Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sorry. No insult intended. Just wanted to explain why there wasn't a lot of action on the thread. Nk just wasnt best for me and many others who posted here. But it works great for some.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
      And I just came back to NK after trying ADF. Though this is my first time posting in this thread.

      I tried it 6 months after going Primal (so over 2 years ago) and it didn't work as well for me since I ate too much protein and was counting calories as well. So I only did it for 6 weeks.

      Now I have read up on some of the tips for vlc, I am finding it much easier and know it will be my WOE for the rest of my life.
      Better results with less effort for me. I love how I feel on NK and have dropped an inch off my lower belly in less than a week.
      No calorie counting, either! Yippee!!!
      I had no idea how bloated I was by my 70-100 gms of carbs until I dropped them down to 30-40gm. I eat about 50-60 gm protein.

      And like Paleobird, I eat an animal-based diet, with veggies as garnishes. I have FODMAPS intolerance, so I let my meat eat my greens for me and have offal (usually liver) 3-4 times a week.
      I tried the ADF thing but it just seemed un-natural to have designated low and high calorie days on a schedule like that. My calories do vary greatly from day to day but I like keeping it random.

      I think a lot of people have tried ketosis at one time or another with not the greatest results and have written it off permanently as "Just not for me". I really think most of the "failures" can be traced to some combination of the following:

      1)Not giving it enough time to really take effect. (But I tried it for a whole week!)
      2)Eating too much protein and getting stuck in Peter Attia's "Zone of Misery"
      3)Electrolyte issues. Deficiencies, then over supplementation in one area to correct, leading to serious imbalances (IMO drinking some mineral water and skipping the supps works better)
      4)People who were very lean to begin with and are peeved that the last vanity 5lbs didn't come off (If they even have 5 extra anywhere but in their head). Super lean people do not seem to do well on keto, they don't have the "reserves" for it.
      5)Some people who have disordered eating behaviors find ANY restrictive plan to be crazy making.

      I have found counting to be unnecessary too ever since I got over feeling obligated to eat vegetables. It's just about impossible to overeat carbs on a mostly meat diet and also very hard to overeat period.
      Last edited by Paleobird; 06-01-2013, 01:07 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
        Sorry. No insult intended. Just wanted to explain why there wasn't a lot of action on the thread. Nk just wasnt best for me and many others who posted here. But it works great for some.
        Last I heard you were doing it cyclically with carb ups in between. Are you still doing that?

        Comment


        • Paleobird, I couldn't agree more with almost everything you wrote!

          My n=1 is that my last 5ish lbs are finally coming off painlessly with NK after trying calorie restriction, IF, ADF, etc.

          I think I am just very carb sensitive. Given that my first food was watered-down sweetened condensed milk (!) I am not surprised that I have a messed-up metabolism.

          Though perhaps I don't qualify as super lean? ~128 lbs at 5'6", small frame (I don't weigh myself very often--no scale!) 35.5-26-35.5 right now. I weighed 118 in high school, but I've put on a little more muscle since then, so 122 seems reasonable.

          I think that dropping my protein amount is making all the difference for me. Though I am not counting calories, I know they are pretty low, atm.

          I should have really nice abs in a month or so...
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

          Comment


          • I was mostly referring to our buddies "the dude bros" who are young with never damaged metabolisms and single digit BF% who work out like fiends and wonder why they don't feel so great trying to do ketosis and then go around bad mouthing it for everyone else. Along with them are a few anorexic females who are disappointed that they can't get from size one to size zero jeans.

            For you and me (who actually have some weight to lose but are reasonable about our goals) it works great.

            Sweetened condensed milk!?! I wonder what the statute of limitations is on child abuse. Urg.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              I was mostly referring to our buddies "the dude bros" who are young with never damaged metabolisms and single digit BF% who work out like fiends and wonder why they don't feel so great trying to do ketosis and then go around bad mouthing it for everyone else. Along with them are a few anorexic females who are disappointed that they can't get from size one to size zero jeans.

              For you and me (who actually have some weight to lose but are reasonable about our goals) it works great.

