Planning to eat dessert, would like some advice on damage control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desertcreature View Post
    I think to fast on days I dive might not be a good idea since I'm not sure how my body would behave (however 3 of the 4 dive trips are in the morning, so I'll play it by ear). And to totally skip breakfast on our "at sea" days might possibly make me stir crazy. But I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind for the duration of the cruise, especially if I feel lethargic in the morning after that creme brule. Thanks everyone!
    Personally, and this is totally just MY experience, not intended as advice or instructions, just as a statement of my personal n=1, I hate doing intense physical activity with food inside of me. It makes me feel sluggish and having it moving around in there while I'm exerting intense effort often makes me feel sick or at least uncomfortable. I regularly work out, hike, jog, ect. in a fasted state and feel great doing it!

And if you save all of your calories until your evening meal, you can eat EVERYTHING on your plate, get that salad, soup, and/or appetizer and not worry about going over your caloric allotment.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

One of the cruise lines is known for their flourless chocolate cake (I think it's Carnival, though I think Royal Caribbean has a similar dish), that would definitely be on my list. I wasn't primal on our last cruise, but have been eating low carb/sugar for a number of years out of necessity to control my blood sugar, and I was able to enjoy myself without excessive worry. If I've eaten a good dinner (meat and veg, limited or no starch) I can usually handle part of a dessert without riding the blood sugar rollercoaster. I usually opted to share with my husband, who doesn't have a huge sweet tooth, so it worked out for both of us. I never had trouble finding a dinner choice that didn't involve pasta or excessive carbs, and I was surprised to see naturally gluten free desserts on the menu regularly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by meeshar View Post
        One of the cruise lines is known for their flourless chocolate cake (I think it's Carnival, though I think Royal Caribbean has a similar dish), that would definitely be on my list.
        I was reviewing menus online earlier today (I'm sailing on Norwegian) and I did see a "Chocolate Napoleon" served in Le Bistro, one of their restaurants with a cover charge. It is a flourless cake with a hazelnut crunch and chocolate hazelnut cream. I have already planned to eat there one night because their entrees includes both bouillabaisse and duck, and their dessert cheese plate looks very nice. I should probably fast that particular day...
        "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

If you really want to get your money's worth on the cruise, why waste it on cheap desserts? Eat more steak or have cheese...
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I hear you, but just be prepared to go thru sugar detox again when you get home. Also, be prepared for the sweets to not be as awesome as you remember them.

And please, just EAT your meals. Eat as clean as possible. Don't starve yourself in anticipation of sweets. If you are a sugar addict, going to bet you have experience with that cycle. Eat your clean primal meals, maybe cut back on fruit, carbs and then enjoy the dessert that you want. If it isn't good, don't eat it.

Be prepared to bloat, and be cranky.

But I understand wanting to indulge on a vacation. Just be prepared to pay the price.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

And I can tell you... from 35 years of dealing with sugar addiction.... don't fast to make up for eating sweets. Just et normlly, a little lighter. All it does is set up "it's OK I can allot the calories". It sets up great new cycles of "hmmm, if I skip the sweet potato I can have ice cream" which morphs to "if I have lean chicken breast with dry spinach I can have a snickers" whch becomes "hell, I'll just have cheesecake". It also sets up the sin/punishment mentality.

Go on the cruise. Enjoy the desserts. Enjoy the food. Come home, eat clean. Accept a few more pounds on the scale; they will come off in due time.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I'd just enjoy what you like, be active when you can, fast when it's convenient(e.g., not hungry, wait to eat), and stay as stress-free as possible. You do not have to justify to yourself or anyone else why you want dessert, it's obvious: it's delicious and you're on vacation!

Don't overthink this or let others make you doubt your decisions. Beating yourself up is so unhealthy. Have confidence that you will get back to normal when you return home. No need to believe in advance that it's a downward spiral. That's uncalled for and encourages an unhealthy relationship with food.
                Last edited by j3nn; 01-31-2013, 06:54 AM.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Whatever weight-loss program you're on, it will be easier if your body is fully mineralized. Especially if you sweat when you work out, you're losing minerals. If the body is fully mineralized, hunger decreases, cravings decrease, and fat is lost, whether you exercise or not.

btw If you eat that sugar-free ice cream, make sure it's not sweetened with Aspertame. To sweeten things at home, Stevia is a wonderful substitute for sugar.

