Primal cure for alcohol addiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputina
    Yep, I'm a happy drinker. I wish I wasn't such a drinker, because I know it's horrible for my health, but am I depressed? Nope. You, Derpamix, belong to a certain group of people who always have to have an answer for everything. You're right about everything, aren't you? You've experienced everything, haven't you? Go suck an egg
    You are not a special snowflake. Cant stop drinking beer? Dont buy the beer. Drink too much at the bar? Dont go to the bar. Cant do that then you have no one or nothing to blame but yourself. There is nothing nutritional you are getting from beer that you are missing in your diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
      Sorry, but you do not have a clue. Reaching out to alcohol several times does not give you even the slightest glimpse into the world of an alcoholic.
      You know nothing about me and what I've been through. I didn't become addicted to alcohol because I stopped myself. I have been through enough things that would spiral me in a never ending cycle of self-destruction had I let it. Are we really so weak?

Knifegill is a good example of what I'm talking about. His strength to overcome addictions should be testament to our willpower. Everyone is capable of it.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Actually I did. What makes you drink? Zach asked this question already, but it was poorly received because it wasn't "Oh, I'm sorry, poor thing!" or "I understand, it must be so tough on you" and similar statements in this vein. But, it's actually a lot more empathetic than those statements because he and myself genuinely want to understand and make you really think about it from a personal perspective.

If not something habitual, because it's what you're used to, and what makes you feel good, what else could it be? Do you unknowingly pick up a beer and just start drinking?
        Make America Great Again

Comment

I haven't read through all of this thread, so I don't know if this has been said, but...

The only cure for alcoholism is yourself. Developing skills of self-control, discipline, etc. It's very challenging but it must come from within you... don't rely on your nutritional intake to do it for you. I suggest meditation. Writing. Self-reflection. Relaxing and thinking about your life, who you are, where you want to go, what you want to do. Inspire yourself. Dedicate yourself.

It's about dedication. Be strong and you can do it all by yourself.
          this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
            You are not a special snowflake. Cant stop drinking beer? Dont buy the beer. Drink too much at the bar? Dont go to the bar. Cant do that then you have no one or nothing to blame but yourself. There is nothing nutritional you are getting from beer that you are missing in your diet.
            Rough crowd.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

~H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
              Rough crowd.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

~H. L. Mencken
              Can you please tell me what is wrong about that statement?

Comment

Dr. Natasha Cambel Mcbride (GAPS) thinks addiction is due to haywire gut flora, which messes up the brain gut axis. Many of the advantageous flora love sugar too, and can cause additional alcohol cravings.

My issue was binge drinking 1-2x/ week. I was primal 1 yr and now I have been primal version of GAPS for 14 months ( eat everything that is GAPS legal, and omit beans because of primal). In that time I have stopped binge drinking. I am able to have a glass of wine with dinner and be totally fine. I also began a serious daily meditation practice and found a teacher that I see in a group setting weekly.

I would say the combination of those things have led me to where I am now, and it is a slow process with many missteps. I had to change and sometimes end relationships, as well as adjust long standing patterns and understandings in my marriage. There were many times where it was not easy.

I believe in you!
                Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

Great, you're taking supplements and even tryptophan to help cure your alcoholism. Do you know the dangers behind tryptophan?

bdilla's post is pretty insightful, I hope you read it over.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

Stay in denial, Rasputina.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      Stay in denial, Rasputina.
                      Do I need to report you and Derpamix for harassment, or are you going to leave me alone?

Comment

Isn't there an ignore button somewhere so you can filter out people you don't want to hear from? I fail to understand the thrill in the rampant goading, over-reaction, piling on, button pushing, enabling button-pushing, and so forth. Move along folks.

Comment

Howdy all,
                          I am like Rasputina in that I love beer. Good tasting beer! Micro brews by the growler! But in my own life at 52 and recently retired from a stressful job; I've reached a point where I can take one of two paths (Okay I'm sure there are trails in between)!

Path 1=I can continue to drink too much, not all the time, but buzzed several days a week, hammered several times a month. I can continue to slowly increase my weight over the rest of my life and not be happy with myself in general.

Path 2=I can lay off the sauce, loose weight, sleep better at night, have a better relationship with my wife, feel better about myself.

I've chosen Path 2, for me! Yup because it's my choice, the Primal lifestyle is the kickstart I needed in my life. We can all do what we want in life and I've decided that I really need a change! Most of my friends drink heavily, we all do when we get together! One buddy says, "hey Bro we're functioning alcoholics." Another said, as he raised his double jack and coke "This is all we have left in life amigo!" My friends! I love them but I'm taking a different path now, for how long? I hope a long time! I'll still bbq, hunt/fish, play horse shoes, and ride motorcycles with my buddies! They don't care if I don't drink, and i don't care if they do.

I hope it works out, time will tell, i've only been doing this for two weeks lol! I have lost 13 pounds and sleep better and feel better! I went with a few buddies for a "drink' the other night. Here's what you order Rojo "a club soda with lime" then kick it with your friends. It's still fun just a little different angle, Peace....5x

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina
                            why did you post, then, lol?
                            I posted b/c I am getting increasingly annoyed by the tendency for so many threads recently to devolve into name calling.

I bothered to read the thread b/c this is something I struggle with in a mild way (meaning I drink more than I think is good for me, though not enough to have serious immediate health or relationship impacts). I also have a relative with a significant alcohol binge issues.

Comment

Look into the NADA protocol and The Mood Cure.

Comment

I don't think the OP really wants help. Some have offered legitimate stories and advice only to me met with contempt. I am an alcoholic. I drink lots of whiskey. Probably like 3-5 fifths a week. Even in my drunkenness I know I'm the only one and the only thing that can stop it. If you really want to stop then quit talking about it and do it. Otherwise bottoms up mofo.

Comment

Working...
                                X