Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
    do you take the gelatin in capsule form or is there another way?
    I take it in "granules" like nearly powdered. I buy it in 5 lb sacks from NOW at Amazon. Buying the boxes of Knox are just way too expensive.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
      I buy it here Amazon.com: duck fat organic
      It is expensive but it's a good size jar and you use just a little .. Scrambled or fried eggs, OMG, sooo good.

Comment

• Originally posted by epicuriousbynature View Post
        Absolutely!!! Granted, I don't measure anything, but it's super easy. Mostly I make brown mushroom gravy and chicken gravy. Those are two staples. I like to broil hamburger patties in the oven on a sheetpan, usually 6 at a time and use the drippings after they're cooked. Same thing with a pot roast or the cans of beef tips, I use the fat and broth in the can. With chicken, exact same thing, broiled and use the drippings, haven't used the water in the canned type though.

I use both Guar Gum or Xantham Gum, I don't have a preference, I have a bag of each and use which ever I grab first.
        I also use several different types of Better Than Boullion, chicken, beef and mushroom are what I keep on hand all the time. I like a rich gravy, so I always add it.

Drippings in a skillet or saucepan (if your adding in mushrooms or onions, sautee them in the dripping with additional butter/grease
        Add enough water and Boullion in the saucepan like you're making stock... (I NEVER measure, but the jar has directions) bring it to a full simmer. Once it's simmering, slowly whisk in the Xantham Gum or Guar Gum. Personally, I cut off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and just kind of let the air push out little bits at a time. Whisk whisk whisk on simmer and it'll start to thicken almost immediately.... if you add to much, add a little water. Add any spices you like, I always add salt, pepper and garlic. Be careful with the salt though... you won't need it if your drippings are seasoned from the meat or you are not a big salt craver. I literally crave salt, so I usually end up adding a little bit.

Once it cools down, it gets a bit gelatenous, but can easily be reheated. It won't get the exact smooth texture unless you heat it and whisk it again.

I make both ground beef and the canned beef this way... cook the meat, make the gravy in the same pan and top it with some goat cheese! Yummo!
        This sounds great and easy. Can the Better than Boullion be bought at regular grocery stores?

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          I am also interested in what you use as a thickener. I usually use tapioca starch and spread out over a recipe the carb content isn't bad, but I'm sure there's a better way.

How "primal" is Xantham Gum? I saw that endorced on the Fat Fast Cookbook site.
          The Xantham and Guar Gum is what I use as the thickener, one at a time, not both. I recall when I first started using them, the fiber content or each counter balances the carb count. I'll double check my packages. I use Bobs Red Mill brand for both of them. I originally bought both in case I thought one tasted weird and a little bit goes a long way, so it takes a while to use up. They can be used in anything you want to thicken.

Honestly I haven't thought about the primal part. It's in a lot of things you wouldn't think though, like toothpaste and salad dressings. I'm not fully primal, so I don't follow it to a T. I think I'll research that a bit more now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
            This sounds great and easy. Can the Better than Boullion be bought at regular grocery stores?
            It takes me abotu 2 minutes to make!!! Super easy and yummy! My boyfriend thinks I make the best gravy he's ever had! He requests the burger patties and gravy often.

Yes, you can buy chicken and beef at costco in larger jars. In the grocery store, it's usually on a top shelf in a glass jar.... We have it in our regular grocery stores around here and the natural stores too. Here's the website, just so you know what the jar looks like. Superior Touch

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
              Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
              It is expensive but it's a good size jar and you use just a little .. Scrambled or fried eggs, OMG, sooo good.
              Yum, I remember eating potato wedges fried in Duck Fat when I was in Ireland a few years ago... A-Maz-Ing!!!

Comment

• Xantham and Guar Gum info..... I knew some of it and learned some more!!!

http://docs.bobsredmill.com/index2.p...5307&Itemid=29

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                  I take it in "granules" like nearly powdered. I buy it in 5 lb sacks from NOW at Amazon. Buying the boxes of Knox are just way too expensive.
                  I'm going to try this once I have some money. It might even override my short term desire for a blood ketone monitor

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
                    I cook and eat a duck once every couple of weeks or so... it renders plenty of fat extra for cooking.
                    I LOVE duck fat.

