Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
    My body is frustrating me. After dropping out of ketosis a few days ago (presumably because of the 30 carbs), I got back in then dropped back out. The protein dropping with the carbs doesn't seem to help. I even took my FBG this morning in case that information would help. It's not necessarily the weight (though I've gained this week) but more the fact that I can't seem to get into this NK for the life of me. Thoughts?

Megan

[ATTACH]10789[/ATTACH]
    I cant remember if you've posted your fat% & I can’t open your attachment but you may want to try 80% fat (anything lower doesn’t seem to work for me) if you are not already & as Demuralist says, drop the protein. I'm starting again at 46g as per pebbles post for a standard sedentary female (I'm 5'6) which seems extremely low & will work up if I'm losing LBM in increments of 5g to a max of 62g (1xkg HSIS). Just to give you some ideas

Please don't give up though. Finding the answer is going to take time. Also some sites say it can take up to 6wks to get into full NK

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
      Please note: I am no expert, just making observations here.... when I look at your MFP diary yesterday looks pretty good, but Mon, Tues, and Wednesday you are pretty high protein. Just going by what we have been reading recently from Dr. Ede's blog her protein looks like it needs to be down to about 50g. Your lowest protein in the past week was 63g, what if you try to make that your highest protein in the next week, keeping your carbs the same, and increasing fat as necessary to feel satisfied?
      Yeah, I've been following her experiment and did notice her protein but I guess I was expecting on days that I had the lower protein and low carbs (like the 11th or the 16th) that I'd be higher the next day. Maybe my body doesn't work that quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
        Megan, I'm no expert either, by far, but I swear by the fat fast (no more than 3 days) to get things started again. It's no fun, but it sure helped me get back on track. (I did it with higher calories. )
        I'll have to do some more research and check it out.

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

Please don't give up though. Finding the answer is going to take time. Also some sites say it can take up to 6wks to get into full NK
        Oh no, I won't be giving up anytime soon, just frustrated that those that are testing are getting such high numbers and I'm not even close. My percentage yesterday was 78%, 17% and 5%. The day before was 74/21/5 and the day before was 75/18/6. I'm between 5'11 and 6ft.

Thanks for reading and responding to my frustration.

Comment

• Megan, I still can't see your tests as they compare to your daily totals, so I could be way off base. What is your HSIS? Essentially, the highest recommendations for a normally active woman trying to lose weight is to have your protein in grams the same as your goal weight in kg. So if you are shooting for say 160 pounds that would be 72g of protein. I just suspect some people are more susceptible to having their protein negatively effect their NK, for some it is probably the carbs. For Pebbles, her weight started to drop when she got her fat up to 80%. According to Nora Gedgaudas (she wrote Primal Body Primal Mind) the body can't use more than 25g of protein at a sitting. Its an N=1 and for some of us it is going to take longer to figure it out. We will all get there though.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Megan, I figured my protein level based on my goal weight of 165 or 75kg x .8. (60g). I am 5'10" I do go to the gym 4 days a week so I am allowing a possible range if I need it.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
              Megan, I still can't see your tests as they compare to your daily totals, so I could be way off base. .
              What tests? :-)

My HSIS is between 91 and 100kg. I know this seems high, but I remember myself just a few lbs skinnier than that and it wasn't pretty. I workout 5 days a week alternating between swimming, cycling and running. On days that I run I throw in a few sets of push ups, med ball exercises or something involving a kettle bell.

So Pebbles, mine would be 91kg x .8 = 72.8 or 100kg x .8 = 80, right? Many of my days were below 80 (many of them weren't too). I think I'll aim for the lower number of 70-72 ish this week.

I hope I'm not sounding combative or argumentative. I'm writing/talking through this as I go. I really do appreciate the input.

ME

Comment

• I have been invited out to dinner in a couple of weeks time. I have just checked the menu - not good. The only 'meat only' option is steak & as someone else is paying I wont be ordering that (over here steak is the expensive option) . So that leaves me with home made beefburger or home made mushroom stroganoff? Any thoughts either way?

Comment

• Hi, all.

