Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
    I used this same line during The Great Bacon Grease Episode of 2012. (Our Girl Scout troop cooked up 3 pounds of bacon, and I begged for the grease to take home. One lady was surprised, because she thought I ate 'so healthy'. Probably because I mention vegetables! And cooking from scratch.) Now we get a good chuckle out of our different 'healthy' styles. While both of us, I am certain, are inwardly grimacing at the other's food.
    LOL!!! That's great!! I get that a lot... I get ugliness about being thin and doing low carb... Ummm, yeah, that's why I'm thin! HA!

And boy, I'd love to have a can of grease from 3lbs of bacon!!!!!!!!! I hope you got to take it home!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
      Thank you, I've done this 3 times in my adult life, once a gastric bypass, once a type of portion control and now Primal. Primal has been the easiest by far and a way of life I could easily live with. Trying to reach 120 (I'm pretty sure I'm medium boned) because I have so much loose skin. I figure if there is any residual fat left in the skin in won't be inclined to tighten up as well. That is also why I take 1TBL of unflavored gelatin twice a day, for the collagen. That packs in around 7 grams of protein each TBL. but if it helps the saggy, loose skin I'll just have to work around the extra protein.
      I haven't considered the fact that last time I was 135 my heaviest weight to that point had been 155. NOW, my heaviest was 216 - so taking into consideration the extra skin that needs to tighten - maybe you are closer to the correct goal weight than I am. I will assess things when I get there I guess. If I still look saggy and flabby at 135 I will definitely continue to work towards lean and mean! I am 52 though - so tight skin is not likely to happen! I'll be happy with looking good in tight jeans! I rarely wear anything shorter than capris so I'm not even working toward having nice summer shorts legs! and if I don't look good in a one peice bathing suit - I really don't care! Maybe I should look into the gelatin thing too!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I fry up 24 oz of bacon at a minimum weekly for our weekday breakfasts. I store ever last drop of it, but most of it gets used for making the rest of our breakfast (hashbrowns for DH and added to eggs for both). I have a peanut butter jar, a ghee jar, and a coconut oil jar full in my fridge right now... I'm trying to use up the grease in the pb jar so I can get rid of the yucky plastic thing and stick with glass. I don't cook with bacon grease much anymore though... not sure why.

What do you use your grease for? Specific recipes would be of great interest.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          The only thing I'm not really excited about in The Fat Fast Cookbook is it's use of tofu noodles... no interest in the tofu noodles, so the mac & cheese, fettuccini alfredo, etc, are out for me, but the rest of the stuff looks interesting and I'd be willing to try it. Not feeling it was a waste of $4.99, so that's a good thing. Still have to read the literature though. I have only gone through the recipes.
          I understand the noodles also come non-tofu. I been looking around here just to find the noodles, tofu or not. I may have to go to an Asian market.
          Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I understand the noodles also come without tofu. I been looking around here just to find the noodles, tofu or not. I may have to go to an Asian market.
            Probably your best bet. They have all the good stuff, and usually better price on coconut oil.
            The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• My most constant things to use bacon grease for is cooking my eggs in it, and making my greens gratin( I cook the onions and stems in it until they are soft). Oh, and frying boiled cauliflower in! Mmm, so good. And frying mushrooms. And zucchini 'sticks'. And...is there anything it is NOT good for?

Comment

• Nom nom nom!!! I too make a weeks worth of bacon every weekend. I have a wide mouth mason jar I use for the grease. I grew up in the restaurant industry, so I've always cooked it in the oven and poured the grease off the corner of the pan. I usually cook up 2-4 pans worth at a time. If anyone cares, it's nice to only cook your bacon about 3/4 of the way when storing it and finish it off per recipe or meal, that way it always tastes fresh. I also keep my sausage grease to cook in too!

I don't think I have any specific recipes, but I like to add a dollop in as one of the fats whenever I make gravy! I make LCHF gravy all the time and a little added bacon fat is a good thing in my book.

