Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we all need that kick of motivation to hold us on track. For my mom, she was having trouble with her knee and was facing a possible replacement. Her sister had died after a long series of complications that started with her knee replacement, so mom was not interested. Now that she has lost her weight her knee is only an occasional minor nuisance, no longer a constant pain.

For me, I want to be an active grandmother (hopefully I have more than a few years before that is actually the case).

I think it has to be about more than the number on the scale or I would have quit a long time ago (which given my yo-yoing might have been better for me)
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deborah105 View Post
      That is fantastic!

I want quick results because I'm a beast, but I'm hanging in there. I'm going to read your profile to see if you're in my age group. I know that being in my 50s does not help me losing weight. blah and grr

Here is another thing I've noticed in the past day or so; I am not conjuring up reasons to eat off plan. I made breakfast this morning (bacon and eggs) instead of coercing my hubs to go out to eat at our favorite breakfast cafe where I always order a scramble served up on a huge pile of hash browns. I just don't want to eat those carbs and get off my macro goals.
      Have you cut out all nightshades to see if you are sensitive to them? I ask because I did and am and had no idea that this was causing years of inflammation. My point is, perhaps they causes issues you do not know about. If you knew, it would be easier to resist.

^^^ that is a jumbled mess.. you know what I mean, I feel too lazy to edit..LOL
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
        Have you cut out all nightshades to see if you are sensitive to them? I ask because I did and am and had no idea that this was causing years of inflammation. My point is, perhaps they causes issues you do not know about. If you knew, it would be easier to resist.
        I totally get what you mean!

I haven't cut them all out. Mostly. I do have tomatoes from time to time. Potatoes do cause my knees to hurt so I like to avoid them even when I'm on a carb tear. Well, that might be a lie. I eat everything when I'm on a tear.

I recently found out that eggplant is a nightshade. That made me a little bit sad. I like some eggplant.
        SW 209 | PSW 203 | GW 158

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
          I think we all need that kick of motivation to hold us on track. For my mom, she was having trouble with her knee and was facing a possible replacement. Her sister had died after a long series of complications that started with her knee replacement, so mom was not interested. Now that she has lost her weight her knee is only an occasional minor nuisance, no longer a constant pain.

For me, I want to be an active grandmother (hopefully I have more than a few years before that is actually the case).

I think it has to be about more than the number on the scale or I would have quit a long time ago (which given my yo-yoing might have been better for me)
          My right knee is bad (torn meniscus and surgery a couple of years ago) and I do NOT want knee replacement so your mom's story is really great for me to read!

You guys might be the first people I'm telling this to because it just happened, but my oldest daughter just found out she is six weeks pregnant. I am going to be a grandma! Even better reason to be successful here as you say demuralist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deborah105 View Post
            I totally get what you mean!

I haven't cut them all out. Mostly. I do have tomatoes from time to time. Potatoes do cause my knees to hurt so I like to avoid them even when I'm on a carb tear. Well, that might be a lie. I eat everything when I'm on a tear.

I recently found out that eggplant is a nightshade. That made me a little bit sad. I like some eggplant.
            I love me some eggplant too.. but alas, I feel better without. I will on occasion eat some peppers (I think those are nightshades) as well as onions but I really limit it.

Originally posted by Deborah105 View Post
            My right knee is bad (torn meniscus and surgery a couple of years ago) and I do NOT want knee replacement so your mom's story is really great for me to read!

You guys might be the first people I'm telling this to because it just happened, but my oldest daughter just found out she is six weeks pregnant. I am going to be a grandma! Even better reason to be successful here as you say demuralist.
            Congratulations on being a grandma!
            Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Yes Congrats

Comment

• fantastic! I am excited to, eventually, be a grandmother. My oldest is a sophomore in college, youngest is still a senior in college.

Mom used to get a shot (cortisone?) about every 6 months trying to put off surgery, she has now not had to have one for 2 years! the weight made a huge difference. I think she lost 75lbs. She looks great too. Also, for those concerned, she says the extra skin on her stomach is starting to pull in. She exercises regularly, and has held her weight for something like 4 years now.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Congratulations Deborah!!!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                  My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Comment

• Demuralist, your mom continues to be my inspiration. I'm just hopeful that I can get to her point before I'm in my 60s
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Agreed! But she keeps me from using age as an excuse. And since we are genetically connected and she has been battling weight longer than i have, i know it is doable. And that is what keeps me going.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• 12 week n=1 experiment
                        Protein 46g (sedentary female), Carb 5g, Fat 80%, Cals 1130 incl 30g Coconut Oil. If LBM lost move up a protein level. If Wt Loss stalls add extra 7g (56 cal) coconut oil

Start Weight: 174lb BMI: 28.03 BF (BIA): 40.7% Water: 43.2% LBM: 55.6% LBM: 103.2lb

Update: Week 2 of n=1

Weekly Average: Cals: 1132 Protein: 46g Ratio: Av % (16-2-82) Total Loss since start of n=-1: -6lb

Weight: 168lb Loss: -2 BMI: 27.03 BF (BIA): 39.3% Water: 43.2% LBM: 57.2% LBM: 102lb

Observations

My average daily weight loss trend suggests my av daily cal deficit for the past 2 weeks is 1167. To lose the required 2lb/wk I only need a deficit of 1000, so I’m going to up the cals by 70 this week to 1200.

The good thing is the LBM has suddenly jumped UP 1/2lb higher than last week & every thing I have read re deep NK says low protein is the way to go so I’m happy to stick to 46g for now.

All the loss came at the beginning of the week but the jump in LBM came at the end of the week so maybe my body is consolidating the current losses before losing more.

I am now on the brink of a NSZ which usually induces a stall so I guess I shall just have to be patient over the next few weeks.

Goals for week 3

1) Stick to set meals, no grazing
                        2) Take CO twice a day
                        3) Protein 46g, Cals 1200
                        Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-11-2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Oh I do need a DEX scan. I was reading on-line of someone who had a hydrostatic BF test (supposed to be more accurate than a DEX scan then she tested a number of on-line calculators & found the following to be the closest.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

So naturally I tried it - 26.16%. That was an hour ago and I'm still laughing.

Hope everyone has a good day

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                            Oh I do need a DEX scan. I was reading on-line of someone who had a hydrostatic BF test (supposed to be more accurate than a DEX scan then she tested a number of on-line calculators & found the following to be the closest.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

So naturally I tried it - 26.16%. That was an hour ago and I'm still laughing.

Hope everyone has a good day
                            WOW, talk about diversity in results! My scale gives me a Body Fat % of 54.5, that calculator gives me a % of 28.11. And I thought the scale weight was a useless measurement!
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I don't have a scale that measures body fat. What is the best way to find out your BF? I'm not going to go for a DEX scan, but I'd like an approximation. Or shouldn't I even worry about that?

My body type has always been more plush for lack of a different term. Even when weighing much much less, I still am cushiony. lol It doesn't bother me, just the way I am. Definitely not an athletic build.

My weekend was a success. The first weekend in perhaps years that I have not binged on something like Doritos, ice cream, or potato chips. I'm feeling very clear headed this morning as well.

Comment

• LOL, Deborah, I've always referred to myself as "fluffy". Even at my fittest and lowest weight (which was pretty skinny and carried a lot of muscle), I had a layer of fat that just wouldn't go away. My nice, hard earned muscles never really showed.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                                My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Comment

Working...
                                X