I wrote a post yesterday and then zoomed away and apparently didn't actually post it. Sorry about that...so Pebbles asked about my goal weight and offered suggestions for my macros. Thank you for that!

My goal weight is 118; I am 5'2", 57 years old, not fine-boned but nobody would ever call me sturdy.

I have modified my macros to drop the protein and raise the fat. So now I am at 100 gm of fat and 60 gm protein. I am finding this pretty hard to do but I can see that I am slowly getting the hang of it.

I am impressed by your scientific approach, N=1 notwithstanding, and still awed by all of the acronyms. I am getting many of them.

I have dropped a little weight which feels good. I mean really a little....1.2 pounds. I have reached this point several times over the last year and when I drop below 130 there is something about that mark that somehow results in my losing my focus. So I am aware of that and wanting to maintain focus.

I was really wondering what you are meaning when you refer to a binge. A day when you eat 1800 calories, all of it primal, may be off program but wouldn't count as a binge in my world. I wonder if maybe that language is a bit harsh? I do find (n=1, of course) that when I am kinder to myself the changes are easier to make. Somehow over the last 1.5 years, I lost ten pounds without knowing how. Mostly I stopped berating myself. Anyway, I am hoping to work this NK plan without too much self criticism and just see what this now-menopausal body needs in order to let go of extra fat and grow some strong muscles.

Thanks again for this thread. It has helped me to negotiate MFP as well.

Comment

• Megan, I am thinking that you should slowly lower your protein until the NK numbers come up again. Start at 73.

Also, what are your total calories?
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Originally posted by pamola10 View Post
                      Hi, all.

I was really wondering what you are meaning when you refer to a binge. A day when you eat 1800 calories, all of it primal, may be off program but wouldn't count as a binge in my world. I wonder if maybe that language is a bit harsh? I do find (n=1, of course) that when I am kinder to myself the changes are easier to make. Somehow over the last 1.5 years, I lost ten pounds without knowing how. Mostly I stopped berating myself. Anyway, I am hoping to work this NK plan without too much self criticism and just see what this now-menopausal body needs in order to let go of extra fat and grow some strong muscles.

Thanks again for this thread. It has helped me to negotiate MFP as well.
                      pamola10,

I have a binge eating disorder. When triggered, I will eat for 3-5 hrs straight shoving down all the sugar and carbs I can. This results in eating 5,000? extra calories. When I write binge, I mean BINGE!
                      I need to add that I am not unkind to myself, but I cannot sugar coat it either because I have health issues and each binge could cause serious complications.

EDIT: I wrote "sugar coat" lol
                      Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-22-2013, 12:21 PM.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Megan, the test I was referring to was that I thought that the attachment that is/was not showing yet is showing the ketone blood tests you have been doing and how they relate to your macros. I am not taking it argumentative at all. It is hard to add the inflection when you type and on this particular thread especially, I assume positive vibes.

pamola, for me a binge is how/why I eat and has nothing to do with what/how much I eat. I have binged on brussells sprouts (not a good idea mind you). So if you use the original formula from the first page and take your 118lb goal which is 53kg, then your protein goal would be 53g, carbs half that at 26g and fat double it at 106g. If you experience a stall you might push your macros closer to that and see if it helps.

Pebbles haha, pass the bacon!
                        Chris
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                          Megan, I am thinking that you should slowly lower your protein until the NK numbers come up again. Start at 73.

Also, what are your total calories?
                          Somewhere between 1400-1500. I go spurts of 1200 and 1300 and then one day was as high as almost 1800. I think I average around 1350 with no allocation for exercise.

Demuralist - Can you not see the image that I posted?

Comment

• Nope, it says attachments pending approval. I sure it will show up in a day or two. these things can take time.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                              Somewhere between 1400-1500. I go spurts of 1200 and 1300 and then one day was as high as almost 1800. I think I average around 1350 with no allocation for exercise.

Demuralist - Can you not see the image that I posted?
                              Looks like lowering Protein is the way to go. Maybe Try to keep total carbs at 20 max.

Maybe your body just needs time to adjust.
                              Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Hey guys, I am doing to ketosis challenge, but I have a question. How do you figure out your HSIS?

Comment

Working...
                                X