Comment

Jeepers, it's a vacation. An expensive one, at that. Live it up!

I eat close to perfect most of the time so that when there's a special occasion, I have no guilt about indulging. If you're really concerned, though:

You could IF to limit damage. Save all of your calories for dinner and then burn through them the next day as you fast. Hopefully this will keep you in the "fat adapted" state so that you can continue to burn fat as your primary fuel.
                    I also recommend this, mostly because this is exactly what I did when I was in Vegas for a week, and it worked like a charm. I had nothing but black coffee (and, okay, some clear alcohol at the blackjack tables--it's free!) until about 6pm, and then I'd go to the buffet at whatever hotel I was in and eat whatever I wanted. Didn't gain a pound, and I actually felt good the whole time, no bloating or crankiness. AND, most importantly, I enjoyed myself and still felt like I was exercising my hedonism muscle (which is half the fun of a vacation, IMO!).

Comment

Many people here will not like my answer. But here it is anyway. Work out a whole bunch--cardio. Yes, the forbidden, really-bad-for-you cardio. When I went on vacation for nine days last spring, I was on week two of training for a ten-miler. Because of the training, I increased my weekly mileage drastically. Thus, although I was eating and drinking (and I mean drinking pina coladas and frozen margaritas) like the world was about to end, I lost weight instead of gained. Well, fine, I only ate eggs and some cheese for breakfast, would skip lunch, then have two frozen margaritas or pina coladas in the afternoon, then go out for a huge dinner with more drinks. I had dessert too, at least a couple of times. But dessert has never really been my thing.

Come to think of it, the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me has been working out so I wonder why I try so hard at this diet thing.

So, yeah, one word: run.

My journal

Comment

I dunno, Serenity, when I was training for a marathon and running a whole lot, I gained. I think the increased cortisol + increased carbs (there is really no way not to eat more carbs when running 50 miles a week) made my particular body type just pack it away like crazy. Steady state cardio is not my friend.

Different strokes and all that. Just wanted to offer an alternate perspective.

Comment

You're going on vacation. I'd just say to stop worrying about it and enjoy yourself. We've been on vacation a few times since going primal and while I try to stay as clean as possible I don't stress too much about ingredients and enjoy myself - and that means desserts! One thing you could do is just eat half the dessert to limit the damage, but personally I've never found it to be an issue to go straight back to clean eating afterwards (and I used to have a HUGE sugar addiction). Most of the time now I have a bite or two of dessert and that is all I can handle.

Comment

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
                            I dunno, Serenity, when I was training for a marathon and running a whole lot, I gained. I think the increased cortisol + increased carbs (there is really no way not to eat more carbs when running 50 miles a week) made my particular body type just pack it away like crazy. Steady state cardio is not my friend.

Different strokes and all that. Just wanted to offer an alternate perspective.
                            Yes, you're right. Different people are different. Training for a marathon is also different from training for a 10-miler though. I was only running about 25-30 miles a week; I think 32 miles was my peak. I imagine that 50 miles per week would be a deal more stressful.

My journal

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having a single serving of panacotta or creme brulee while on fancy cruise vacation. If you want the ice cream, go for the real deal, don't ruin it with sugar free. Relax and enjoy, and keep your other meals primal.

Fruit and cheese plate sounds yummy too. But I am a sucker for anything custardy. :3

Just keep your other meals as primal as possible given that you aren't preparing your own meals, and you should do just fine.
                              yay!

Comment

Enjoy the sugar free vanilla ice cream with some bourbon poured over it and plenty of fruits! Eat ad libitum all the stuff that you usually avoid at home, but make your cocktails sugar free like CubaLibre made on diet coke. Also, do plenty of rounds in the swimming pool for “damage-control”, cardio works for burning up energy, and when eating a lot you can also exercise yourself much more than usual! And enjoy your cruise without worrying about a little more added weight, it will mostly be water gain after all…
                                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X