Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this on Dr. Attia's site - thought I would share. I know this topic has been discussed before - and always when blood ketone test kits are being talked about.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.

that should ease the minds of some of us. He also says being in the deep purple isn't an indication of fat burning - only and indication of lots of fat in the urine. This could come from a fatty meal, or from alcohol consumption because the body will use alcohol first, then fat stores. (another reason for jumping on the wagon)
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• @InSearchOfAbs that is when I put on a skirt, gotta be comfy.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Thoughts about the wagon.........

I try not to drink cuz it messes with my energy and brain clarity.

But, I drink cuz I like the taste, hubby and I have fun with it, and it helps me sleep like a rock! Although I feel sluggish the next day.

I've been talking about NOT drinking at all for a year now........... I haven't gone more that 3 weeks.

When I drink, I drink too much. Never just one. I want to make the decision to NOT drink at all - or only once in a great while when we eat out at the places that make killer long islands. But I need hubby to be on board with me.

Before vacation we decided we weren't going to drink until I reached goal weight - 'cept for vacation. But, it seems to fall to me to be the "rum police" cuz while we were gone we drove down into Cali to the discount store and bought and entire case of rum. Its LOTS cheaper in Cali - since Oregon has price fixing, and the state runs the liquor stores. Anyway - now we have lots of it. Now hubby is very okay with having it on the weekends. I need to just say "I'm not drinking" cuz if I don't drink then he doesn't either (normally). Not always though. UGH...........
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Hi again EMFers! Thanks for entertaining my question a few pages ago. I spent most of yesterday reading through the whole thread (sorry professors).

Been primal to varying degrees of compliance for almost two years. I think somewhere along the line I forgot the initial message to embrace dietary fat. Remembered a couple weeks ago when I was doing some research to see if I could remedy lifelong digestive, ahem, recalcitrance. Spent a weekend in ketosis and felt fab. No cravings, steady energy, etc.

So I'm here because I'd like to drop about 22 lbs. (though my goal is more aesthetic than numbers-based) and because I'd like to find a version of primal/paleo that is optimal for ME. It strikes me that this thread is so enjoyable to read because, unlike so many others on the forum, it isn't about telling others what will UNDOUBTEDLY work for them, but supporting each other in the quest to find individualized success. So, if you'll have me, I'd love to come around and hang out!

In addition to my aesthetic goals, I'm looking for something that allows me to chill out w/r/t how much I think about nutrition. Intuitive eating is not my bag. Nor is regular IF. I had some success with it last year, and even though it was much easier than it would have been when I was a scone destroyer, I was still staring at the clock waiting for noon.

With the above in mind, I think I will resist, at least initially, counting macros. Instead I'm going to focus on keeping it VLC (under 30ish) and on adding good fats - bulletproof coffee, etc. See, how that goes, assess periodically, adjust as needed.

Sorry for the essay. I hope it at least gave you something marginally interesting to read and distract you from work/school/whatever. Happy Tuesday!

Comment

• Welcome Primaleaf! I think I came to this thread for the same reason, the support (and lots of info).

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
            My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• tomi, I quit drinking a few years back. I have never been much of one to drink at home, so it wasn't that hard. I just declared myself the designated driver, which was easy because I had impressionable kids. Now when friends come to play cards I will have a drink-a glass of red wine usually, before VLC it was a margarita usually. I just have found that once out of the habit, it is like anything else, you lose the taste for it. Now there will always be something you would enjoy (Brandy Alexander comes to mind) but to me just not worth the calories. I also tend to be someone who doesn't stop at one of anything, stopping at none is much easier for me. Good luck.

PrimalLeaf, glad you are here, good luck with your plan. I have found that although I used to be a clock watcher and could never have gone more than about 4 hours without eating something, with this LCHF breakfast I easily go 7.5 hours. I try not to let myself skip lunch entirely though at is tends to produce a binge effect for dinner.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• My typical breakfast during the week is a bulletproof coffee and a cup of bone broth with half a bouillon cube in it. I like it and its helping with my hair and fingernails. The only time I eat food at breakfast is one the weekends when I make it for the family. I really only eat 2 meals a day with food. I've found that for me, this is the best way for me to make this work.
                Georgette

Comment

• Georgette, I am with you. Two meals and depending on the meal, sometimes one is plenty. Sometimes I find I want BPC or BPT in the evening instead of a meal.

