Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming "fat adapted".

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If we accept the premise that the body recognizes a low-carb state and immediately uses it to produce its own carbs then consider this: The Daily Lipid: We Really Can Make Glucose From Fatty Acids After All! O Textbook, How Thy Biochemistry Hast Deceived Me!

    If the body really CAN turn fat into glucose for fuel, then it might slip into that mode and not necessarily go about catabolizing protein. Then, I'd say that this still counts as a state of fat burning. You're still eliminating excess fat from your body and using it as your primary driver of metabolic processes.

    However, even if this is not the case, I'd think that, again, the body being smart as it is, knows the difference in caloric density of the various macronutrients. So, we have, "glycogen is low, must replenish or conserve" and the body says "I can have 4 calories of energy per gram of protein converted to glucose or 7.5 calories per gram of fat burned" (a few calories are lost from fat in the burning process). Still, 4 < 7.5. The body knows that it is more efficient to utilize fat than protein and saves protein catabolism for only the most dire of circumstances. Our body is smart. It knows how to regulate itself in the most efficient matters if we just let it and stop mucking with the controls all the time.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      Humans are fat burning beast by default and everybody are perfectly adapted to it already. Most of the day and night you burn fat and some glucose, and occasionally ketone bodies, thats how human physiology works...
      Thats exactly what im getting at. Im trying to figure out if there is any credibility at all to saying that eating more fat and less carbs has any effect on the ratio of fuels used.

      Comment


      • #18
        @ Zach
        Low carb / ketotenic diets are show time and time again to be beneficial to the body...instead of trying to bait and troll people here do some basic research first please.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
          If we accept the premise that the body recognizes a low-carb state and immediately uses it to produce its own carbs then consider this: The Daily Lipid: We Really Can Make Glucose From Fatty Acids After All! O Textbook, How Thy Biochemistry Hast Deceived Me!
          While this is interesting, it would seem that it rarely happens unless you are eating close to zero carbs and are in a calorie deficit or on an extended fast. So that would make sense that the only way the body reacts differently to how it handles its fuel is during these times.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Zach View Post
            While this is interesting, it would seem that it rarely happens unless you are eating close to zero carbs and are in a calorie deficit or on an extended fast. So that would make sense that the only way the body reacts differently to how it handles its fuel is during these times.
            Heh, well it's still a legitimate way to burn fat and in the right circumstances for it to occur, it can be pretty efficient. Still, I think that the majority of the time it's simply a question of the body saying "4 < 7.5, efficiency rules, go for fat." At least it is when your glycogen is low.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
              @ Zach
              Low carb / ketotenic diets are show time and time again to be beneficial to the body...instead of trying to bait and troll people here do some basic research first please.
              No they really havent.

              Im genuinely questioning these claims of the body using one fuel over another in response to a shift in macro intake. If people have good info like Drumroll just posted i will gladly read it. So far it seems that these terms a merely catch phrases.

              Also why dont you post some research related to my question or stop whining.

              Comment


              • #22
                Try google scholar there are tonne of them out there. From a 20s search
                Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass
                Nutrition Journal | Full text | Spanish Ketogenic Mediterranean diet: a healthy cardiovascular diet for weight loss
                Ketogenic diet for treatment of epilepsy
                Benefits of ketogenic diets
                Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Brain Metabolism in Epilepsy : Clinical Nuclear Medicine

                There are also improved lipoprotein numbers etc

                Please do some research and don't base your info on that clown you were promoting when you first logged on here
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Zach View Post
                  No they really havent.

                  Im genuinely questioning these claims of the body using one fuel over another in response to a shift in macro intake. If people have good info like Drumroll just posted i will gladly read it. So far it seems that these terms a merely catch phrases.

                  Also why dont you post some research related to my question or stop whining.
                  Here is an idea.
                  How about you do your own research.
                  Search the forums.
                  Its not too difficult to do

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    No they really havent.

                    Im genuinely questioning these claims of the body using one fuel over another in response to a shift in macro intake. If people have good info like Drumroll just posted i will gladly read it. So far it seems that these terms a merely catch phrases.

                    Also why dont you post some research related to my question or stop whining.
                    FYI, just some food for thought:

                    Nora Gedgaudas &mdash; The 'Holy Grail' of Primal Health: Benefits of a Fat-Based Caloric Intake for Body and Brain on Vimeo

                    "Primal mind: nutrition & mental health&mdash;improving the way you feel & function & cultivating an ageless mind" by Nora Gedgaudas on Vimeo

                    Eugene Fine, M.D.—Dietary Insulin Inhibition as a Metabolic Therapy in Advanced Cancer (AHS12)
                    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                      This thread has nothing to do with the merits or lack there of of a ketogenic diet.

                      Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                      Here is an idea.
                      How about you do your own research.
                      Search the forums.
                      Its not too difficult to do
                      How about no. Heres an idea for you, turn off your computer if you dont like my posts.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Dancing+Banana+Gif.gif
                        Last edited by Zach; 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                          Humans are fat burning beast by default and everybody are perfectly adapted to it already. Most of the day and night you burn fat and some glucose, and occasionally ketone bodies, thats how human physiology works...
                          Only if you haven't broken your metabolism by years of abuse. If you have broken it, then you may not be able to access your fat stores. Rather you'll crash. And need carbs to recover. Then the only time you'll burn fat is when you're sleeping
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

                          Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            You are just looking for drama.
                            You could have just searched for yourself and not started this thread.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by peril View Post
                              Only if you haven't broken your metabolism by years of abuse. If you have broken it, then you may not be able to access your fat stores. Rather you'll crash. And need carbs to recover. Then the only time you'll burn fat is when you're sleeping
                              Oh really? How long till this "crash" is going to happen for me then?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                LOL.really??? So now you are saying if you are fat adapted you are NOT ketogenic....or is that what you numpty first post mentor claims?
                                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X