X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here ya go. Here is an article about this stuff:

Whole Health Source: When Friedewald Attacks

Comment

With that formula, my LDL level is 111. I guess that's better?

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Why?

I believe lowest risk of all-cause mortality is a total cholesterol in the 200-240 range. Below 180 starts becoming a health risk.

Your total cholesterol number isn't correct, anyway. Your trigs are too low, so your LDL cholesterol isn't calculated correctly. It's not a direct LDL measurement, it's almost certainly an estimate based on the Friedewald formula for LDL calculation. As you can see, when trigs are low, the number is wildly inaccurate. This guy's calculation (posted above) was off by over 45 points!

In short, you do not know your total cholesterol. Your LDL is a calculation, likely off by about 20-30%, which will skew your totals horribly. It's all wrong.

Get a direct LDL measurement, an LDL particle test and a C-reactive protein test. Add this info to your HDL and trig numbers and you'll have a better feel for your health.
        What rubbish. The TC is a direct measurement. It is only the LDL that is calculated by an approximation. You really shouldn't display your ignorance so confidently
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          No no no choco....

LDL is calculated.

TC, HDL and Trigs are measured.
          I'm pretty sure you can get your LDL measured with the deeper bloodwork analysis.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            I'm pretty sure you can get your LDL measured with the deeper bloodwork analysis.
            Of course you can....but then the formula would be HDL+LDL= TC. Pretty freaking easy then . In fact you don't even need that formula cause you always have the TC and HDL measured anyhow! Choco just made a mistake in the beginning of this whole thing starting with his first post. No big deal. But these are the facts.

Point is the LDL is usually calculated on standard cholesterol tests via the formulas we have been discussing. If you directly measure the LDL there is no reason to bother with such extrapolations right?
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I think he was trying to say that TC measurements were inaccurate, so it would be better to measure exact LDL count?
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
              X