No announcement yet.

Breast milk supply vs demand, formula, solid food---for 6-month old baby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and remember that what your wife can pump is not an indication of supply as I said babies are more efficient at getting it out.

Comment

My wife tried feeding from the breast, but our daughter just hasn't taken to it. My wife and daughter could try again, but it never worked in the past. Even if it works, my wife would still pump since she works and there are plenty of times where having milk by bottle is practically necessary.

FWIW, my wife does have a hospital-grade pump provided by our insurance.

I wouldn't say that my wife is underproducing although it would make my wife feel good if she could produce more. I of course understand all of the ideals about babies subsisting almost exclusively on breast milk a long time, avoiding formula, feeding right from the breast rather than via pump, etc., but mostly I just want to do what I can to make things easier on my wife, and I do hope to avoid putting any sort of idealistic principles ahead of that goal.

I'm also sort of wondering if plain full-fat organic yogurt, perhaps goat's yogurt, is a possible addition to our daughter's diet.

Comment

I wouldn't do that no.
        What about the suggestion of getting donated milk?
        It is very safe, the mothers who donate will get whatever blood tests you need to show they don't have anything. That would def take the strain off.
        How many times a day is she pumping now.
        Honestly your baby doesn't need other food just yet.

I also think its worth a shot to get a lactation consultant to help you try to attach your baby, you never know its very likely to work, and that will also make it less stressful.

Comment

also are you feeding your baby on demand rather than to a schedule?
          This is also important, they know when they are hungry.

Comment

This site may be helpful if your wife would like to try the breast again: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/
            Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

While i think trying to get as much nutrition from breast milk as possible is a great idea and also to try breast feeding again. I dont think its the end of the world if your baby eats a bit of foods as well. There is no harm in giving him a bit of dairy and see how he responds. Along with other safe foods. Im not sure about coconut milk, it might have an allergy potential and is nothing like breast milk besides the fatty acid content but if it proves safe then there is no harm in a bit of that as well. Make sure to get it without and additives or gums.

No matter what happens, always breast feed as long as possible but t sounds like you already know that.

Comment

ALso if you really think you must give formula, there are several recipes in the Nourishing Traditions book.
                Stay as far away from commercial formulas as possible.
                Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats: Sally Fallon, Mary Enig: 9780967089737: Amazon.com: Books
                The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care: Sally Fallon Morell, Thomas S. Cowan: 9780982338315: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

oopps the second one is not out yet, but might be a helpful addition to your library. The first one has the formula recipes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post

Breastmilk is designed to be the sole food of human infants for up to 8 years.
                    Sorry Zoes, but I have found this in the article
                    "The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years, with a maximum of 7.0 years."

I can't find where it states that breastmilk is designed to be the sole food for up to eight years.
                    I personnally think that breast is best for babies, however as a sole food until the age of 8 ????? Not so sure about that one - so that is what I will beg to differ on.
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

There is no way a child would willingly drink only breast milk until 3-4, let alone 8. My son got bored of the boob around 16 months and wanted our foods. He stopped deinking it entirely on his own at 18 months. Kids strong, lean, smart and hasnt been sick once this winter "knocks on wood".

Im not saying it would be bad to drink breast milk that late in life but i really think you should follow the childs lead.

Comment

No way willing???
                        Zach, you cannot make a child breastfeed.
                        My eldest willingly breastfed until 3 years 3 months. Weaning was easy, we talked about it, and told him we would stop now, he was ok with that.

Zach what makes you think that anyone long term breastfeeding makes a child do it? We DO follow their lead its why we let them stop when they are OK with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                          Make sure wife is eating enough, and try pumping for longer periods more frequently. She could also try some lactation supplements like fennel essential oils, fenugreek, more milk plus, and mother's milk tea. Just tossing some ideas out there. Worse comes to worst, you can look up to see if there is a local chapter of eats on feets.
                          Yes, this! These supplements work really well. I used more milk plus and mother's milk tea during periods I worried about my supply. but really the human body is amazing and her supply will increase with demand. So she may need to pump more frequently or if she can use what is called a supplemental nursing system the baby can "nurse" from her to stimulate milk production while getting the milk from the sns. Like this. Supplemental Nursing System

askdrsears.com should have a couple of article about using one. I know he talked about it in The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.

On the extended nursing thing. I read somewhere a few years ago that most mammals wean at 5 times birth weight. We practiced child led weaning until the point where I really thought she needed to be done because of her age. She was just shy of 5 times birth weight. I believe she would have made it to 5x's had I let her continue. She will also tell you she should have been allowed to nurse longer that she was not ready to stop.

I don't think I would offer cow or coconut milk at this age but perhaps some goat or sheep's milk might be okay if needed and there is no donor milk available in your area.
                          Last edited by Primal123; 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Just as a comparison, I tried to wean my second son at 18 months, before he was able to understand and talk through it with him, it was a night mare and stressful for us both, and I ended up with mastitis. That was not fair on him at all. I really regret weaning him now. I tried to offer it to him many times after that, but he was not interested, so I really ruined that part of our relationship.

Comment

Ayla did you feed your son anything other than breast milk ????
                              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Not until after 1 no. But he still fed many times a day.
                                I am thinking Zoe means sole, as in no formula or other milks. I am certain she wouldn't mean no food up until 8.

Comment

Working...
                                X