Hunting and Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kata,

You have the right attitude. In order to be an ethical hunter, you have to have a very deep respect for the animals you hunt.

As for what type of gun, a bolt action is typically preferred for hunting. I would recommend either a .243 or .270 caliber. Both are widely available and ammunition is easy to come by. Brand of gun is not as important in my opinion, most modern guns are more accurate than the average modern shooter.

As you learn more about it and start getting out in the field, you'll find that your understanding and appreciation for the animals you hunt grows.

Comment

big hunter here. i started when i was 10. i bow and shotgun hunt deer in nj, rifle hunt deer in PA, and also hunt ducks, geese, pheasants and rabbits.

@kata, what gun to purchase depends on what you will be using it to hunt and also depends on what your local/state regulations are. check out your state's fish and game website for regulations. you'll probably have to take and pass a hunter's safety course, and you'll need to apply for a federal firearms ID card through your local law enforcement agency.

some good options for decent and affordable guns are a remington 870 or mossberg 500 combo. for about $400, you'll get a shotgun with 2 barrels (one smooth bore for bird hunting etc, and one rifled barrel for shooting slugs) and 3-4 chokes for the smooth barrel. this is a great way to have a solid all around gun you can hunt with year-round.

if you only plan on hunting deer, i think georgia allows rifle hunting. a .270 or .308 would be a solid choice. i'd actually say the .308 or even a 30.06 would be my choice. there are quite a few i believe some testing was done recently and it was found that the marlin x7 (in .308 caliber) was the most accurate shooting bolt action rifle under $500. something like that. my go-to calibers for rifle hunting are 30.06 or .35 remington. i love my marlin 336 (in .35 remington) for the brushy mountain hunting of PA (probably similar to georgia terrain) and i know my uncle (who is a gun collector) favored his marlin 336 for deer hunting when he lived in south carolina.

Comment

Hunter here. I use a .270 and I'm pretty happy with it. I accidentally hit a doe down past her ribs and she was still dead in less than 20 seconds (spine shot).
        I also missed one this season, but I think it was the fact that I was shooting at the biggest buck I had ever saw (while hunting) and my shaking and the urine running down my leg was a distraction.
        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

My husband hunts for us---yeah! As of last year I've become the primary deerskinner in the family---I actually really ENJOY skinning a deer..it's methodical and not all that bloody. I do all the butchering myself and hubby bought me a new meat saw for Christmas (is that love or what?!)

I keep saying that I want to get my license and go, but I kind of like my place in the line up right now...skinning and butchering (and cooking!)---it takes a village, right?
          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I have not gone hunting but I backpacked with a guy who hunts and takes people on guided hunting trips. I want to go with him sometime.

I have seriously thought about surf fishing but I don't know where to begin. There is so much to learn about reading the water and I don't have any equipment or even know what equipment I need. There are a lot of rules about the fish you can take and I wouldn't be able to identify the fish at the end of my line if I caught one, unless it was a shark, and then all I could tell you would be "that's a shark."
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hub and I hunt as well. Our carnivore raw fed cats don't mind it a bit either.

Comment

Learning to. Working on my compound bow skills, also hoping to go after some small game soon.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Love to hunt! Deer, pheasant and grouse mainly. I mostly make jerky with the venison, since it is not a very fatty meat. With the rabbit population where I live, I could live off that alone if I wanted - but haven't been daring enough to try it yet. I fish better then I hunt (still need work on my shot). Plenty of rivers and lakes nearby and the fishing is always good. Nothing better then catching your own food!

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                    Marry me! Just kidding I'm already married.
                    Got a brother ?
                    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

I like to go squirrel hunting by myself. Nothing beats sitting in the woods in the middle of a deserted wildlife management area. It's so peaceful.
                      My Writing Blog
                      My Twitter

Comment

I come from a hunting family, my DH has never gone but if everything works out this year I am going to make him go. My Dad and Brother go every year but I think they just go to get away from my mom, and hubbys best friend goes every year but he goes out of state. The only fear I have is if he doesn't get a deer or elk, we will be out about $1,000 between lost wages and the cost of going.... That could buy us half a cow, so unless he gets something it will be so not worth it. And me myself I could never pull the trigger, I can skin and butcher but no killing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aix_sponsa View Post
                          I like to go squirrel hunting by myself. Nothing beats sitting in the woods in the middle of a deserted wildlife management area. It's so peaceful.
                          i used to go squirrel hunting with my dad when i was a kid . haven't done that in years. however, there is talk that nj will allow air rifles to be used for rabbits and squirrels next year. looks like i'm going to have to buy myself a new toy and start plinking some squirrels

Comment

I have never gone hunting. Growing up in SoCal it wasn't something anyone admitted doing. Most people never talked about hunting at all, except in a negative way. I have this perception of hunting as a fairly insular activity and I didn't grow up with it, don't know the "unwritten rules", and don't know how to go from outsider to insider.

I want to start, and I have even taken a few steps in that direction...when I moved to Texas I bought a "lifetime" hunting/fishing license. I've taken a hunter safety course. I have a gun...heck, I even have a (compound) bow...and I know how to use them. I just haven't managed to translate all of that into actually hunting.

Comment

I would suggest joining a club and finding a mentor. There's a whole more to it than one would think.
                              If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

I believe you on the "more to it" ... there is a whole bunch about hunting that seems to be unwritten and local. The funny part is that a lot of the "hunting their whole lives" crowd doesn't seem to know how knowledgeable they really are. They've known about hunting since childhood so they don't really appreciate the knowledge.

Hunting clubs and mentors are yet more mystery to me.
                                Last edited by Him; 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X