Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by 252dlp View Post
      I definitely want to try the stick blender version of mayo. I tried it years ago with the drippy oil thing and it so did not work for me, lol. I am not a cook by-the-way, lol. I have the instructions at home, I just need to do it. Not motivated to do much of anything once I get home these days.

I DID do 10 minutes on the elliptical on my lunch break today. Tried to make it more of a lower body workout than cardio though...really concentrated on using my legs to push down instead of using momentum like I normally do.

So, somewhere in this thread someone (sorry, I forgot who) posted a link to the army's spreadsheet to find out body fat. Um, I finally got around to doing that this morning and according to that my BF is 38.34%. Wow. So if I'm 38.34% body fat, is it as simple as I'm 112.222 lean body mass? I weight 182, but just multiplied that by 38.34% and figured the rest was lean body, lol.

Off to go find a lean body mass calculator.
      I posted the spreadsheet. To answer your question, I don't know, but would assume you did the math right.

It says my body fat is roughly 38% as well, and I weigh 183 (as of last official weigh in). 112 lbs in lean body mass wouldn't be too far fetched considering I was skinnish-fat at 140 lbs with a body fat percentage of roughly 27%.

I have found using my stick blender only works well for things that have a very thinner consistency (like cream cheese pancakes) and not so much for things with a thick consistency (like mayo and "whipped" heavy cream). Mayo works very well (for me anyway) with a hand mixer on medium. I place the ingredients into a 2 cup measuring cup with one beater in my mixer. I pour the oil directly into the beater about a tbsp at a time and it mixes up in about 5 minutes.
      Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
        Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.
        I've found that's the golden answer for me. In the first few days I was hungry a lot, switching over to NK/EMF, because my body was in transition from glucose burning to fat burning. Now I've transitioned I'm finding it a lot easier. It's helping to have 3 cups of broth a day with CO melted into it. But adding the carbs only prolongs the transition and makes life harder, I think.

Good luck with it, Gigi!

Comment

• Originally posted by OzK View Post
          I've found that's the golden answer for me. In the first few days I was hungry a lot, switching over to NK/EMF, because my body was in transition from glucose burning to fat burning. Now I've transitioned I'm finding it a lot easier. It's helping to have 3 cups of broth a day with CO melted into it. But adding the carbs only prolongs the transition and makes life harder, I think.

Good luck with it, Gigi!
          ^this... Your body is used to running on glucose and when you don't supply it, it thinks it's hungry... but there is plenty of fuel available if you're overweight like me. There's a transition period where you feel hungry and tired b/c your body hasn't made the switch yet - about a week. After that, you'll be good to go on less food and very little carbohydrate.

Comment

• Do you all make your own broth? I have some chicken broth in the freezer, though it's been in there for months (or longer, lol). I did make that myself, but Whole Foods has cans of broth (I usually keep some around for when my gastroparesis flares up) which don't have junk ingredients (I think...must double check). I might have to use the broth with the oil just until the hunger supression kicks in.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
            My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Dr. Attia recommends bouillon. As counter-intuitive as that seems, he justifies the "questionable ingredients" by reminding us that they are there in such a small amount that it won't cause us harm. The bouillon is good for the electorlytes (salts, etc) but some have found success with salted broth. I personally use bouillon b/c it follows his recommendation.

Comment

• I'll look for some at Whole Foods on the weekend. Thanks! I have low blood pressure so my doctor actually suggested broth, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I used the bouillon to keep away the symptoms of the change over to ketosis, for me the broth did not do it as well-even salted. But I use broth for hunger. Homemade is best there, it isn't just about what they might add to it, it is about what comes from the bones when you stew them long enough to pull the minerals out. It should keep for months in the freezer unless it defrosted.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                    I used the bouillon to keep away the symptoms of the change over to ketosis, for me the broth did not do it as well-even salted. But I use broth for hunger. Homemade is best there, it isn't just about what they might add to it, it is about what comes from the bones when you stew them long enough to pull the minerals out. It should keep for months in the freezer unless it defrosted.
                    If you freeze it and then thaw it, then boil it before refreezing, it'll be ok. It's synonymous with cooking thawed meat before re-freezing.

