Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
    Today is the first day of crazy town aka the Russian Circus. Had a rough night of sleep courtesy of The Walking Dead. Last nights episode messed with my head more than I liked. I knew it was going to from the very moment it came it on. I'm grateful to be off on Mondays and I plan on going back to bed after I take Heather to school. After I nap for an hour or 2, get up, workout, eat, shower and do some errands.
    Feed them vodka! j/k feel better soon!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Had another interesting learning day yesterday. I keep holding on to this notion that I NEED protein with every meal, even though I've been doing really on my lower macronutrient portion of protein and NOT having it at every meal. Yesterday I suddenly realized, at 3:30 in the afternoon, lol, that I hadn't had any real protein, AND I hadn't really been that hungry. All day. 3:30 was when I started to get a bit hungry. That just reinforces to me that I've been really overeating protein.

On a different subject...hoping you're feeling better Geo. I've been feeling a bit off since Friday and am not entirely sure what it is...can't blame the Russian Circus since that was taken care of quite a few years ago.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
      My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• DG - You are frustrated and I just want to tell you not to give up the same way you told me the same thing a few weeks ago.

I don't know if you remember but I lost 20lbs in about 3 weeks when I started. However, during weeks 3-6 my weight was being really crazy...it started to creep up a few lbs, then down those few, then up a few more. I remember seeing increases of 5 and 6lbs. I couldn't figure out if I was doing something wrong and was testing my blood ketones and making adjustments to my diet like crazy.

Then, I caught a cold and put the ketosis tracking on the back burner. I continued to eat the same way but didn't try to figure everything out. After a week without testing, my cold went away and I got right back to focusing on ketosis again. This last week I lost 6lbs. Every morning last week I'd get on the scale and expect to see it go up. When I saw it go down, I told myself to remember this the next time the scale started creeping up. That was this morning.

It's frustrating as hell to all of us for sure because we're all tweaking and working so hard to find the right formula that works. But (and I'm telling myself this too), we're throwing a lot at our bodies and asking them to adjust quickly so we can see weight loss (or results). One of the podcasts I listened to recently said that a scale can be off by 4lbs on any given day. So, what if you're actually down another lbs and you give up your experiment? It's just something to consider. I know we all want to see results and certainly don't want to see results going the other direction. We've come so far and seeing the scale go up is almost scary. Give it another few days...maybe 5 or maybe even another 2 lbs so you're sure it's not just a scale fluctuation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          unloading Welcome! I exercise about as much as you. I calculate my calories burned (TDEE) using the light exercise multiplier.
          Thank you for the help!

So given that, can I run my numbers past you all for input? Here's what it says:

My BMR (used site on Pg1) is: 1574 x 1.375 (lght exer) = 2164

So should I create a 500 cal deficit? I'm thinking 1600-1650?

30g Carb
          70g Protein
          134 Fat

Which equals 1606 calories. I need to lose 25-30 pounds, I'm a 37yo female, 5'6.

Thanks so much for your input, I really want to get this right but need a little help!

Comment

• That looks great. Your Fat is perfect at 75%/ Protein 17%/ Carb 8%. You will be eating right around your BMR Which should keep you satisfied and allow for weightloss.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              That looks great. Your Fat is perfect at 75%/ Protein 17%/ Carb 8%. You will be eating right around your BMR Which should keep you satisfied and allow for weightloss.
              YAY! Thank you so much for looking over that, I really appreciate it!

Comment

• Howdy peeps!

Okay, two questions:

1.) Now that I'm 8 weeks into keto, do I REALLY need to continue
                drinking a crapton of water every day, or can I just scale it back to
                "when I'm thirsty"?

2.) DESPITE THE CARB COUNT, are avocados a yay or a nay?

I just finished the phinney and volek book, but I'm still fuzzy on the avocado
                thing......

In other news, my husband is jumping in with both feet into *at least* low
                carb.

FINALLY.

