Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post

Now that I have perfected my LCHF N=1, I am trying to read fewer threads on MDA because they just confuse issues for me and make me want to tweak things that do not need tweaking.

Good luck to those of you still following this protocol with me.
    Friday was dead on MDA. I was hoping everyone was just taking a weekend break. :-)

I too have found that it's easy to read the other MDA threads and start second guessing or wanting to tweak even more. I think I've also figured out what works for me for right now and it's awfully close to what you're doing (I'm doing HWC and some cream cheese though).

On Saturday morning I jogged then had to go right to a photo session. I didn't end up eating until around 2:00 and decided to check my blood ketones. 2.6!! That's the highest they've ever been but I had been IF for about 19 or 20 hours unintentionally at that point. Then I ate protein, followed by protein, followed by more protein with little fat and ruined it. Still interesting information though. My focus this week will be on getting back to my solid protein numbers making sure I have enough fat. I also plan to try to figure out what causes me to have digestion issues (not enough fat I guess?). I did a cleanse about a week ago and when I stopped, everything stopped. :-(

Comment

• I also tend to gravitate to whatever everyone else is doing. Like right now........... still doing the EMF protocol - but I'm combining it with the ADF protocol. So I'm eating more fat but only on my UP days!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

calee, here is a typical day.

Protein 4 times a day. My snacks are macadamias or pork rinds both of which have protein fat and carb. Most meals are 3-4oz p

Breakfast
        protein is 2 eggs, applegate sausage or bacon
        veg (carb)-peppers and onion mix
        fat-1 Tbsp Coco Oil and 2 Tbsp Coco Milk in coffee, 1 tbsp butter for cooking, 1 Tbsp mayo with eggs

Lunch
        protein-tuna, lunch meat (hormel naturals), chicken or other left over dinner.
        veg-1/2 cup broccoli and cauliflower mix or something similar
        fat-2 tbsp mayo (tuna), 1 tbsp butter

2:30pm Snack see above

Dinner
        3-4 oz Meat, veg with butter or salad with OO, vinegar and avocado
        Thanks! Looks very yummy. I'm so glad it's working for you!

Comment

• I am trying to lose my last 20 pounds. have done primal/paleo fairly consistently over the last 2 years. Am stuck with weight loss and I saw this thread about ketogenic diet. Im confused about how many cals I should have (either 1200 or 1500). And protein for me sounds low. Also can someone tell me what N=1 and NK are?

Comment

• The two calorie amounts are probably a range, so low end 1200 and high end 1500. N=1 is a shortcut way of saying a personal experiment. I am cutting out caffeine this week as a personal experiment, so I might call that an N=1. NK stands for nutritional ketosis.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
            My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• sandybeaches, start with the formula in the first post to figure out your macros and calories. People have changed their calories and protein based on self experimentation. I do not recommend this for people new to NK. I have kept my calories higher than 1500 and lost well.

Choose a low goal weight in the healthy range for your height. (Not necessarily what you really want to weigh, but your "hot stuff" goal
              Me 5'10" inches. Real Goal wt. 165lbs. Weight for calculating macros 150lbs or 68 kg
              Protein 68 + or - 10% (range 61-75grams)
              Carb 1/2 protein 34 grams
              Fat min 2x protein 136 grams
              about 1750 cals
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

sandybeaches, start with the formula in the first post to figure out your macros and calories. People have changed their calories and protein based on self experimentation. I do not recommend this for people new to NK. I have kept my calories higher than 1500 and lost well.

Choose a low goal weight in the healthy range for your height. (Not necessarily what you really want to weigh, but your "hot stuff" goal
                Me 5'10" inches. Real Goal wt. 165lbs. Weight for calculating macros 150lbs or 68 kg
                Protein 68 + or - 10% (range 61-75grams)
                Carb 1/2 protein 34 grams
                Fat min 2x protein 136 grams
                about 1750 cals
                thanks so much for your help. My protein only comes out to 49-59 grams. it has been drilled into my head that I should eat 100 grams at least of protein in order to not lose muscle. I've also heard .7 to 1 gram per pound of weight (or pound of lean mass if really overweight) as a protein goal. this will be a big change for me. Just a little paranoid about that...any feedback?

