Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 252dlp View Post
    I'm interested in this as well. I was so a desperate couple of weeks ago that I just ate a hunk of butter. I've been trying to think of something else and the only thing I can think of is mixing coconut oil and butter, but there MUST be something better without a sweetener.
    All I can think of is butter and coconut oil too! lol

If I wasn't doing the 21 day sugar detox, I wouldn't be worried about a tiny amount of honey or what-not.

There are a few recipes in the fat fast cookbook, but everything calls for sweetener and I can't imagine it without. Maybe the items that have almond butter would be ok without sweetener. I'll have to experiment, I guess.

It's rough b/c we can't even have fruit on the 21 day deal so batty's blueberry butter balls are out too...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
      Sort of seems you can't win for losing.
      Homemade broth is the only other option - but you'd have to salt it pretty good to get the electrolytes you'd need to recover from the carb flu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
        Could you use coco powder? I just eat the butter on its own but the coco powder i use has no sugar in it (9 days to go and i will have been sugar free for a year - the odd bar of 90% choc).
        Yes, I did do this with some unsweetened coconut flakes...it was butter, unsweetened coconut flakes and a little unsweetened cocoa powder and I think a little coconut manna. I just put that all in a little ramikin and nuked it in the microwave. What I should have done was nuked the butter and manna first, lol. I see some people put in nut butters as well. I was looking for just fat with not much protein at the time, but I may also try adding in a little almond butter.

Oh, and I meant to say congratulations on 1 year sugar-free!!! That is an accomplishment!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
        My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• For adding fat, I would just put butter and oil (I use mct) in a cup of coffee or tea. What about avocado with mayo and salt. Butter in a cup of broth. You could mix cream cheese mixed equal parts with almond butter (or any nut butter) it makes a pretty good pudding like consistency and doesn't need sweetener. I don't care for cocoa powder left unsweetened, but carob powder is a bit easier for me to do for some reason, you could add a hint of that for depth of flavor.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            You could mix cream cheese mixed equal parts with almond butter (or any nut butter) it makes a pretty good pudding like consistency and doesn't need sweetener. I don't care for cocoa powder left unsweetened, but carob powder is a bit easier for me to do for some reason, you could add a hint of that for depth of flavor.
            I was craving that broth last night, lol. I wasn't hungry so I didn't have it, but the next time I need fat, I'll do that. I'm also going to try the cream cheese and almond butter...that sounds great and I just happened to buy some cream cheese this week.

Comment

• when you mix the cream cheese and nut butter together in about equal parts it kind of whips up (I use a fork and just a small dish) almost moose like. I add stevia cause I am usually craving a sweet treat, but it doesn't need it.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Off to fiddle with my MFP totals to see if that fits, lol.

Comment

• hey pebbles, curious whether P & V were especially concerned with sodium in particular or the general depletion of electrolytes. i've noticed that when i start to feel a little off coconut water seems to help a lot. it has minimal amounts of sodium and magnesium, but the dominant one is potassium. i wonder if it has something to do with the consequential potassium depletion discussed in the article being fixed or if its more to do with reestablishing electrolyte balance as a whole. thoughts?

Comment

• Someone on Facebook recommended almond butter, butter, and coconut oil melted and mixed, then refrigerated to harden. Going to try it tonight. Going to do 1 part of each.

Comment

• Originally posted by primaLeaf View Post
                      hey pebbles, curious whether P & V were especially concerned with sodium in particular or the general depletion of electrolytes. i've noticed that when i start to feel a little off coconut water seems to help a lot. it has minimal amounts of sodium and magnesium, but the dominant one is potassium. i wonder if it has something to do with the consequential potassium depletion discussed in the article being fixed or if its more to do with reestablishing electrolyte balance as a whole. thoughts?
                      The way I read what they are saying, is that your body will begin to steal potassium from your muscles as a reaction to the rapid loss of sodium. So it makes sense that the influx of potassium from the coconut water would make you feel better. The best bet would be to keep sodium levels up thereby keeping potassium levels up in the first place.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                        The way I read what they are saying, is that your body will begin to steal potassium from your muscles as a reaction to the rapid loss of sodium. So it makes sense that the influx of potassium from the coconut water would make you feel better. The best bet would be to keep sodium levels up thereby keeping potassium levels up in the first place.
                        What is the best brand or way to get coconut water?

Comment

• doesn't coconut water generally have sugar/reasonably high carbs?
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

doesn't coconut water generally have sugar/reasonably high carbs?
                            15g in the Zico tetrapak so yes, one has to carb budget accordingly.

Comment

doesn't coconut water generally have sugar/reasonably high carbs?
                              I don't know. I was interested in balancing electrolytes. I like to use bullion to increase sodium (for leg cramps) but I don't like the water retention that comes with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                                Thanks both for confirming what I already thought. I shall ask for the burger with no bun & some salad & take my own dressing
                                Sorry I am late with this - different timezone I suspect.

Ddraig, You might want to ring the venue in advance and check. In my part of the world a homemade hamburger would still typically contain breadcrumbs used as a binder. Even if it didn't, they may well have used a commercial herb mix with additives, or their special secret flavouring may be a bit of soy sauce, or it arrives topped with their house special - beer fried onions.

I can't do gluten, so in your situation I would either pay for the steak myself or take a meal with me. Steak and salad (no dressing, no marinade, no sauce, no chips) is the only thing I will eat prepared by others. Turning up with a meal in a container only feels awkward the first time, I do it regularly and you just to use a bit of chutzpah. Remember, it is your company that people want. The other trick is letting the host know, and turning up after the main meal has been eaten, so you can eat at home beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                                X