How Much Protein is REALLY Necessary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Protein is REALLY Necessary

It could be just the remnants of the SAD way of life refusing to let go but I've always had the understanding that you should have protein at each meal and every day. Now, I've spent the last three years reading book after book, listening to podcast after podcast, reviewing website and forums and have found varying thoughts on the amount of protein and I'm confused.

I understand that with Primal/Paleo WOE you should be focusing on less/no processed carbs and more good fats but I just heard yet another theory that says that you don't need to eat MEAT each day. Their theory was that it was better to eat meat 4-5 times a week and make sure it's organic and grass-fed (or cage-free, etc) than to eat mass-produced meat and eggs at each meal. The general thought is you don't need THAT much protein and it's better to ensure that the quality of the meat is better than the quantity.

The quality of my meat is an issue, as I just can't afford to be eating Primally AND making sure my meat products are the best. Each week I ensure that at least my chicken is the best possible, but the beef, eggs, and occasional pork is not.

So, my question is then just how much protein do we really need daily, weekly, etc? Do any of you find that you now eat less meat and still feel great, are healthy, and have lost weight?

How much do you "really" need to do what?

If you wanna retain lean mass while losing fat you need more protein. If you wanna put on lean mass you need more. If your just maintaining your status quo you don't need as much. If you don't mind losing lean mass while you drop fat just to get the scale to go down you also don't need as much.

Comment

"Recently a meta-analysis of 235 non-athletic individuals gathered from 19 nitrogen balance studies for estimating protein requirements in healthy adults found the median estimated average requirement (EAR), and 97.5th percentile (RDA) to be 105 mg N∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, and 132 mgN ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1 respectively (2). This corresponds to 0.65 and 0.83 g good quality protein ∙ kg-1 ∙ d-1, or 52 g and 66.4 g per day respectively for an 80 kg individual."

From here.

The amount of protein you eat is really going to depends on what your goals are. If you want to put on lots of lean mass, you're going to want to eat more. If you're just worried about money, the cheaper cuts of meat are going to provide plenty of protein and nutrition, even if they're not the highest quality. I don't eat much animal protein at the moment (begrudgingly), and I feel fine. You should be fine eating it only once a day or even less than that if it's what you can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        How much do you "really" need to do what?

If you wanna retain lean mass while losing fat you need more protein. If you wanna put on lean mass you need more. If your just maintaining your status quo you don't need as much. If you don't mind losing lean mass while you drop fat just to get the scale to go down you also don't need as much.
        Agree 100%. If you want to be lean and slim, you don't need that much protein. If you want decent muscle mass, then you absolutely need a fair amount of protein. The body self regulates muscle mass based upon how much protein you receive (as well as other things like hormones, calories, etc).

Something to keep in mind is that having respectable muscle mass (I'm not talking about bodybuilders, natural or supplemented, mind you) does have plenty of health benefits such as metabolism boosts, increased insulin sensitivity, etc. Having some mass is healthy as long as you aren't eating crap, binge eating, or otherwise abusing your body for maximum muscle gain.

--Me

Comment

Originally posted by bellajgw View Post
          It could be just the remnants of the SAD way of life refusing to let go but I've always had the understanding that you should have protein at each meal and every day. Now, I've spent the last three years reading book after book, listening to podcast after podcast, reviewing website and forums and have found varying thoughts on the amount of protein and I'm confused.

I understand that with Primal/Paleo WOE you should be focusing on less/no processed carbs and more good fats but I just heard yet another theory that says that you don't need to eat MEAT each day. Their theory was that it was better to eat meat 4-5 times a week and make sure it's organic and grass-fed (or cage-free, etc) than to eat mass-produced meat and eggs at each meal. The general thought is you don't need THAT much protein and it's better to ensure that the quality of the meat is better than the quantity.

The quality of my meat is an issue, as I just can't afford to be eating Primally AND making sure my meat products are the best. Each week I ensure that at least my chicken is the best possible, but the beef, eggs, and occasional pork is not.

So, my question is then just how much protein do we really need daily, weekly, etc? Do any of you find that you now eat less meat and still feel great, are healthy, and have lost weight?
          Actually you don't need to eat anything each day.

Comment

With adequate carb intake, protein needs are pretty low. Somewhere around 40-60g a day for an average size male. If you are doing heavy strength training it will raise a bit but not as much as conventional wisdom would have you think.

Now if you dont eat adequate carbs then your protein requirements will go up.

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                With adequate carb intake, protein needs are pretty low ... Now if you dont eat adequate carbs then your protein requirements will go up.
                Elaborate on that?

Comment

Your body will use the protein for glucose if you are not consuming carbs. If you want to spare lean mass on a low carb diet, your protein requirements will have to go up.

Am i wrong, Neckhammer?

Comment

Your body will use the protein for glucose if you are not consuming carbs. If you want to spare lean mass on a low carb diet, your protein requirements will have to go up.

Am i wrong, Neckhammer?
                    I am not Neckhammer, but you are right! The body need glucose all the time and it can get very little or nothing from fat, so it must get it either from carbohydrates or from proteins. If it can't get glucose from ingested carbs or protein it must break down lean body tissue to get it...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I don't know if this will help. When I'm looking for answers to that type of question and finding tons of conflicting recommendations, I generally google and find what both sides of the coin say. So in this case, I might check what the Fed states as a guideline and compare it to a well respected bodybuilding site recommendation. Somewhere between those two lies the truth. You could use it as a range.

As a note, though pork seems to be kind of put down (except bacon) in these parts, pork loin has a lot of protein and is often on sale because it's a cut that needs to be cooked low and slow.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Am i wrong, Neckhammer?
                        The way I understand it is the body will use Fat when you are not consuming carbs through the process of Gluconeogenesis. This is actually the preferred source of glucose for your brain. You don't want the body to break down protein for its glucose source because this could lead to a catabolic/muscle wasting state. And if you are trying to build lean muscle breaking down protein would not be ideal. That is how I understand it.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                          The way I understand it is the body will use Fat when you are not consuming carbs through the process of Gluconeogenesis. This is actually the preferred source of glucose for your brain. You don't want the body to break down protein for its glucose source because this could lead to a catabolic/muscle wasting state. And if you are trying to build lean muscle breaking down protein would not be ideal. That is how I understand it.
                          No, that's wrong. Gluconeogenesis is the process in which your body raises blood sugar and converts several tissues into glucose when dietary glucose is insufficient. It's also accomplishing this by breaking down your bodies protein, hence why you cannot be in ketosis with a high intake of dietary protein. So, in essence, doing exactly what you said in the second part.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Depends on the size and activity level of the person. Too many people consume the wrong types of protein, ie; muscle meats, poultry, bacon, and other inflammatory tryptophan heavy protein sources. Protein is thermogenic, and just as important as carbs for thyroid health, but too many people are consuming too much of the wrong types of protein.

Milk, cheese, gelatin, these are sources of protein which are anti-stress and beneficial.

Personally, I get too low protein, but it's just because I have a natural affinity to fruit and sweets and cannot get the proper protein without uncomfortably consuming too many calories day after day. Thinking of starting a cycle, weekly, or every other day in which I get Peat recommended protein of 80-140g per day. Thinking for my height, I might need 140.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

So are you saying that Gluconeogenesis is not the process in which the body will break down fat or protein to create glucose for the body and brain? After breaking down the fat in the liver you are left with ketones. That is the way I have always read about it in my physiology books as well as the Paleo Solution and Primal Blueprint? Robb Wolf has said many times on his podcast that the body prefers fat for gluconeogenesis.
                              Last edited by Balance; 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM.
                              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Working...
                              X