Comment

• According to Mark Sisson It should be .7-1 gram per pound of LBM. .7 for me would be 93 grams of protein. I eat 60-70 on most days and I exercise 5 days/week, 3 days heavy.

Many NK experts believe that you should go lower because excess protein is turned into sugar. You need to explore to find your optimal levels. The absolute minimum protein needed for adult women is 46 grams. If you want to experiment, lower protein by 10 grams per week and see what happens and how you feel.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

According to Mark Sisson It should be .7-1 gram per pound of LBM. .7 for me would be 93 grams of protein. I eat 60-70 on most days and I exercise 5 days/week, 3 days heavy.

Many NK experts believe that you should go lower because excess protein is turned into sugar. You need to explore to find your optimal levels. The absolute minimum protein needed for adult women is 46 grams. If you want to experiment, lower protein by 10 grams per week and see what happens and how you feel.
                    so if he promotes .7-1 gram per pound of lbm, why would we do less? the other formula would equate to about 90 grams for me and this one on here is 49-59--alot less!! l i'm so confused, i get soooo many different messages! I think lowering it by 10 grams each week sounds like a great idea! Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by sandybeaches View Post
                      so if he promotes .7-1 gram per pound of lbm, why would we do less? the other formula would equate to about 90 grams for me and this one on here is 49-59--alot less!! l i'm so confused, i get soooo many different messages! I think lowering it by 10 grams each week sounds like a great idea! Thanks!!
                      Ah, well there are many experts who give many answers on the amount of protein necessary. Really no good studies done that pinpoint the amount. So, that is where the N=1 comes in. Dropping 10g a week or so is a great way to go about doing it.
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                        I also tend to gravitate to whatever everyone else is doing. Like right now........... still doing the EMF protocol - but I'm combining it with the ADF protocol. So I'm eating more fat but only on my UP days!
                        I am doing the ADF as well, but I am trying to keep my percentages approximately the same on both up and down days, so technically I am still EMF. I am working to keep my fat over 70% and net carbs under 5%. Of course I am just getting started this week as I have been out of town, so I am not sure how it is going yet.

I am actually also considering doing M-W-F as my down days. Actually doing W-F and then I can do Sunday or Monday for the other one as convenient (basically whichever day I am busier!). I definitely do down days better on my days at work.
                        Chris
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandybeaches View Post
                          Mark Sisson does not talk about nutritional ketosis at all, so he would not be concerned with optimal protein levels for getting into ketosis and losing weight. Most NK experts agree that carbs likely need to be below 50g or below 10% of total calories. Protein should be no higher than 25-30% of total calories. Fat should be above 65% of total calories. My protein intake also varies. About once a week I hit 80+ grams.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

I have heard this a lot on this site, but I didn't have any way of testing it.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been ramping up my exercise program, adding in more lifting and some running.

Starting this past Sunday I began a VLC carb nite cycle. (Refeed is day 9.) Monday morning I was in light ketosis. This morning I woke up at 2:00am to a phone call and was absolutely protein famished. I ate a big meal of meat, and another at 9:00 am, and another at noon. I finally feel like I have caught up, having eating unknown massive amounts of lean meat, fatty meat, cheese, and eggs, probably 250+ grams of protein and 2500+ calories. I am still in ketosis. I'll take another reading in the morning.

Comment

• ekatherine, Can't wait to hear your results.

What I have experienced is that my blood sugar levels go up and my ketosis levels go down the day after a big protein binge (over 100g for me). This is why n=1 is so important.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• At 9:00 AM, 3 hours after getting up, I was still slightly in ketosis. My weight was only up .4 pounds from the day before. I am not feeling or looking fat. My conclusion is that with all those fat calories and all that protein I craved and ate, it was what my body needed. Possibly forcing myself to meet arbitrary macros might give a different result.

I am NOT HUNGRY, and it feels good. I expect to eat again at 3:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X