1 month since going Primal and....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Buddylee,

I think they already answered, but if it helps, I will say it again: add more fat If you don't throw in some extra fats to your diet you'll never train your metabolism to burn them, instead it will burn proteins to make up for the missing sugars.

I am 5'10", 61.7Kg, 10.3% fat, and I eat 140 grams of fat per day, 120g of proteins and 40-50g of carbs (sugars and starches) evenly distributed during the day so to avoid insulin spikes. I keep on a 2000Kcals diet, every day (no matter if I workout or not). I also am a decent cook, so I vary alot from day to day, I can go two months without eating the same recipe twice and I think this is the best part of being primal: enjoy life in all its aspects.

I would also suggest you to skip breakfast. Not so much the snack, that's fine, but the breakfast is usually not important, contrary to what we have been taught. I believe, and there are many here, that breakfast is the least important meal of the day, you actually could make it to noon without eating, and thrown in a 45 minutes intense workout before lunch without feeling it. The reason behind it is that during the night you burn fats, mostly. Chances are you are burning YOUR own fats because you already used all those you ate at dinner. Also, you are recovering from the previous day and getting ready for the one to come, so your muscles and your liver are being refilled with glycogen. In my opinion, the worst thing you could do at breakfast is eating sugars (for example... grapefruit?). Have a green tea instead, or a coffee: it is just a phycological need you have.

Speaking about ways to add fat, pay attention not to add bad ones, check the post about the Omega3:Omega6 ratio, the difference between saturated, mono/polyunsaturated and what they mean for your health, etc.
    Ideally, you could eat fattier meat (I am an offal lover), fat fish (salmon, eel), add olive or flax oil onto your broccolis, and of course my favorite: eat macadamias for your snack (I forgot the taste of bread, macadamias make for a great phycological replacement to bread): I do my calculations based on the recipes I am going to eat during the day: the fats I miss are covered by fatty nuts. Back to fattier meat... just to be sure I am not misunderstood, I mean real meat. Not sausages, salami, etc. In short, don't go for the chicken breast, go for the legs (moreover, they are cheaper).
    You mention butter. I love butter and definitely fry my eggs with it, but I don't forget it's very inflammatory. I recommend alternating butter and ghee. Check the coconut milk, for making curries.

Cheers!
    Primal Alex

Comment

thanks Alex. interesting points

Comment

I would say cut the muffin (even if it's paleo, it's a lot of nuts, that), increase calories to 1800-2000.

And from there: are you getting enough movement and lifting heavy things? are you getting enough sleep?

Those have a major impact on weight loss/gain.

Comment

hopefully I should start to see results in the next couple weeks. thanks for the responses

Comment

Thanks Alex , I have upped my cal to 2000 a day and have added more coconut oil and fattier meats. I definatly do not need a snack at all. I feel great so we will see how it goes. I may try and skip breakfast but then I would really have a hard time making 1600 cal a day

Comment

Originally posted by buddylee13 View Post
              Thanks Alex , I have upped my cal to 2000 a day and have added more coconut oil and fattier meats. I definatly do not need a snack at all. I feel great so we will see how it goes. I may try and skip breakfast but then I would really have a hard time making 1600 cal a day
              Looking forward to reading about your progression.

I agree, with just two main meals sometimes it is hard, that's why I have a spreadsheet with ingredients and check what I am going to eat. I make up for the missing calories/fats with some macadamias here and there, one yogurt (homemade eh?) or blueberries if the carbs-count is really really low for the day. I may even drink my tea with honey or maple syrup instead of stevia, 2 grams of it is not a poison. I just try not to concentrate all the sugars in one meal: the only thing I am totally sure about food science is that THIS is unproductive.

Skipping the breakfast is not mandatory, it was just a suggestion. I myself am still experimenting a lot. They say one size doesn't fit all, even if the current size fits me, I'm checking if I find one that fits even better.
              Intermittent Fasting and in general the fasted workout, instead, are something you should try: yesterday I had my routine at 6pm after having breakfast (200 grams of smoked salmon + 10g of oil of olive) and nothing else throughout the day. I did slowly executed pullups over and over for 40 minutes with all possible grips. No bananas, no gat0rade, just my ketones.

Dinner was a huge red curry lamb wok, with (in order of appearance) coconut oil, onions, dried ginger, black cumin, finely cut bell pepper, lamb fillet cut in dices - let it sauté - coconut milk, black pepper and of course yellow curry powder, sweet pepper red pigment and some hot paprika. One square of 90% dark chocolate as a threat for the fasting day. I did make 1700 calories, but that was the fasting day. Today I am back to 2000.

Comment

I will cut down on the muffins to a couple times a week and increase my calories and see how that works. Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by primal_alex View Post
                  Looking forward to reading about your progression.

I agree, with just two main meals sometimes it is hard, that's why I have a spreadsheet with ingredients and check what I am going to eat. I make up for the missing calories/fats with some macadamias here and there, one yogurt (homemade eh?) or blueberries if the carbs-count is really really low for the day. I may even drink my tea with honey or maple syrup instead of stevia, 2 grams of it is not a poison. I just try not to concentrate all the sugars in one meal: the only thing I am totally sure about food science is that THIS is unproductive.

Skipping the breakfast is not mandatory, it was just a suggestion. I myself am still experimenting a lot. They say one size doesn't fit all, even if the current size fits me, I'm checking if I find one that fits even better.
                  Intermittent Fasting and in general the fasted workout, instead, are something you should try: yesterday I had my routine at 6pm after having breakfast (200 grams of smoked salmon + 10g of oil of olive) and nothing else throughout the day. I did slowly executed pullups over and over for 40 minutes with all possible grips. No bananas, no gat0rade, just my ketones.

Dinner was a huge red curry lamb wok, with (in order of appearance) coconut oil, onions, dried ginger, black cumin, finely cut bell pepper, lamb fillet cut in dices - let it sauté - coconut milk, black pepper and of course yellow curry powder, sweet pepper red pigment and some hot paprika. One square of 90% dark chocolate as a threat for the fasting day. I did make 1700 calories, but that was the fasting day. Today I am back to 2000.
                  Alex - I am also trying to keep my fats high at 112g (80%),(only eat chicken/fish/eggs) sometimes difficult to keep it high without adding so cheese - do you eat cheese/dairy at all?? Actually trying to avoid dairy....
                  Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
                  SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
                  CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
                  GW: 130lbs

Comment

Working...
                  X