Comment

• I make my own broth, both chicken and beef and add a half cube of bouillon to it in the morning. I like the the fact that the bone broth is helping my fingernails and hair out immensely and the bouillon adds a bit of salt which I love. It's a win-win in my book.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        If you freeze it and then thaw it, then boil it before refreezing, it'll be ok. It's synonymous with cooking thawed meat before re-freezing.
                        Nice tip!
                        Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by OzK View Post
                          My big hurdle's going to come when people start notice that I'm losing weight again.
                          Having lost only half the weight I need to lose, my mum has become very anti me losing anymore weight so rather than cause friction I donít mention it anymore & if she asks I just remain non-committal. That is why this forum is so great. There are lots of supportive friends here we can celebrate our successes with.

Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                          I hope that my experience doesn't deter you. I think I'm one of those special cases that require just the right tweaking.

I do think the blood ketone monitor is a great asset for those that need some evidence beyond the stixs and who have hit a plateau that isn't budging. The price of the strips, although expensive just isn't as big of a factor for me.

Not deterred at all. I think your n=1 is very interesting. Unfortunately money is a real issue for me right now but my new n=1 has got me very excited, so for me, not having the monitor is not such a problem at the moment. If I were going to use the blood ketone monitor I would want to be able to do at least 3 months worth Ė I think to get it right takes time & I think it would be more worth while for me personally when I am down to the last few pounds.

Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                          On another note, if any of you have an iphone, Apple has a free app called Podcasts. On that if you search for LLVLC, you'll see Jimmy Moore's podcast.
                          I donít know much about these things but I wonder if the podcasts could be found on android?

Well done on hitting the macros but the way. It will be interesting to see what happens to your numbers if you are able to hit them consistently

The Russian circus has crept upon me today, completely unawares, no cramp, no bloating, nothing (scales were down a lb this am) so I got caught out. Luckily had black trousers on. I never thought I would say this but sometimes a little indication is helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            yes, what I do for myself and what I would suggest to others, when considering food safety are a bit different. In advice to others I err on the overly safe side, but you are correct.
                            Chris
                            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                              I make my own broth, both chicken and beef and add a half cube of bouillon to it in the morning. I like the the fact that the bone broth is helping my fingernails and hair out immensely and the bouillon adds a bit of salt which I love. It's a win-win in my book.
                              ooo, excellent idea.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                                I would personally urge strongly NOT to increase your carbs as that would generally trigger hunger. My suggestion is to try to stick close to the percentages until you get over the hunger then slowly lower the calories. I have forgotten what your goal weight is? For 1680 calories you would get 140g of fat, 70g of protein and 35g of carbs. For your 2000 calorie day I think you would be better off pushing your calories from the carbs to the fats. So closer to 150g of fat, 88g of protein and 35g of carb. Then once you are comfy and have reached a level of appetite suppression you can lower the protein and then the fat. I would suggest nuts or even chocolate is a better choice than dates though. But for me the best thing for after dinner I am still hungry is a cup of tea (or decaf coffee) and bullet proof it to the extent that I have the macros left.
                                Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                                Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.
                                Originally posted by OzK View Post

Good luck with it, Gigi!
                                Thank you all for your replies. I have been struggling to get my carbs below 50g for over a year, on and off. I just get really hungry and weak and all trying to fill up on fat just doesn't seem to work. I've made huge improvements over the past year - I now can go several hours between meals and don't need to snack. I almost never binge anymore. And now recently increasing my fat makes me feel a lot better. But I just can't lose weight or even keep my calories below 2000 for more than a couple of days in a row. I'm always hungry. I'm really thinking its a hormonal problem. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay to get my hormones tested and get look into HRT or something. With our public health system in Canada, my family doctor wont' test my hormones, as my cycles are still regular. I'm 45 and in perimenopause, currently 205lb with a goal of 165lb. The weight just won't move -aargghhh. 8 years ago, way before primal, I lost 40lb (and kept it off) just by reducing my carbs somewhat and increasing my protein. Now it just seems impossible to lose even 5lb (the weight gain came after having a baby 4 years ago).

Anyway - I admire the women on this board and how well you document your individual experiences. - it's good to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X