No announcement yet.

Foods to fight depression?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yogabare, to be honest I'm wondering if a starch would help me too. I'm coming out of a year-long depression (not that I feel great; I'm just not screaming as much) but PMS depression still hits me hard. I'm not talking huge potato hack amounts... maybe a 1/2 cup of rice every other day or so.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
      Yogabare, to be honest I'm wondering if a starch would help me too. I'm coming out of a year-long depression (not that I feel great; I'm just not screaming as much) but PMS depression still hits me hard. I'm not talking huge potato hack amounts... maybe a 1/2 cup of rice every other day or so.
      That's not going to do anything, and going "guess I'll have 1/2 a cup of rice because I'm depressed" sounds counter-productive. Go out for ice cream or something with friends.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

I find that I get depressed if I am deprived of fruit and fresh crunchy vegetables. There are two hormones that impact depressive moods, cortisol and serotonine. Cortisol based depression is helped by eating fats and going low carb. Serotonine one is actually worsened by doing it. Eating a small serving of starch, a tbsp of honey and/or fruit mid afternoon and before bed might help that.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
          Hey Oxide, I'm really sorry to hear that you've been down for so long Listen, I'm not going to say that starch is the answer. If you've been depressed for so long then I'm imagining that there are underlying issues that are triggering a depressed response to external events, yeah? You'll need to face those (I'm sure you know this).

However, I do think that limiting a massive energy source from the diet (don't shoot me, Paleobird! ) and making your body work that bit harder just to manufacture glucose is not good for someone with a depressed physiology. There are studies looking at the immune response of depressed people versus...umm... undepressed people, and the latter group had a much better immune response to pathogens. Giving a depressed physiology an easy, benign source of energy that doesn't require a lot of processing makes sense to me now. Maybe that's why I personally am just drawn to white rice - I eat bananas and potatoes too, but it's the rice I want, which is just pure glucose. It seems to give me what I need. But I also keep doing the inner work.

And obviously the rest of the diet has to be balanced with that. You won't put on weight if you keep it moderate.

OP, sorry for the digression - this probably isn't directly applicable to you as your depression doesn't sound chronic, but those are my reasons for promoting starch. Yay rice!
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by shema View Post
            -Drinking 1/2 cup of black coffee when I feel really bad. It REALLY elevates my mood.
            This also reflects my experience. And since I really enjoy coffee, it became nasty dependency leading to anxiety and OCD symptoms. It was because of this that I went looking fort dietary changes.

Comment

I would try limiting eggs for a few days to see if that helps.

I have used SAM-E and Evening Primrose Oil with some modest success in helping with depression. They might be worth a try for you too.

Don't be afraid to get more help from a therapist and/or your doctor though. Depression can get very severe very quickly.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
              X