Comment

• Originally posted by epicuriousbynature View Post
                  Nom nom nom!!! I too make a weeks worth of bacon every weekend. I have a wide mouth mason jar I use for the grease. I grew up in the restaurant industry, so I've always cooked it in the oven and poured the grease off the corner of the pan. I usually cook up 2-4 pans worth at a time. If anyone cares, it's nice to only cook your bacon about 3/4 of the way when storing it and finish it off per recipe or meal, that way it always tastes fresh. I also keep my sausage grease to cook in too!

I don't think I have any specific recipes, but I like to add a dollop in as one of the fats whenever I make gravy! I make LCHF gravy all the time and a little added bacon fat is a good thing in my book.

I've cooked mine in the oven for years, but never thought about this 3/4 deal. That would certainly make for a FAST breakfast! How do you store it throughout the week? Just in a bag?
                  The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                    I've cooked mine in the oven for years, but never thought about this 3/4 deal. That would certainly make for a FAST breakfast! How do you store it throughout the week? Just in a bag?
                    I have those plastic ziplock containers with the blue lid. It's a rectangle and the bacon strips fit in there perfectly, lengthwise and I just pull our what I need for each meal. I grab a few pieces for work and throw them in the toaster over for a couple minutes to finish the cooking

Comment

• Would you tell us about the gravy you make?

Comment

I make gravy! I make LCHF gravy all the time and a little added bacon fat is a good thing in my book.
                        Can you tell me what you use in your gravy for the thickener? Obviously not wheat flour..........
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                          I haven't considered the fact that last time I was 135 my heaviest weight to that point had been 155. NOW, my heaviest was 216 - so taking into consideration the extra skin that needs to tighten - maybe you are closer to the correct goal weight than I am. I will assess things when I get there I guess. If I still look saggy and flabby at 135 I will definitely continue to work towards lean and mean! I am 52 though - so tight skin is not likely to happen! I'll be happy with looking good in tight jeans! I rarely wear anything shorter than capris so I'm not even working toward having nice summer shorts legs! and if I don't look good in a one peice bathing suit - I really don't care! Maybe I should look into the gelatin thing too!
                          It's sure worth a try but it might take several months and the 7 grams of protein per Tablespoon can make LCHF difficult.

Comment

• do you take the gelatin in capsule form or is there another way?
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

I am also interested in what you use as a thickener. I usually use tapioca starch and spread out over a recipe the carb content isn't bad, but I'm sure there's a better way.

How "primal" is Xantham Gum? I saw that endorced on the Fat Fast Cookbook site.
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Would you tell us about the gravy you make?
                                Absolutely!!! Granted, I don't measure anything, but it's super easy. Mostly I make brown mushroom gravy and chicken gravy. Those are two staples. I like to broil hamburger patties in the oven on a sheetpan, usually 6 at a time and use the drippings after they're cooked. Same thing with a pot roast or the cans of beef tips, I use the fat and broth in the can. With chicken, exact same thing, broiled and use the drippings, haven't used the water in the canned type though.

I use both Guar Gum or Xantham Gum, I don't have a preference, I have a bag of each and use which ever I grab first.
                                I also use several different types of Better Than Boullion, chicken, beef and mushroom are what I keep on hand all the time. I like a rich gravy, so I always add it.

Drippings in a skillet or saucepan (if your adding in mushrooms or onions, sautee them in the dripping with additional butter/grease
                                Add enough water and Boullion in the saucepan like you're making stock... (I NEVER measure, but the jar has directions) bring it to a full simmer. Once it's simmering, slowly whisk in the Xantham Gum or Guar Gum. Personally, I cut off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and just kind of let the air push out little bits at a time. Whisk whisk whisk on simmer and it'll start to thicken almost immediately.... if you add to much, add a little water. Add any spices you like, I always add salt, pepper and garlic. Be careful with the salt though... you won't need it if your drippings are seasoned from the meat or you are not a big salt craver. I literally crave salt, so I usually end up adding a little bit.

Once it cools down, it gets a bit gelatenous, but can easily be reheated. It won't get the exact smooth texture unless you heat it and whisk it again.

I make both ground beef and the canned beef this way... cook the meat, make the gravy in the same pan and top it with some goat cheese! Yummo!

Comment

Working...
                                X