I haven't done a goose in a while... I's love to get my hands on one though.
                    LOTSA lovely fat there!
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                      I'm going to try this once I have some money. It might even override my short term desire for a blood ketone monitor
                      I get Great Lakes Kosher Beef Gelatin from the company. It is the only pasture raised source I have found. You do also get gelatin from the homemade bone broth. If you cook the bones long enough with a splash of ACV you can freeze it in cubes and use it for cooking. Way cheaper than the granules.
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                        I get Great Lakes Kosher Beef Gelatin from the company. It is the only pasture raised source I have found. You do also get gelatin from the homemade bone broth. If you cook the bones long enough with a splash of ACV you can freeze it in cubes and use it for cooking. Way cheaper than the granules.
                        I have been making chicken stock from the carcass since going primal. I cook it in a slow cooker for 24hrs. Each carcass makes approx 3.5 quarts of stock & I have an 1/8th a day. Not sure how much gelatine this would equal (I have noticed my nails growing stronger though) but I guess I need a lot more for it to make any difference to sagging skin.

If I made it from beef bones any idea how much would be the same as taking 1 tbsp of granules?

The only bulk gelatine I can find here in the UK is NOW FOOD beef & chicken but its expensive & I cant find any thing that tells me how many tbsp you get in a lb so its a bit difficult to work out how long 5lb would last.

Still, will put it on my ever-growing list.

PS what is ACV please? I keep seeing it mentioned but have no idea what it is.

Comment

• I take 3 gelatin capsules a day. They are very cheap. I get these ones on iherb.
                          21st Century Health Care, Gelatin, 600 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com

Comment

• Good Morning NK Gang! You have all been busy on the recipe front. If only I liked to cook.

FF Report

Wt. 228.6 New Low! (By .2 lbs)
                            BF% Down by .2 as well

FBS 109 (Still too high)

Ketostix - Trace

Well, this FF was not wholly successful due to user error. Mon and Wed were good FF days, Tuesday I had a binge and last night I wasn't feeling well. My husband made a beautiful dinner and made me a plate, so I ended up eating way too much un weighed protein and about 1800 cals. (All Primal) I cry "Uncle".

My body really craved protein during FF. I wonder if one could use a protein powder to hit min protein needs and then add fat to 90%. I may try that if I do it again.

New Macros Based on Dr Ede's experiment using Dr. Seyfried's cancer work, I have worked out the following plan.

1600 cals (10% below BMR)
                            60g protein (Based on goal wt. in kg x .8)
                            20g carb (gross)
                            142g Fat (80%-because that is what my body likes.)
                            Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-22-2013, 04:19 AM.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar.

Comment

• Originally posted by sigzephyr View Post
                                I take 3 gelatin capsules a day. They are very cheap. I get these ones on iherb.
                                21st Century Health Care, Gelatin, 600 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com
                                Thanks for the info but I would have to take 48 to = 1 tablespoon so maybe not so cheap. Anyway, one thing I’ve learn with PB – it’s better to take the real thing rather than processed supplements

(I’m not against supplements it just depends what for.

NB I used to take green tea extract in supplement form because although I drink green tea I do not like it stewed for the recommended 3min (I prefer in & out if you know what I mean). Then I realised that the amount of anti oxidants I was actually getting from the supplement was actually less than my 5 cups of weak tea)

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                                That is also why I take 1TBL of unflavored gelatin twice a day, for the collagen. That packs in around 7 grams of protein each TBL. but if it helps the saggy, loose skin I'll just have to work around the extra protein.
                                Just a thought, I assume you are taking 1tblsp of dry granules then mixing it with water, right?

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                                It's sure worth a try but it might take several months and the 7 grams of protein per Tablespoon can make LCHF difficult.
                                Re protein – not eating a piece of meat is a small price to pay for being HSIS (if only……)

Comment

Working...
                                X