Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

MFP gives me 1765 BMR. I multiplied by 1.375 for less active days.
    Min Daily Calorie need 2427
    I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

Harris Benedict tells us to multiply the base BMR by the following:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Paula, can you put this in the first thread for ease of locating later? Thanks.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
      Geo - what is the CO that you put in your tea
      CO is CO like honeybuns said. If you want to know brand though, I use Effa Gold and I get it at Kroger.
      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
        To answer my own question re unsalted kerrygold butter. Apparently it has been discontinued in the UK & president butter is not grass fed.However, Rachel's Organic butter is the closest thing we can get (our dreadful weather makes it nearly impossible for cows to be pastured all year round) & luckily Waitrose has it on offer. So glad I have found it, 2 days on 40g of salted butter has been making me feel terrible (I never touch salt normally). Its been very interesting seeing the different issues re grass fed & availability for different dairy foods between US & UK.
        I know it may not be grass fed, but I use asda/Sainsbury unsalted butter

Comment

• Used the above equation after getting my BMR. I went midway between lightly active and moderately active (used a multiplier of 1.4625 - averaged lightly and moderate multipliers).

BMR: 1605.8
          Multiplier: 1.4625
          Total maintenance calories: 2348.5
          20% of Maintenance calories: 1878.8

Using those figures, my macros would break down like this:

10% Carbs: 47 gm
          20% protein: 94 gm
          70% fat: 146 gm

But, if I use the HSIS equation, my goals should be (using 66 kg as my goal weight)

carbs: 33 gm
          protein: 73 gm
          fat: 145 gm

Total calories: 1730

But those numbers don't equal 10/20/70. They equal 7.6/16.9/75.4, which I can't input into MFP b/c it only does percentages in increments of 5.

I'm not sure which is right... currently, doing 1500 calories, 38 gm carbs, 117 gm fat, and 75 gm protein.
          Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
            truncated...
            I *AM* in ketosis, though, so does it really matter?

Comment

• And maybe once you get the fibro under control using one of those methods, or better determining your trigger foods, VLC might be good. If it were me trying to do VLC with uncontrolled Fibro symptoms, I'd feel depressed too - it'd be too much for me to bear considering how devastating Fibro can be to your life and how difficult it can be to do VLC as a normal, healthy, fully functioning adult. My advice, for your sanity, would be to take up an autoimmune protocol first, get things under control and then come back to VLC as an experiment. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat VLC while eating autoimmune... I'm just suggesting tackling one thing at a time.

Do you have a journal? I am interested in following your story.
              Thanks Jenn. I do think maybe healthy carbs at this point is a good idea. I have been eating junk carbs/bad oil some which I know doesn't help. I started this at the holidays and have been unable to break the cycle. I am hoping by adding potatoes and some rice I can break that and then maybe go VLC for a while. I hate feeling this way. I keep starting and stopping journals but I think I will start one with this experiment, not just for myself but for others to see what does/doesn't work.
              You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Thank you! I really appreciate the smile. I need it today. I know my calories are not too low. And I have been eating junk carbs so of course that makes it worse. Thanks again for the hi and the smile!!!! (I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes in a reply, sorry about all the extra posts!)
                Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                I don't have any experience with either, but didn't want your post to go by without a reply (the board moves so quickly). What have you been eating? Could your calories be too low? Again, no experience, just wanted to say hi and send a smile.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• I was actually just thinking about adding broth. And I didn't realize avocados have potassium. I bought some the other day so I will add that as well. Thanks for the ideas!

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                  Try having two cups of well salted broth early in the day and see if this prevents the problem. Eat an avacado as well for potassium. The only other thing I can think of is you aren't able to digest the fat. Bile salts and digestive enzymes may be necessary.

If you need a temporary quick fix to get back to work, I would eat some carbs for now and try again in a few days with special attention to the two points above and see if things go better.

Age 48
                  height 5'3
                  SW 215 lbs
                  LW 172 lbs
                  GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                    Thanks Jenn. I do think maybe healthy carbs at this point is a good idea. I have been eating junk carbs/bad oil some which I know doesn't help. I started this at the holidays and have been unable to break the cycle. I am hoping by adding potatoes and some rice I can break that and then maybe go VLC for a while. I hate feeling this way. I keep starting and stopping journals but I think I will start one with this experiment, not just for myself but for others to see what does/doesn't work.
                    Just remember... potatoes (white for sure, not sure about sweet) are in the nightshade family and might cause you some issues. I think it's pretty much a scientific fact that nightshades are a known trigger for fibro patients. But if they don't bother you, no harm in eating them. I love white potatoes!