              Sweetened condensed milk!?! I wonder what the statute of limitations is on child abuse. Urg.
              Gotcha. Though I am sometimes able to wear a size 2!

              Yeah, not a great start. No money, combined with bad info and a particular cultural window, so no breast milk for me! That said, Mom did eat lots of salmon and liver during her pregnancy, so my IQ ain't so shabby, even if I have bad gut flora, poor jaw development and teeth via lack of Vitamin D and no nursing.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

              Comment


              • Hyperlipid: Fiaf (2) starving amidst plenty

                I love Peter's blog! So many gems...
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  Last I heard you were doing it cyclically with carb ups in between. Are you still doing that?
                  No I was not cycling, at least not on purpose, but my binges every week or two could be looked at that way. I gave it five months and learned a lot, but I found that hormonally it was not optimal for me. I had some bad bouts with mood swings to the point where I scared myself.

                  I am now eating a 5:2 fast plan with 5 days of 75-100 grams of carbs and about 2000 calories and 2 days fasting until a 500 calorie dinner. I am not experiencing the physical and emotional binge backlash as badly as when I was aiming for nk. I am also losing weight at a better rate and making more gains in the gym.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Hyperlipid: Fiaf (2) starving amidst plenty

                    I love Peter's blog! So many gems...
                    That was a great post. The other half or it is called "Who's Fat is it Anyway?". That was the article that got me to re-think my BAS habit. I realized that I was just feeding the bacteria.

                    Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                    No I was not cycling, at least not on purpose, but my binges every week or two could be looked at that way. I gave it five months and learned a lot, but I found that hormonally it was not optimal for me. I had some bad bouts with mood swings to the point where I scared myself.

                    I am now eating a 5:2 fast plan with 5 days of 75-100 grams of carbs and about 2000 calories and 2 days fasting until a 500 calorie dinner. I am not experiencing the physical and emotional binge backlash as badly as when I was aiming for nk. I am also losing weight at a better rate and making more gains in the gym.
                    I'm glad you are finding something that works for you. Binge eating disorders are something that I don't think I will ever really understand not ever having experienced that myself.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      Hyperlipid: Fiaf (2) starving amidst plenty

                      I love Peter's blog! So many gems...
                      I went back and reread the entire Fiaf series (5 posts). Suddenly, the mechanism of Dr. Atkins' fat fast as a means of breaking weight loss stalls is clear to me.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Annlee View Post
                        I went back and reread the entire Fiaf series (5 posts). Suddenly, the mechanism of Dr. Atkins' fat fast as a means of breaking weight loss stalls is clear to me.
                        Cool stuff, huh?
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Annlee View Post
                          I went back and reread the entire Fiaf series (5 posts). Suddenly, the mechanism of Dr. Atkins' fat fast as a means of breaking weight loss stalls is clear to me.
                          I wish Peter's site had a search function. I think I have read three of those five. Would you happen to have the titles of all of them so I could look them up in order?

                          Comment


                          • They are in alphabetical order on the right column in his blog, PB.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                              They are in alphabetical order on the right column in his blog, PB.
                              Exactly

                              Comment


                              • Hi all -
                                Checking in after a few weeks. I'm up ~5lbs. I blame several factors: stress, stress and travel. ( I never eat dessert and while on one day trip to The east coast - I broke down and ate butterscotch pudding at a resto. Geesh. ). And the past few days I feel super bloated - rings tigh5 on hand and belly/breasts rotund. So not sure how to manage bloating. (Advice welcome!)

                                I'm thinking of this week just focusing on super lean approach. Lower fat, salt. More water and salads for lunch and dinner. Lets see if I can drop some the 5 in water.

                                I can't imagine much how stress (work) is affecting things. I notice I crave cocoa crack like the dickens. And CC I add salt. So that will also go this week. I haven't eaten grains or bread or sugar (except the butterscotch pudding). But just not eating stuff is enuf. I suspect I'm binging at bit on CC and just food even god food in excess is not good. Been too busy (stress) to even track in MFP. I take some comfort in that clothes still fit. But I feel awful and am fed up with the bloated,feeling --blech.

                                Sigh ok confessions done. Thanks for letting me vent.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X