Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Black Timber View Post
    Eating beneath BMR (not just calculated but actual) for too long will of course lead to death.
    It would take me a long time to die on `1200 cals. My body fat is more than high enough to keep me going for a few months. Anyway the reason for eating below BMR is to lose the fat. Once your reached the required body fat one would assume you would increase to BMR level. If you didn't then I guess you would deserve to be dead

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
      so, DG, when I look at your numbers what I see is that in 3 weeks you have lost 6 pounds of fat since you managed to keep your LBM the same. That would seem to me to be exactly what you want to do. Have you done any measurements?

While for me I would consider those calories way too low at that weight, they actually seem to be working for you, right?
      Sorry the numbers for week 3 were wrong (I have updated them).They should have read:

Week 3 Average: Cals: 1162 Protein :47g Ratio: Av % (16-2-82) Total Loss since start of n=-1: -6lb
      Weight: 171lb Loss: +3 BMI: 27.45 BF (BIA): 40.4% Water: 42.4% LBM: 56.1% LBM:101.9lb

Yes in the first 2 weeks I lost 6lb (am aiming for 1.5lb wk) which was great but this last week, without changing anything, I have gained 3lb. That is the cause of my angst. If I have stayed the same this week I could have lived with that but to gain 3lb back? That is my concern. As my macros have been pro NK & I haven't done anything to knock my self out (over eat on carb or protein, under eat on fat) I can only assume being in NK does not suit me. Although I cant test it, if I am not in NK buy now then I do not know what to do to get me into it.

Measurements have stayed the same. Interestingly though last Monday in the mirror test, my stomach was like a deflated balloon - not pretty but progress maybe. Today, it is is more like a new uninflated balloon (no wrinkles) but I do not feel bloated or anything.

As for the calories, who knows? Higher seems to stop me losing , so are these it appears. Hence our discussion last night re very low calories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        Just a reminder, that you can't expect to lose weight every week, or even in a regular progression. There will be jumps and stalls. Why not go back to a repetition of your first two weeks, though? Maybe that cream was good for you!
        Having lost 6lb in 2 weeks I would have been OK with stalling for a couple of weeks just not gaining half of it back wneh I don't know why.

Maybe the cream was good for me but it was becoming a trigger food. Instead of 1 cup I was going through 3 & could have drunk more. That is not a position I want to be in with food but I appreciate the humor.

Comment

• I wish I had something to add to the discussion...I'm still trying my own experiments to see what works. I've only (I say only, but I'm TRULY happy about it, lol) lost 3.6 pounds since I joined the EMF group. I can't remember exactly when that was, but its been about a month I think. I started primal on February 2, but didn't lose much. I dunno, just musing out loud about nothing in particular I guess. Sorry, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
          My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I don't really post too much in here any more cuz I feel stupid for
            whining about a measly 10lbs that I want to lose to get from 130 to
            120, but DG, I've been at this since January 17th, so, 8 weeks today
            I guess, and I went from 130 to 125 to 124.8, and stayed at 124.8 for
            about 3 weeks it seemed and then just the other day I was 120.8.

What?

I think hormones play a major role (assuming you're female, which I think
            you are!) as water stays on, water comes off, then depending on salt intake
            or lack there of.... I have the joy of bloating up at ovulation AND 3 days before
            my period. Everything skews the number on the scale and just recently I've
            gone to weighing myself weekly instead of daily (i like to see trends for daily
            weighing, but most of the time it just pisses me off).

So I think tht 3 weeks is too short to throw in the towel!

Regardless of your weight loss, how are you feeling?

Do you have good energy? Clear mind? Focused? Happy?

I think you should keep on keeping on, and these next few weeks
            with Paula's numbers she put up for you.

I can tell you right now, with the last part of my weight loss, it happened
            when I was eating MORE and DOING less.

February was a moot month for me. Kids out of school for a week, no gym and
            not so much walking, then they got sick for a week, still no gym and no walking,
            then *I* got sick for a week. Felt like I barely moved all month and blamo - 4lbs
            gone? Really?

I don't know what to make of it, but I *have* toned down my exercise now.

I know you don't exercise a ton, and that you don't think your walking at work is
            much, but it's something. Better than sitting.

In the grand scheme of things, for me, exercise really doesn't seem to make a
            HUGE dent in anything. I love doing it, so that's why I continue, but that month
            of Nothing February, really taught me a lesson. Finally, in my 44 years of perhaps
            over-exercising.

All right, I'm rambling....... Anyway, hope you stay with us!

Julie

p.s. Paula - that bouillon suggestion has been an absolute LIFESAVER. I can't tell you
            how much better I feel drinking a couple cups a day of that stuff. Last week I made my
            own bone broth in the crock pot, so I grab a cup of that, and add the bouillon and it's like
            heaven. I've always felt good and obviously I have way too much energy as it is, but man
            adding in that salt has me feeling like a new person.

