Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, Pebbles67.

My goal is about 118: I am 5'2" and currently just over 130. I am not in a hurry to lose but don't want to have to lose these pounds after this time. This is about the fifth time: I have a classic yo you pattern. Yes, of course 20% of 1200 should be 240 calories (i.e. 60 gm. protein). Thank you for that. I'll make those adjustments.

There was an article on NPR recently about how a calorie isn't just a calorie: Calorie Counts: Fatally Flawed, Or Our Best Defense Against Pudge? : The Salt : NPR

Apparently there are many factors beyond protein, fat, or carb that influence the actually calories available to the body. I guess we all probably knew intuitively but now science is catching up.

Comment

• Demuralist gave you the 20% protein numbers. I agree with her.
      I was curious as to why you were eating 1200 cals, but that makes sense at your height.
      FYI By the formula in the first post your goal is 54kg, so that would be 54g protein, 27g carb and 108 g fat allowing you 1296 calories. So if you feel you need a little more, I think you could add a little.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Thank you. I read the reviews on Amazon and it seems to be a pretty decent book based on what others are saying. And for $4.99, can you really go wrong?
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• How many pages is this book? I am wondering if I should get the Kindle version or the pdf version and then print it.

Comment

• The book is 97 pages, so I won't be printing it out. They ask that you not copy the recipes beyond personal use, and at $4.99, the price is very reasonable. Ten cents per recipe, and they also go into the science and history behind the Fat Fast. Plus a section by Jimmy Moore.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              How many pages is this book? I am wondering if I should get the Kindle version or the pdf version and then print it.
              I bought the pdf version. Since it's a recipe book with pictures it's much easier to read and/or print out on the computer. It has 96 pages.

Comment

• 97 pages... hmmm... I could print that front to back and it would only be 49 pages.

I think I'll do that. My kindle is not color and I don't like cooking with it. I'd rather have the pages in a binder.

Comment

• or maybe I'll just print the recipes. I wish I could print from my Kindle...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    The book is 97 pages, so I won't be printing it out. They ask that you not copy the recipes beyond personal use, and at $4.99, the price is very reasonable. Ten cents per recipe, and they also go into the science and history behind the Fat Fast. Plus a section by Jimmy Moore.
                    You're probably right on the page numbers. I just quoted what I'd read in the blurb.

Comment

• Silly me... I can send a .pdf to my kindle. So, I'll buy the .pdf, print the recipes and send the .pdf to my kindle for reading the material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                        I found this BF% calculator which is supposedly used by the US Navy so I guess it ought to be fairly accurate.

Body Fat Percentage - Free Body Fat Percentage Calculator

Unfortunately when I put my measurements in (waist, hips, neck & height) I got 33.79% If only!!!
                        Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                        That figures I think my true B% is nearer 40.3% so it would be approx 7% out but on the low side
                        Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        I have a spreadsheet I found online that calculates BF% by Army standards. I checked my Army BF% and compared it to the Navy BF% posted above. There was nearly a 10% difference, with the Army being more favorable. The biggest difference I noticed is that the Army uses wrist and forearm measurements as well as hips and neck to determine FRAME (small, medium, large) and then calculates body fat based off of that. The forearm and wrist measurements are what determine the body frame size.

This one is accurate per the spreadsheet I have. This form is used by an ROTC program at the University of Delaware... Make sure you pick the correct form though. At the bottom of the page, there are tabs. Make sure you selected male or female as appopriate. Save it to your computer and you'll never have to google it again.
                        Ok when I first posted earlier I estimated my neck measurement & it was too small

so using the navy calculator (with correct measurements) my BF% is 31.66
                        using the army calculator that jenn has provided my BF% is 31.49

my body fat monitor (which pretty much matches the BF% machine at the local gym) shows 40.3%

All great fun but I wish I hadn't started this now cause I now want a DEX scan (the cost of 3mths worth of blood ketone strips pales into insignificance at this point) wheras before I was happy just to see the number going down

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                          Ok when I first posted earlier I estimated my neck measurement & it was too small

so using the navy calculator (with correct measurements) my BF% is 31.66
                          using the army calculator that jenn has provided my BF% is 31.49

my body fat monitor (which pretty much matches the BF% machine at the local gym) shows 40.3%

All great fun but I wish I hadn't started this now cause I now want a DEX scan (the cost of 3mths worth of blood ketone strips pales into insignificance at this point) wheras before I was happy just to see the number going down
                          w0rd!!

I so want a DEXA scan!! (Because I don't like "estimation"... I like hard proven facts!)

Comment

• Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
                            I'm a little late with my response, but I'm also measuring with the blood ketone monitor. You're getting some GREAT numbers compared to what I have. I've found the biggest difference so far is keeping my fat higher than my protein and keeping my protein under about 80. I haven't experimented yet with lowering the protein significantly but have raised my fat without effecting my carbs much (under 22g) and my numbers are going up. I'm testing first thing in the morning...what about you? Feel free to PM me. This is working for me so I'm just trying to fine tune. 3.2 is AWESOME! The highest I've been is 1.3 this morning when I measured after a run.

Megan
                            Hello again:

I've been testing at different times. 8:00 am, 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm. I'll chart these 3 over time and see if there is a pattern. More cost effective than testing multiple times per day.

My levels kept dropping through Monday (day 24 on the HFLC diet) when they bottomed out at 0.4! And that was with no change in my diet from the previous 2.2+ readings. I did drop my protein levels and increase my fat since Monday, and the levels have gone back up: 1.7 on Tuesday, and 3.0 yesterday. That was, in my mind, an unexpected and unexplained drop.

Comment

• why is it that when i do multiple quotes in a post, having saved the post the multiple quotes are still ticked. This is p***** me off as I have to go back and find them all and cancel the ticks. There must be an easier way!

(sorry vent over but if anyone has the answer i would love to know)

Comment

• Originally posted by TooSteep View Post
                                Hello again:

I've been testing at different times. 8:00 am, 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm. I'll chart these 3 over time and see if there is a pattern. More cost effective than testing multiple times per day.

My levels kept dropping through Monday (day 24 on the HFLC diet) when they bottomed out at 0.4! And that was with no change in my diet from the previous 2.2+ readings. I did drop my protein levels and increase my fat since Monday, and the levels have gone back up: 1.7 on Tuesday, and 3.0 yesterday. That was, in my mind, an unexpected and unexplained drop.
                                your experiment sounds interesting. Can I ask what your protein grams & fat % was when your levels went back up. These numbers seem to be the key

Comment

Working...
                                X