When you get your journal started, drop by my journal or here and post the link so I can read up. I'd love to offer support.

Comment

• Greetings,
                      I read the initial posts here and in the original challenge started in December. I'm planning to join you (I need to do some math first) and will have some questions later, but just this one real quick - You say to "read the book" but I don't know if I should get the "Primal Blueprint" or the PB "21 day transformation". With the little info below, WHICH book might be my best resource?
                      I'm in menopause, I have about 95 pounds to loose and have dealt with obesity all my life. I'm currently not active (I work from home and sit at a computer 8-10 hours daily), but when I was active last year (9 months of hiking 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles at a time), I hardly lost any weight while trying to follow a typical low fat, high carb diet. Right now I just don't feel like exercising, and I have a depressing home life.
                      "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                        Thanks for your reply. I know what my doctor would say, so I'll save my breath. I'm taking 20mg of Citalopram, once a day. Net says it has a 1/2 life of 35 hours, so I guess a week and I'd be clear of it.

Not trying to pry but did the 5HTP help your situation ie take the place of the meds?
                        I don't mind. I don't like to consider it a swap because 5-HTP helps with my depression so much more than any SSRI ever did (tried a number of them over the course of 8 years or so). No side effects, unless better sleep counts! I write about this on my journal here from time to time, but just to recap, I take 150-200mg per night, split into two doses, as needed. I've been on about 200mg for a few months now, needed for various physical stresses, I'm guessing. Last summer, I didn't need it at all. Before ever trying 5-HTP, I never thought I could feel as happy as I do now. I just didn't think it was possible for ANYONE.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

(I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes in a reply, sorry about all the extra posts!)
                          Below the post you wish to quote is the "Reply with Quote" button. Just to the right of that is the "multiple quote" button. Click that for all the posts you wish to respond to. Then instead of using "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, use "Reply to Thread". it will pull all the quotes into the box for you.

Tip: It posts the "quotes" in the order that you click them, so they may be out of order in comparison to how the original posters posted them.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertcreature View Post
                            Greetings,
                            I read the initial posts here and in the original challenge started in December. I'm planning to join you (I need to do some math first) and will have some questions later, but just this one real quick - You say to "read the book" but I don't know if I should get the "Primal Blueprint" or the PB "21 day transformation". With the little info below, WHICH book might be my best resource?
                            I'm in menopause, I have about 95 pounds to loose and have dealt with obesity all my life. I'm currently not active (I work from home and sit at a computer 8-10 hours daily), but when I was active last year (9 months of hiking 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles at a time), I hardly lost any weight while trying to follow a typical low fat, high carb diet. Right now I just don't feel like exercising, and I have a depressing home life.
                            Either book would be fine.

Most of us have learned that weight loss is 90% diet, 10% activity. I have lost more weight just WALKING 45 minutes 5x a week and eating primally than I EVER did running and training for half marathons (did 7 long races in 2011... gained weight b/c I didn't manage my diet).

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                              Just remember... potatoes (white for sure, not sure about sweet) are in the nightshade family and might cause you some issues. I think it's pretty much a scientific fact that nightshades are a known trigger for fibro patients. But if they don't bother you, no harm in eating them. I love white potatoes!

When you get your journal started, drop by my journal or here and post the link so I can read up. I'd love to offer support.
                              Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                              Below the post you wish to quote is the "Reply with Quote" button. Just to the right of that is the "multiple quote" button. Click that for all the posts you wish to respond to. Then instead of using "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, use "Reply to Thread". it will pull all the quotes into the box for you.

Tip: It posts the "quotes" in the order that you click them, so they may be out of order in comparison to how the original posters posted them.
                              Just had to do this to prove to myself I was smart enough Thanks...and I will link you to the journal. Thanks so much for the support!!!

Age 48
                              height 5'3
                              SW 215 lbs
                              LW 172 lbs
                              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Just had to do this to prove to myself I was smart enough Thanks...and I will link you to the journal. Thanks so much for the support!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X