Also, by eating pretty high fat for two months, the little bumps on the back of my arms are
            GONE. I went to scratch an itch the other day and I was like "what the hell? my arms are as
            soft as a baby's bottom!" Seriously. I was so excited yesterday I even had my sister feel them.

She agreed, but of course thought I was stone cold crazy anyway. Ha!

I'm just glad they're GONE.

Comment

• Very nice Julie!!! I like that kind of progress as much as the kind on the scale or tape measure!

So, I just tried a green drink with the NutriBullet. It wasn't bad. I put in too much lime juice (only the juice of 1/2 of a lime)...next time I'll leave that out. I used 5 small broccoli florets, 1 oz of spinach leaves, 2" section of cucumber, 1/2 avocado (minus dark spots which were removed); 2" section of banana and 1/4 of a granny smith apple. It was not sweet at all and I think if the lime juice hadn't been so strong it would have been refreshing. I did try to put in 3 drops of liquid stevia after it was in the glass, which also would have been nice without the lime juice. The amount was too much so I ended up not drinking the whole thing. The NutriBullet did an excellent job of pulverizing the whole mixture...no lumps or bumps and all the fiber still in there (although pulverized). So, I figure the amount I actually drank came to 16 carbs (a bit pricey, so this won't be a daily thing) and was a bit low on fat at only 9 gm. Increasing the fat next time...maybe a whole avocado instead.

Comment

• the banana and apple tend to be pricey in the carb department, you could try switching out for berries. Also, the spinach actually has a bit of a sweet taste when pulverized into a smoothie so you may want to increase its amount. I have also found that if I add a few drops of strawberry flavoring that even though it isn't sweet it makes it smell more like berries which kind of tells the brain it is sweet, odd but true. I actually also add MCT oil (a tablespoon) to help increase the fat %. It is tasteless and mixes well when blended.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Thanks!!! That sounds great! I bought a couple of bunches of fresh organic spinach at the Farmer's Market today, so I'll definitely try increasing that. Berries sound good too... I DO have some blueberries and strawberries that I bought fresh and then froze.

Comment

• I usually use frozen as it is just easier to have on hand. Generally it is spinach and kale, and now on my "Up Day" I add in a few strawberries. I also use 2 eggs for protein and fat, along with the MCT oil. I save my avocado for my lunch (I mix it up with homemade mayo, 1/4C of bacon pieces and some salt).
                    Chris
                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I took today off from NK. I think my body was needing a break so I did. The family wanted chili dogs and fries and I had some with them. I know that the Russian Circus is coming to town this week, basically tomorrow. I made a fat bomb because I know I'm going to need them this week and I'm basically feeling weak as hell.

I have found some cool pins from pinterest on low carb crock pot meals. I found one for making taco meat that I am going to make tomorrow and eat on Tuesday.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Hi there,

I'd love to join you all, I've been eating Paleo/primal for the last couple months about 80% of the time. I feel great, I know I've lost weight but no idea how much as I haven't weighed myself recently. I want to lose about 25-30 pounds. I've lost 90 a few years ago doing mostly LC, then I hit 190 and I've stayed +/- 5lbs for the last couple years. I now weigh around 180 and I'm 5'7.

So, I'm unsure of how to calculate my activity. I started running in Dec, and I now run 3x a week for about 30 mins and sometime a short 1 mile run in addition. I also do weights and abs 2-3x per week. Should I count this as light or moderate exercise? I'm hoping to officially start tomorrow! I'm anxious to get started cause summers coming and I live in CA so it's already warm and I want to feel good about myself this summer! Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Comment

• unloading Welcome! I exercise about as much as you. I calculate my calories burned (TDEE) using the light exercise multiplier.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Today is the first day of crazy town aka the Russian Circus. Had a rough night of sleep courtesy of The Walking Dead. Last nights episode messed with my head more than I liked. I knew it was going to from the very moment it came it on. I'm grateful to be off on Mondays and I plan on going back to bed after I take Heather to school. After I nap for an hour or 2, get up, workout, eat, shower and do some errands.
                            Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                              Oddly, after my up day, I woke up hungry-thus was worried if I would be able to pull off a down day. But woke up after a down day and did not feel like eating breakfast for about 3 hours. Weird.
                              This same thing happens to me. It is as if our bodies just want to continue with what they've been doing. If they've been eating, they are hungry. If they've been fasting, they are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                                This same thing happens to me. It is as if our bodies just want to continue with what they've been doing. If they've been eating, they are hungry. If they've been fasting, they are not.
                                I thought it was just me....I find the same thing.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X