Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not a math person. I am speech-language pathologist. Because I am not a math person So...to break down the language. MFP said my BMR was 1506. I added in light exercise 30 min 4-5 times a week and it was just over 2000. I think 2100ish. So I hsould eat 1500 calories? ARrgghhh....why can't we just eat without all this angst?

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

MFP gives me 1765 BMR. I multiplied by 1.375 for less active days.
    Min Daily Calorie need 2427
    I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

Harris Benedict tells us to multiply the base BMR by the following:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Ya'll are getting wild with all these formulas and such. For those that that stuff makes your brain bleed, stay simple. Pick a range and go for it.
      My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
        I am not a math person. I am speech-language pathologist. Because I am not a math person So...to break down the language. MFP said my BMR was 1506. I added in light exercise 30 min 4-5 times a week and it was just over 2000. I think 2100ish. So I hsould eat 1500 calories? ARrgghhh....why can't we just eat without all this angst?
        Sorry, I did not mean to be confusing. I'm not sure why there is angst? I just don't want people acting on incorrect info. You can just use the general macro formula from the first page. The calories are built into that formula. To answer your calorie question, IMO You should at least eat your BMR calories, but could eat a little (say 10%) below your daily caloric needs and still lose weight.

Everyone if you don't want this info, don't use it. The basic KG formula works fine.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
          If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
          If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
          If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
          Harris-Benedict is the result of a multivariate regression on males and females in the early 20th century - body mass was correlated with age and gender to derive the equations. They have held up over the years, but they only provide BMR. They do not have the multipliers according to activity. Other folks have added those, as America became more calorie conscious.

Other studies have yielded other formulae - Mifflin-St Jeor and Katch-McArdle are two of the better known ones. I have a spreadsheet I set up when I was calorie counting (which works - PB is right that calories matter when losing weight - I also agree it's one hell of a lot easier with NK). I'll send it to anyone who desires -- feel free to use it as much or as little as you like (tried to attach it but it was tagged "invalid file" -- simple spreadsheet).

Comment

• Hey guys I'm still here following everything. I talked to my doctor about the fatigue and he ran about a million tests so depending on how they come back I may be joining you again soon.

Comment

• Erin Did you have your iron levels checked?
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Annlee,

That is probably why they refer to the activity multipliers as the "Revised Harris Benedict" formula. The note on MFP comparing the two formulae makes more sense now, Thank You.

I have found that the revised Harris Benedict is accurate enough for me and matches the information on calorie burn that I get from my Body Media Fit device.

EDIT: Just for comparison...

My BMR according to Harris Benedict equation (site linked in first post) 1768

My BMR according to Mifflin-St Joer equation (used on My Fitness Pal) 1765

Conclusion: Use whichever one you prefer.
                Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-03-2013, 05:34 AM.
                Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Yep they checked for anemia, checked a lot of vitamin levels and my thyroid again. I should have results next week.

Comment

My BMR without adding for activity is 1295. It sux being older!! I do lose best eating under 1200 calories.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                      GP, I love your turn of phrase, it always makes me smile, thanks!
                      You're welcome!

This thread moves insanely fast!!!
                      JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

So Paula, because I don't want to "exaggerate" what I do on a daily basis, I want to ask your opinion (and PaleoBird as she's kind of our resident expert).

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I do squats, lunges, pushups, body rows, then I use a box and do an isolation workout where I push up onto the box with one leg (step up) 20x, with each leg, twice. Then I do bridges and lateral leg raises. (aside from the upper body work, this is all in an attempt to get my "glutes turned on" so I can run better) I do these exercises "circuit" style, moving from one movement to the next without rest. I follow this with a 20 minute walk (1 mile). I do this 2-3 x a week. The other days I'll either walk 3 miles or walk a mile and ride the bike for 30 minutes. MFP says I burn roughly 200-300 on non-strength days and 300-500 calories on strength days. Does this constitute "light" or "moderate" activity?

Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                        You're welcome!

This thread moves insanely fast!!!
                        ^agreed! Hard to keep up!
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Macros or Calories?

There are two important points here:
                          1) The purpose of the EMF protocol is to reach a ketogenic state. You need a high percentage of fat (70+%) and a low carb count to reach Nutritional Ketosis. So for me the first aim would be to hit the fat macro.

2)BUT, It is also important to not over eat in the calorie arena. Try and stay a minimum of 10% below your BMR plus activity burn rate. If you have maxed out calories for the day and percentages are not right, then you should just try again the next day.

***For many of us, it took several weeks to find the right food combos that allowed us to hit our fat goal within our calorie max.
                          Thx pebbles my normal cals are 1350, ratio 17-3-80 but went off menu yesterday and end up with 1239 cals ratio 19-7-74.

I have found the best way to do this WOE is to check the numbers in the evening & then add the appropriate fat (macadamia nuts or coconut oil) to hit the 80%. A normal portion of coconut oil (25g) took me to cal 1439 ratio 16-6-78. Not being able face more oil I then had 25g nuts which took me to a final 1626 15-6-79. today I will keep the ratio & drop the cals to balance things out.

I work my BMR out based on LBM (1372) before activity & try to stick to that with a fat intake of 80% (as I have been stalling for weeks on 70%) & I figure any activity will give me a calorie deficit. The 7lb loss last week (1st week on EMF) seems to suggest these numbers are right for me. I'm very interested to see if the next 4 wks will confirm this.

PS: My biggest problem with food is that if I buy a treat (eg a bar of 90% chocolate or some cheese) I end up eating it all at once rather than portion it out over a number of days. I would love to be able to have something in the house & enjoy it over a period of time rather than feel I shouldn't really have bought it & need to get it out of the way so I can 'Start again tomorrow'. I am hoping this WOE will help me. This week I have managed to portion out the berries over 3 days & the battle of the grapefruit last night was won - simply to avoid upsetting the macros even further. So thanks for running this thread. It's got me back into tracking & come to terms with the fact that eating fat on its own really is ok.
                          Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-03-2013, 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            So Paula, because I don't want to "exaggerate" what I do on a daily basis, I want to ask your opinion (and PaleoBird as she's kind of our resident expert).
                            You are in the same boat as I am. I decided to use light activity as my general marker, but honestly I think we both spend a lot of time in the moderate area. The BodyMediaFit will really help with this. My cals with light activity are 2427. I aim for about 1900 cals. So on light workout days I am solidly 20% below my burn and on heavy workout days up to 40%. This also allows me leeway to eat more if my body needs it. My BMF device tells me that I never burn less than 2500 now.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Ddraig Goch Your plan looks great. I too moved up to 80% on Jan 16th. It has really helped with cravings and I finally got into deep ketosis. There are a lot of treat like things in my house. None of my guys are Primal (husband and 3 sons). I am avoiding anything sweet right now due to lack of control. Someday, I too hope to be able to have some dark chocolate or berries without going crazy.

EDIT: At the end of my day I add CO to my tea if I need more fat. Not in love with the "oil slick" on top, but I have gotten used to it.
                              Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-03-2013, 05:30 AM.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Morning all! Someone on here mentioned that Ketostix aren't really accurate (I think it was back in the January post though). I'm curious about this. I had 6 carbs on Friday and was purple yesterday. I had 17 carbs yesterday and was moderate this morning. I'm trying to fine tune my fats and carbs in a spreadsheet so I'm better able to determine what puts me where but if they aren't accurate then I need to know that there might be some fluctuation. I can share the spreadsheet when I'm done if anyone wants a copy. Nothing fancy though.

Megan

Comment

Working...
                                X