From the very last part of the study:
"ASSESSMENT OF BOTH THE VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF THE LONG-TERM STUDIES ON ASPARTAME AND DI-KETOPIPERAZINE BASED ON THE SUMMARIES OF THE UAREP REPORTS.
1. The Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology (UAREP) report consisted in an authentication review of selected materials submitted to the FDA relative to the application of Searle laboratories to market aspartame.
From nearly 100 studies which Searle has presented to the FDA to market aspartame, 12 were selected by FDA and other parties for this review. They included:
- five major studies of long term toxicity effects in the dogs, rats, and mice
- two special neuropathology studies
- the effects of aspartame in newborn rats
- a two generation reproductive study in the rat
- a series of screening tests for endocrinological and physiological responses
- a report covering a few inconsequential observations on pregnant monkeys
- a major study of the effects of aspartame and its metabolites in embryogenesis and teratogenesis in rabbits."
The fox is not only guarding the henhouse but is generating studies about how safe it is to employ him there.