, then you are doing well. I would also suggest you go at least a week, preferably more before you start tweaking the macros. Give the body time to adjust. This is meant to be a long slow burn that lasts a life time. good luck!
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Wow! 270 calorie differance between two sites. ????????
                    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                    Chest; 41.5
                    Waist; 42
                    Hips; 40
                    Thigh; 22.5
                    Calf; 15
                    Forearm; 11.5
                    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                    Chest; 42
                    Waist; 42.5
                    Hips; 39
                    Thigh; 23
                    Calf; 15
                    Forearm; 11.5
                    Neck; 16

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                      I can't look at a list like this and assess, I need to see it in the form of MFP (or some such). Did you put dressing on your salad? And it says lean meat only for the steak?

good luck!
                      I did have dressing but it's a no fat, no calorie, no sugar yadda yadda. Steak was lean. Nothing on it.

I updated the MFP to show dinner. Like I said above, there is a big differance between sites. Who knows which one is right?
                      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                      Chest; 41.5
                      Waist; 42
                      Hips; 40
                      Thigh; 22.5
                      Calf; 15
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                      Chest; 42
                      Waist; 42.5
                      Hips; 39
                      Thigh; 23
                      Calf; 15
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 16

Comment

I did have dressing but it's a no fat, no calorie, no sugar yadda yadda. Steak was lean. Nothing on it.

I updated the MFP to show dinner. Like I said above, there is a big differance between sites. Who knows which one is right?
                        no telling! If you used something with a label you can check against that. If not there is a site that you can use to check that I think is about as accurate as it can get...Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Personally I believe that we each use calories/macros differently that is why technically calories do count but it is really hard to count calories. I think you find a site you like to work with, then you use the numbers as a guide when you find the combo of numbers that work for you.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                          Thank you for this! Exceptionally helpful! I'm really researching ketosis right now and fascinated by this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                            mks8500

Everything looks great. How tall are you?

I ask because I am 5'10" and going for 170 or 77kg. That is the high end of the wt' for my ht., but I plan to be muscular.
                            Thanks for the response. I'm almost 6ft and built like a female offensive lineman. I think 200lbs would be a stretch (which is what I based my measurements on) because I remember what I looked like at 190 and it wasn't a healthy look. How many calories are you shooting for daily? I was actually working off of your macros before I did my own. I feel like I'm not getting enough fat. I'm so paranoid about ketotis going after my protein versus my fat.

Megan

Comment

• Tracking my food again is starting to make me get a bit twitchy over not "meeting" my numbers (aka undereating), which is continually hilarious to me, binge eater extraordinaire.

Maybe I shouldn't do tracking because it makes me too obsessive. :*(
                              yay!

Comment

• if tracking is causing you stress, I wouldn't do it.
                                Lots can do it happily, but I can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X