Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fasting suggestions?

    Hello,

    I am new to this program (have been primal for about three weeks). I was fascinated that intermitten fasting is encouraged. I was always raised that three meals a day plus snacks is a must! I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Kelly

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kelly Korg View Post
    Hello,

    I am new to this program (have been primal for about three weeks). I was fascinated that intermitten fasting is encouraged. I was always raised that three meals a day plus snacks is a must! I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Kelly

    Follow the primal blue print as written for 6 months. Then worry about fasting. That is my tip. IMHO jumping into fasting too soon is counterproductive for many.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      Follow the primal blue print as written for 6 months. Then worry about fasting. That is my tip. IMHO jumping into fasting too soon is counterproductive for many.
      Curious as to your reply. Would fasting not always been part of being primal? I'm sure that Gork did not eat perfect for 6 months then fast because of shortage of food.

      Please explain....
      55 yr old male


      07/01/2013

      Weight; 199
      Chest; 41.5
      Waist; 42
      Hips; 40
      Thigh; 22.5
      Calf; 15
      Bicep: 13
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 17

      07/20/2013

      Weight; 200
      Chest; 42
      Waist; 42.5
      Hips; 39
      Thigh; 23
      Calf; 15
      Bicep: 13
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 16

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
        Curious as to your reply. Would fasting not always been part of being primal? I'm sure that Gork did not eat perfect for 6 months then fast because of shortage of food.

        Please explain....
        Sure, and if i didn't have access to food due to food storage I would fast too. If I had to chase wild game with a spear I would run more as well. In a modern world with food readily accessible it is easy to try to fast before you are ready and then over eat. This is not a problem for everyone but for many it is. As such, I suggest giving your body time to heal/get used to the WOE before trying to fast. Just my personal opinion based on how many here I have seen start fasting too early and failing.

        And I am not suggesting everyone fast, merely if you want to I'd suggest waiting until adjusted to this WOE. Again, only my opinion take it or leave it

        Comment


        • #5
          I think 3 weeks is probably enough turn you into a fat burning beast, but to find out for sure, just ask yourself, do you have to eat regularly? If you are a fat burning beast the answer is no, maybe you eat regularly, but you could go for longer without. Maybe you just find that you aren't that hungry for breakfast or lunch, well the good news is, you don't have to eat it!

          Fasting is good for the body and helps in weight loss. Here is a fantastic MDA article on the subject, and it is actually this article that introduced me to the primal blueprint. Good luck!

          https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            Follow the primal blue print as written for 6 months. Then worry about fasting. That is my tip. IMHO jumping into fasting too soon is counterproductive for many.
            Word. Especially if your fighting any metabolic syndrome or adrenal fatigue. Grok didn't totally screw up these systems then jump to primal eating to fix them. Many new to primal have.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kelly Korg View Post
              Hello,
              I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.
              I tried doing alternative-day fasting at the beginning of the year, and found it to be pretty disruptive. But fasting from dinner-to-dinner most days has been working really well for me. I don't really get hungry during the day, and I'm not ravenous at dinnertime either.

              YMMV of course - especially if you are going directly from SAD to Primal and your body isn't used to relying of fat for energy

              Comment


              • #8
                Why are you scared? Try it. If you feel terrible while trying IF, grab a snack. It's not like there's a massive food shortage around these days. You likely aren't going to go crazy or faint or swoon. Hunger isn't something terrifying. Just do it.
                F 28/5'4/100 lbs

                "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sambo712 View Post
                  I think 3 weeks is probably enough turn you into a fat burning beast, but to find out for sure, just ask yourself, do you have to eat regularly? If you are a fat burning beast the answer is no, maybe you eat regularly, but you could go for longer without. Maybe you just find that you aren't that hungry for breakfast or lunch, well the good news is, you don't have to eat it!

                  Fasting is good for the body and helps in weight loss. Here is a fantastic MDA article on the subject, and it is actually this article that introduced me to the primal blueprint. Good luck!

                  https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/
                  So are you saying, if I am burning fat effeciently, I shouldn't be hungry when I fast? Right now, I am usually hungry for each meal (although, snack between meals, which used to be a regular staple for me, is now practically non-existent). How do I get to the point of having a meal sustain me longer?

                  Thanks for all of the advice!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Art DeVince had a good starting approach. Start with missing one meal a week. Just one. Then see how it goes and how you feel about it. Fasting daily is an overkill for a lot of people and could encourage binges particularly in women.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kelly Korg View Post
                      I would love to give fasting a try but am not sure how to get started. I am terrified that I won't be able to focus at work because I will be starving.
                      If you have already mostly given up snacking, that's the first step. Do you feel hungry before your next meal? How are you handling that?

                      In my experience, the feeling of hunger is as much psychological as it is physical. I found early on that I could skip breakfast very easily on the weekends if I was running errands or busy around the house. My job involves too much sitting at the computer to keep my mind off food, so weekdays were much harder. I played around with macros and calories and nothing seemed to make it easier. Then all of a sudden, I was going until lunch on just my morning coffee with 2T heavy cream. I still got hungry, but it didn't seem to bother me as much.

                      I would recommend that you try it out. Don't pressure yourself. If it takes you 6 months (or a lifetime) to get the hang of it, that's OK.
                      50yo, 5'3"
                      SW-195
                      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was frighten to fast, thinking I was going to starve to death. However, when I first started, I was surprised how unhungry I was. Start simple by giving up breakfast. The thought of maintaining a meal to the next meal w/out starving is mostly psychological. You'll learn that there is a difference between starving and being hungry.

                        Good luck!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We moved from normal 3 meals plus a snack or two to IF in an 8 hr eating window -- which for my husband is 3 meals plus a snack, and for me it's two means plus a snack.

                          It's not necessary to get the benefits of Primal Blueprint, and some people notice no change in how they look/feel with vs without IF. Some people do notice a change.

                          I also agree with canio -- do at least 6 months regular PB to see how things are going for you, how you are adjusting, etc, and then consider going in for IF. We were 2 years-ish in before we started IF, and it's been good for us.

                          Up to you, really. Just research the different IF methods. There's plenty of information out there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I read on Dr. Mercola's site that fasting is great. However, it may not be so great for women's fertility. So that is something to keep in mind if your fertility is important to you now ir in the future.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X