Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyFitnessPal didn't show me carbs...hmmmmm. May have to look at settings or something. As far as not eating enough, not hungry at all. Problem? Also not sure exactly how MFP works, as it says I gained 300+ calories for the day from exercise?

Edit;

Yea, went back and I could add the carbs...I ate 7 for the day.

If you find out about red wine, post it please. Have a couple hundred bottles here screaming my name every meal....>LOL
    Last edited by ez2cy; 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Comment

• Alcohol has 7 calories per gram of alcohol, hence the extra calories.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Keep us posted about your Mom. And thanks for having the courage to be honest. You can and will beat this.

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
        My Why..

I've been overweight since I was about 10. I remember the first time someone called me fat to my face, it was on the playground in 6th grade. I blocked a boy from making a basket and he called me a fat bitch. I will never forget his name or his face as he said that. My parents divorced when I was 4 and I had a very rocky childhood complicated with various kinds of abuse that I don't care to detail here. My stepmom was always obsessed with weightloss and had a terrible bingeing habit, and my mom similarly had an emotional binging habit but was not obsessed with weight loss. I lived 50/50 at my mom's or dad's each month, and had tons of commuting and 2 very different lifestyles. At my mom's house it was WIC, wellfare, 99 cent store, soy and bread vegetarianism. At my dad's it was 'spend like we die tomorrow' restaurants every night, cupboard full of spaghettios and cookies.

In short I grew up with the worst possible view of and relationship with food. It was the enemy, it was the friend, it was the source of constant struggle. I learned secret eating early on, because if I told my mom what I ate at my dad's house I would be in big trouble. I was intensely paranoid about accidentally eating meat, which made every birthday party and school outing a nervous meltdown incident, with me checking for hidden meat. Sometimes I wanted to be like the other kids so bad I would eat it anyway, then have to carry the shameful secret inside and do anything to make sure my mom didn't know.

I am SO good at secret eating, binging, and hiding food / lying about food that to this day I do it almost compulsively. My binging is almost always triggered by emotional stress.

In Jan 2012 I went to the doctor and found out I weight 347 pounds. I was devastated. My whole life I had made pacts with myself... If I get to 200 lbs, I'll kill myself. If I get to 250, I'll kill myself. Etc etc. Obviously I never did, and nothing changed, and my weight was ever increasing.

I turned to the internet to figure out what to do, and somehow ended up on a paleo website. Eventually I found MDA, Whole30, and NomNomPaleo.

In April of 2012 my mom was suddenly struck totally numb in her right leg, and has been totally bedridden ever since. She weight about 400 pounds, at 5'6". It is incredibly difficult for her to get any kind of care or assistance, and almost impossible to get things like MRI's, EMT people cannot move her sometimes, and she has dozens of complications from her extreme obesity. One day while I was visiting her in the hospital she said "You have to do something. I can't see you end up like me." No better wake up call has EVER been given.

I lose 50 lbs between April and October, mainly through ketosis.

Now, I see my sister, about to turn 20, and she is on the same path my mom took, the same path I too was on. At 5'8" and just 19 years old, she already weighs FAR more than I did at her age. I am terrified for her but she will take no advice from me. She hates herself, cuts herself, is on all kinds of medications, has thyroid problems, anger issues, etc. She is a "vegetarian" like my mom still is (soy/bread based diet with very few actual veggies) and has terrible emotional binging habits. Her binges will last days or weeks because she has no control over her emotions. I would do just about anything to get my mom and sister to see that their "vegetarian" lifestyles have done nothing but hurt them, caused them tons of problems, and make them sick.

So this is why. I am tired of this cycle. I am tired of being too large to move myself gracefully. I want to be strong. I want to be the best me I can be, and to prove to my mom and my sister that you CAN, with hard work, come back from rock bottom.

My mom has an appointment with a neurosurgeon this wednesday so hopefully we will be finding out, finally, if any surgery can be performed.

Sorry that ended up really long.
        You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
        height 5'3
        SW 215 lbs
        CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
        LW 172 lbs
        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
          Ok, one day down and I could do with some answers.....ANSWERS...I WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE ( just joking, it's the meds)

Joined MyFitnessPal as suggested. Don't like that it does not calculate strength training calories burnt but I'll live with it.

Now..so I understand. I ate 947 Cals. Fiber was 2, Fat 89, and Protein 45. So I'm guessing the numbers for Fiber, Fat and Protein is grams? Either way, I didn't eat enough fat to make 70 or 80%? Is that correct?

Also, someone posted and I saw it when I reserched it, that if you are on anti depresants, you shouldn't take 5HTP. Anyone have an idea how long one should stay off the meds before starting 5HTP?

Finally......one day complete but I'm not at my goal of 175 lbs.....What went wrong?
          89 gms fat * 9 calories per fat gram = 801 total calories from fat.

801 fat calories / 947 total calories = 84.5%

You did fine with your fat.

Protein was 19%
          Carbs was 2.9%

Great job. Before you ask, I have no idea why that all equals up to 106.4%. I only know that when I tally total calories based off of all your macros, I get 1009 total calories for the day, a 62 calorie difference. Check your food sources in the database against packaging the next time you buy. It could be that someone entered the information incorrectly (any item in the database with a * by it was manually entered by a user and could be innaccurate).