Fat fasting today and tomorrow.. we will see about a 3rd day after tomorrow.
                  Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• {{Sigh}} I haven't got to that one or two meals a day thing yet. Though I AM feeling less hungry, it's not enough to go more than 4-5 hours--I start feeling sick before I feel hungry if I wait too long. Weird. I DO think cutting back on protein and carbs will help, but I just have to stick to it.

EDIT: I do find myself craving BPC though! So I think I'm on the right track.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Comment

• I have such a boring job that I am constantly watching the clock and tend to eat to break the monotony of doing absolutely nothing while the phone is not ringing... when I worked a busier job, I could easily skip lunch and not realize it... And then there are the jobs I didn't like where lunch was an escape from a dreadful job. This position holds the title of dreadful and boring... so even when I'm not hungry, I still eat lunch. Maybe some day in the future I'll have a job that will keep me busy enough that my mind isn't always on food, but not so busy that I need a mental break at lunch.
                      Primal since March 5, 2012
                      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Tomi, I used to drink every weekend - back before we had kids. MIL and I would get falling down drunk at the races and then ride home with the guys. I got pregnant and my desires to drink disappeared. Of course, you don't have the same option, so I would recommend finding something else to occupy your mind when hubby is drinking... maybe you could research the effects alcohol on fibromyalgia remission or the effects of alcohol on overall health or something - something that will deter you from drinking until the habit is broken. I could go back to drinking at the races if I wanted to... but quite frankly, it's too expensive.

What kind of rum do you usually drink?
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by 252dlp View Post
                          {{Sigh}} I haven't got to that one or two meals a day thing yet. Though I AM feeling less hungry, it's not enough to go more than 4-5 hours--I start feeling sick before I feel hungry if I wait too long. Weird. I DO think cutting back on protein and carbs will help, but I just have to stick to it.

Going to 1-2 meals a day was not an overnight sensation. What you might try when you get that shakey, sick feeling is some boullion. Adding butter to the boullion would not hurt either.
                          Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by 252dlp View Post
                            {{Sigh}} I haven't got to that one or two meals a day thing yet. Though I AM feeling less hungry, it's not enough to go more than 4-5 hours--I start feeling sick before I feel hungry if I wait too long. Weird. I DO think cutting back on protein and carbs will help, but I just have to stick to it.

you will get there, I was like that when I first started. I didn't really feel hungry, I would just feel sick if I went too long. Now at about 4-5 hours in a get a little tummy rumble but I can, and usually do, ignore it. Why? Because if I eat at that first rumble it would be noonish, then dinner is no earlier than 6:30 and my witching hours are late afternoon, it would open me up to binging. But pushing through that first rumble allows me to wait to have lunch until at least 2:30, then when I get home I am not starved and can get something done before I start dinner and not be pantry prowling! I doubt I will bother to do the whole 2 meal thing, although technically I only eat twice, I drink breakfast.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Another question. I've worked the last few days to keep my protein AND carbs low. Yesterday I tested at 1.7 which was the highest I'd gotten on the ketone monitor. I kept my protein within a gram and the ketone measurement went down. So, my question is, if I don't have enough fat even when keeping protein and carbs low, will that lower the ketones also?

23-Feb 124 70 16 1.5 85 *after exercise
                              24-Feb 78 53 6 0.7 78
                              25-Feb 86 52 14 1.7 81
                              26-Feb 0.7 87 *after exercise

Remember that all testing is in the morning so this morning's .7 would've been as a result of yesterday, right?

I made some variation of cream cheese clouds last night so my fat will be higher today...for SURE!

:-)

Comment

• well, given this is an inexact science, I am going to guess, that yes your low fat seems to be keeping you in low ketosis.

But are you losing weight? I mean you are in ketosis right? And at least in Jimmy Moore's experiment his numbers after sunset average higher than his morning ones.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X