It'll be so much easier to feed both of us this way instead of me making 4 different
                dinners every night (the other two being the kids of course).

I'm going to attempt making those little egg quiche frittata things in muffin tins today
                after my stint at the kids' school so I can send something OTHER than salami with my
                husband to work for breakfast.

Julie

Comment

• Avocados are Perfect for keto. I usually eat 1/2 at a time to avoid overcarbsumption. (I only have 10-20 carbs a day)

How much water do you drink? I try to get at the minimum CW 64oz of water, but I drink 100oz on heavy exercise days. The hydration calculator wants me to drink 111oz
                  Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Okay, good, cuz I have 12 of them!

I usually eat one a day.

Doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar at ALL, so I'll keep on
                    keeping on with them.

I trrrrry and drink about 96oz a day, but the last couple of days I've
                    had about 48.

I'm just never *thirsty* for it. EVER.

I make a game of it; I fill up my 32oz bottle with water and when I run errands,
                    I down it on the way home.

If I end up not going anywhere for the day (which is highly unlikely), I dont even REMEMBER
                    to drink the dang water. Argh.

Thanks Pebbs!

Julie

Comment

• Technically it is fluid intake. So while water is best, fluid intake is essential. I include teas and the milks I put in my smoothie as well as my ACV 50oz water. There is a pretty decent amount of fluid in veggies and fruits, but since we are generally not doing fruits and are for the most part pretty low on veggies, you need to make sure you do work to keep intake up. I am better on work days cause I am a captive audience and the bottle sits on my desk.

p.s. I eat an avocado a day for lunch (well on my Up Days). with bacon and mayo as a sort of egg salad, usually without the egg.
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Well fine then, I'll keep chugging it.

Grumble.

Honestly, I don't even think I've had a vegetable since January.

I just haven't been craving them AT ALL.

BUT! Now that my husband is on board, and he's just doing VLC, I did
                        buy a lot of lettuces from Costco last week, and we cooked up 28 dollars
                        worth of tri-tip last night.....

Nuthin' tastes better than tri-tip on salad with a mixture of
                        salsa and some sesame oil. TO DIE FOR. Odd combo, but damn
                        tasty.. so maybe this will be my week for minimal veggie consumption.

Odd, cuz I usually LOVE veggies, ALL OF THEM, but since going keto, I don't
                        even give them a second thought.

All righty, fine, off to drink my darn water. I guess with my activity level I need
                        it, but still., don't wanna.

Pouting like a 3yo,

Julie

p.s. your eggless egg salad sounds divine! and i happen to have some
                        left over bacon from the weekend, so thanks for the tip!

Comment

• We love our avocados but I was worried about them having a higher carb rating. It seems to be just about all fiber carbs but wasn't sure if that still counts when trying to go keto??!!??!!

Comment

• I came up with a good wrap idea for lunch. 2 Romaine lettuce leaves, a slice of deli turkey and deli ham and colby pepperjack cheese with a schmear of garden vegetable cream cheese. Really made my day.
                            Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Salina13 View Post
                              We love our avocados but I was worried about them having a higher carb rating. It seems to be just about all fiber carbs but wasn't sure if that still counts when trying to go keto??!!??!!
                              Fiber carbs do not effect blood sugar and therefore do not count against your keto carb count. Enjoy!

Out of 18 carbs in one whole avocado, only 4 are non fiber.
                              Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-18-2013, 02:43 PM.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• All this talk of avocados, so I have to share my all time fave recipe I've ever found:

3 Avocados halved - rub lightly with a lemon wedge to prevent browning
                                1/2-1 slice bacon crumbled on top of each half

in a small saucepan on low heat add:
                                2tbsps Butter
                                2 tbsps Balsamic Vinegar
                                2-3 cloves garlic - minced

Stir and bring to a rolling boil, then spoon over avocado halves.
                                It is to die for, I literally crave it, lol!

But I don't know if it's okay for doing NK..... going to have to check that out!

Comment

Working...
                                X