But, overall the percentages look really good. Even if the calories was 1006 for the day, you'd still show macros of F/P/C that look like this: 79.4/17.8/2.8
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Today, I seem to be doing much better. I passed out last night at 8:45 watching Top Gear UK. Apparently, male British accents make me sleepy. I think I sort of overloaded on fat last night, but I believe my body needed it. I made creamy chicken scampi for dinner and ate a lot of the extra sauce. Then, before I went to relax, I made a cup of tea with some CO. When I woke up this morning, I felt amazingly full. Am just now feeling hungry.
            Georgette

Comment

• Wow! According to MyFitnessPal, I ate 947 cals all day yesterday and I ate over 1000 today just for breakfast? Ouch!!!!!!!!!

Walking 2 hours in the cold today it looks like...LOL
              55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
              Chest; 41.5
              Waist; 42
              Hips; 40
              Thigh; 22.5
              Calf; 15
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
              Chest; 42
              Waist; 42.5
              Hips; 39
              Thigh; 23
              Calf; 15
              Forearm; 11.5
              Neck; 16

Comment

• Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                Also, someone posted and I saw it when I reserched it, that if you are on anti depresants, you shouldn't take 5HTP. Anyone have an idea how long one should stay off the meds before starting 5HTP?
                Information on how long it takes varies widely. The actual dose is only supposed to last 12-24 hrs, depending on how often you take it (once or twice a day), but to totally leave your system? Considering the # of times I went through withdrawal from SSRI's, I'd say it's at least 2 weeks. I'd personally give it 6 to be safe.

Then again, I didn't wait. I started on a low dose of 5-HTP as I was weaning off Lexapro. I increased it after I took my last dose of Lexapro. Some sources say it's okay to do this, others say don't, others say ask your doctor.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  Information on how long it takes varies widely. The actual dose is only supposed to last 12-24 hrs, depending on how often you take it (once or twice a day), but to totally leave your system? Considering the # of times I went through withdrawal from SSRI's, I'd say it's at least 2 weeks. I'd personally give it 6 to be safe.

Then again, I didn't wait. I started on a low dose of 5-HTP as I was weaning off Lexapro. I increased it after I took my last dose of Lexapro. Some sources say it's okay to do this, others say don't, others say ask your doctor.
                  Thanks for your reply. I know what my doctor would say, so I'll save my breath. I'm taking 20mg of Citalopram, once a day. Net says it has a 1/2 life of 35 hours, so I guess a week and I'd be clear of it.

Not trying to pry but did the 5HTP help your situation ie take the place of the meds?
                  55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                  Chest; 41.5
                  Waist; 42
                  Hips; 40
                  Thigh; 22.5
                  Calf; 15
                  Forearm; 11.5
                  Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                  Chest; 42
                  Waist; 42.5
                  Hips; 39
                  Thigh; 23
                  Calf; 15
                  Forearm; 11.5
                  Neck; 16

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                    Today, I seem to be doing much better. I passed out last night at 8:45 watching Top Gear UK. Apparently, male British accents make me sleepy. I think I sort of overloaded on fat last night, but I believe my body needed it. I made creamy chicken scampi for dinner and ate a lot of the extra sauce. Then, before I went to relax, I made a cup of tea with some CO. When I woke up this morning, I felt amazingly full. Am just now feeling hungry.
                    Geo - what is the CO that you put in your tea

Comment

• I am not doing well with all of this. I had a fibromyalgia flare up a few weeks ago that still hasn't gone away and I am very depressed. I have not been to work in two days. I don't know at this point if the depression caused the flare up or vice versa but either way I am not functioning. Sorry to just whine but something has to give. I just took a walk to try to get out some. It took all the energy I had. I have to go to work tomorrow and I want my life back. I am wondering if adding in carbs that are 'safe', maybe a Perfect health Diet style would help or if VLC is the way to go. I know we are all different but if anyone has had any experience w/ one or both and wouldn't mind sharing that would be wonderful! Thanks for letting me whine
                      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                      height 5'3
                      SW 215 lbs
                      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                      LW 172 lbs
                      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Hey Gang, just ran across this thread and I hope you'll all except a guy joining you.
                        According to the information I have gained reading this thread, at my current weight,
                        I should be consuming 3311 cals per day.
                        Yes I weigh a lot for now. My question is how much fat should I be consuming a day?
                        Thank you and I look forward to day day I can tell you I reached my beach body weight.
                        Which I haven't seen since Jimmy Carter was in office.

Comment

• Morning all!
                          I am happy to report that the hunger seems better today! And, I woke up with a TON of energy. I am not a morning person, and was ready to go this morning! Yay! But, I feel really FAT today. Tummy is soft and mushy. Strange! Did a little more research last night. Going to try to go with the 65/30/5 ratio. I suffer from chronic body pain, migraines, Raynauds and celiac, so I hope this way of eating helps. I feel like I could actually get some type of exercise in today. Yipee! Have a great day everyone!
                          Last edited by adavison; 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM.
                          37 yof
                          5'9

Macros:
                          70% fat
                          20% protein
                          10% net carbs
                          1300-1500 calories

SW:180ish
                          CW:171
                          GW:155

Comment

• Hey, EZ, I added you as a friend on MyFitnesspal. Mind if I take a look at your food diary?
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Last months yo-yo has gone back down again. I am trying a new way, for me, of getting my fats in. Since I am not cooking in butter any more because of DH and am having to be more cautious with the fat sources for him, I'll concentrate of eating more fat dense foods just for me.
                              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
                                Geo - what is the CO that you put in your tea
                                CO is coconut oil
                                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X