Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Bowel Movements, something missing from diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Bowel Movements, something missing from diet?

Booo so today I was faced with the annoyance of a hard bowel movement, that resulted in bloodshed *insert sad face here* so I'm curious as to if its something that I'm missing in my diet that caused this or just one of the many mysteries in the world. Helpful points might be that I'm on my third week of eating primal, and I drink plenty of water.

Any thoughts?

Are you eating any starch? Any vegetables?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

yeah I am eating vegetables, and sweet potatoes which I think is considered a starch?

Comment

Hm, well I did hear something about how too much water can overharden the stools. What about your fat intake?

Otherwise, I don't have much to add. xD
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I think my fat intake is pretty good, but I really don't count anything so I really cant be sure. However, butter, coconut milk, olive oil, crem fraiche, avocado, etc tend to be a daily stapple. Typically I drink around 500 to 750 ml of water a day, sometimes less but usually around there.

Comment

Eat some fruit!

How are your energy levels and bodytemps, your hands and feet cold? A slow metabolism can slow the digestion so the food will take longer to get through.

Comment

I think it has just as much to do with WHEN you eat as WHAT you eat. If I ate nuts, then 3 hours later ate vegetables, I'd definitely pay later for eating just nuts. But if I eat the veggies and the nuts at the same time, I have no problems. I just think of my intestines like a tube I'm filling up... if you put a bunch of nuts in there alone, bad. Hard. Rocks. But nuts and veggies together, fine. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Neanderthal Betty View Post
                I think my fat intake is pretty good, but I really don't count anything so I really cant be sure. However, butter, coconut milk, olive oil, crem fraiche, avocado, etc tend to be a daily stapple. Typically I drink around 500 to 750 ml of water a day, sometimes less but usually around there.
                Are you sure you are drinking enough water?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                  Are you sure you are drinking enough water?
                  maybe not, once I converted it I realized that I could probably be drinking quite a bit more water. I could also add in some fruit, being that I typically don't eat much in the way of fruit.

Comment

I agree - you're not drinking enough water. Goal should be 1-2 litres/day

Comment

You may need some probiotics too. Try some fermented veggies, or some kefir, kombucha, maybe all three.

Gut Sense: Overcoming Fiber Dependence

Comment

Do you eat a lot of cheese?
                        Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                        Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                        "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                        "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                        "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

No one has mentioned magnesium - use a citrate or sulfate, I believe - not oxide (not as well absorbed). and do drink plenty. Magnesium will help keep the stools softer by preventing the water from being pulled out in transit (as I understand it). There have been many threads on constipation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neanderthal Betty View Post
                            Booo so today I was faced with the annoyance of a hard bowel movement, that resulted in bloodshed *insert sad face here* so I'm curious as to if its something that I'm missing in my diet that caused this or just one of the many mysteries in the world. Helpful points might be that I'm on my third week of eating primal, and I drink plenty of water.

Any thoughts?
                            I think it depends on a number of things, such as: length of time on PB (3 weeks is not long enough), age, how sick you were before primal, how bad your diet and eating habits were.
                            If you're following PB pretty closely, don't worry. Excessive water, fruits, fats, etc. aren't necessary. Just time.

And absolutely - don't push, certainly not enough to cause bleeding or anywhere near that. That can cause you a lot more problems.
                            Last edited by Cryptocode; 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM.
                            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

What color was the blood? Dark, bright red, fresh red?

Comment

Working...
                              X