Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
    The male one is the same as the one used by the army and is off by as much as 8-10%. In other words it is absolutely useless. Perhaps the female version is better. To give you my real life example, the day before leaving for basic training I had my body fat measured two ways by a doctor - One was something like 16.4% the other was 17.2% (electronic and callipers). The next day I had it calculated by the Army using the method on the site you linked. It was found to be 25.8%. The method is used because it is quick, easy, and anyone with a tape measure can do it. Accuracy is secondary.
    That figures I think my true B% is nearer 40.3% so it would be approx 7% out but on the low side

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
      Last night, eating was a bust. I'm going through some issues and for the first time in my life I am not reaching for food. The problem is, I do not want to eat so I am finding that I have to force myself to eat. Last night was a good example of this. My husband and I went to a wings place for dinner and I typically order a salad from there with some grilled chicken. He was so concerned about me not having an appetite that he asked me not to eat the salad. So I got these potato skins with pulled pork to make him happy and I ate those and didn't feel too bad this morning. I also ate a few chicken wings and when I woke up, my asthma was bothering me a bit. I'm making myself eat right now. I just really have no appetite whatsoever and nothing even remotely sounds appetizing.
      I hope you're feeling better soon.

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
      I found this BF% calculator which is supposedly used by the US Navy so I guess it ought to be fairly accurate.

Body Fat Percentage - Free Body Fat Percentage Calculator

Unfortunately when I put my measurements in (waist, hips, neck & height) I got 33.79% If only!!!
      Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      The male one is the same as the one used by the army and is off by as much as 8-10%. In other words it is absolutely useless. Perhaps the female version is better. To give you my real life example, the day before leaving for basic training I had my body fat measured two ways by a doctor - One was something like 16.4% the other was 17.2% (electronic and callipers). The next day I had it calculated by the Army using the method on the site you linked. It was found to be 25.8%. The method is used because it is quick, easy, and anyone with a tape measure can do it. Accuracy is secondary.
      Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
      That figures I think my true B% is nearer 40.3% so it would be approx 7% out but on the low side

I have a spreadsheet I found online that calculates BF% by Army standards. I checked my Army BF% and compared it to the Navy BF% posted above. There was nearly a 10% difference, with the Army being more favorable. The biggest difference I noticed is that the Army uses wrist and forearm measurements as well as hips and neck to determine FRAME (small, medium, large) and then calculates body fat based off of that. The forearm and wrist measurements are what determine the body frame size.

This one is accurate per the spreadsheet I have. This form is used by an ROTC program at the University of Delaware... Make sure you pick the correct form though. At the bottom of the page, there are tabs. Make sure you selected male or female as appopriate. Save it to your computer and you'll never have to google it again.
      Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I figured I'd post something since I said hello a few days ago. I am tracking on MFP, have started to lose a little bit but mostly am feeling a bit more energy and FEELING leaner (though not looking leaner and my pants still fit the same). So what is that, feeling leaner? I really don't get it; maybe it is less bloating or something like that. I don't think I have any less fat but I feel like I do, which is almost as good.

I have had trouble hitting the macros and wonder if I am unrealistic. I have a 1200 cal day, with 5% carbs 15 Gm (always slightly over), 20% protein 75 Gm (sometimes under and sometimes over) and 75% fat 93 gm. I think it might be too much protein. I have hit the fat a couple of days and have been over on calories a couple of times. I don't exercise enough but I am working on that. I just need some time to walk (and decent weather).

If anyone has suggestions that would be great. I am eating eggs, bacon, chicken, tuna and lots of fats: avocado, olives, clarified butter, coconut milk in my decaf. I had some wonderful soft cheese twice but I really cannot eat dairy foods; I found out once again that it isn't a good idea for me.

So I am in, working away at this and waiting for that wonderful feeling of being in ketosis that I remember from my long ago Atkins days.

Love reading your posts! Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          FF Report
          Wt. 230.2 -1.8
          BS 110, yesterday 106. Elevated due to late exercise?
          So, was that day 3 of 3 or day 2 of 3?

Comment

• I think your protein is too high. for 1200 calories, 20% would be 240 (right? my math in regards to how percentages are done is not great) which would be 60g of protein. The carbs are right, but 75% of 1200 is (I think) 900 calories and should be then 100 grams of fat.

So that would be
            Calories =1200
            Carbs = 15g
            Fat =100g
            Protein = 60g

Someone please check my math.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by mks8500 View Post
              So, was that day 3 of 3 or day 2 of 3?
              Day 3, but I am doing five because I messed up on Day 2. So really, it was Day 1.
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• pamola10, What is your goal weight?
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I bought the Fat Fast Cookbook last night(pdf) and looked through it. Some great ideas, both for doing the FatFast, and for adding a chunk of fat to a EMF plan. Interesting options for some comfort food like items, also, mac and cheese and chocolate pudding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    I bought the Fat Fast Cookbook last night(pdf) and looked through it. Some great ideas, both for doing the FatFast, and for adding a chunk of fat to a EMF plan. Interesting options for some comfort food like items, also, mac and cheese and chocolate pudding.
                    Chocolate pudding? What is in this chocolate pudding?
                    Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
                      Well done on your amazing weight loss. Have you noticed any positive results taking the gelatin yet?
                      Yes, actually I have. My nails seem to grow faster and are stronger and my hair seems healthier too. Still, my main reason for taking it is to improve my "loose, saggy skin". I feel that it, also, has tightened up some.

Comment

I bought the Fat Fast Cookbook last night(pdf) and looked through it. Some great ideas, both for doing the FatFast, and for adding a chunk of fat to a EMF plan. Interesting options for some comfort food like items, also, mac and cheese and chocolate pudding.
                        I bought it yesterday too. I didn't have time for anything but a quick look and I was impressed.

Comment

• Reading up on Bile Salts. If you do not have your gallbladder, you might consider adding them. Read up if you are interested! I'm in!
                          37 yof
                          5'9

Macros:
                          70% fat
                          20% protein
                          10% net carbs
                          1300-1500 calories

SW:180ish
                          CW:171
                          GW:155

Comment

Please refresh my memory of where this is located...
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Oh please post the mac and cheese!
                              My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                                Please refresh my memory of where this is located...
                                Get "Carb Smart" at CarbSmart® Free Low Carb Magazine: Low Carb Foods, Sugar Free, & Diabetic Foods ? Your trusted guide to the low carb lifestyle

Comment

Working...
                                X