Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An anecdote to think about

Grumpycakes:

2003 - 260 lbs, said enough is enough. Started eating less junk, working out on the elliptical. No notion of "primal," still eating bread and high carb. 60 pounds melted off in a year.

2006 - introduced to paleo via DeVany and Sisson. Lost an additional 25 lbs by 2008.

2008-2012 - Maintained primal lifestyle, weight did not budge despite having another 20 or so pounds to lose. I could have amped up the exercise and gone nutty Whole 30, but it never made sense to start something I was not willing to maintain. I hate "exercise." I love play. It's hard to find people to "play" with.

2012 - Frustrated. Screw it, I'm eating what I want. Carbs way up, eating wheat often. Actually eating pretty indiscriminately based on foods that I enjoy and that make me feel good (breaded ginger beef and donairs and cookies make me feel good. It's okay to admit it. Go on).

2013 - Have not gotten any fatter, health has not suffered, feeling good.

So what's going on?

Shortly before my initial resolve to lose weight, my father died. He was a source of an incredible amount of stress in my life. The weight came off so easily. In 2008 I had to move back home and did not have the means to live on my own for long until now. My father's death revealed the incredibly damaged and stressful relationship I have with my mother, which I have been enduring and which has seeped into all areas of my life. Despite being active and careful about what I ate, my spare tire would not bulge. Neither is the weight budging now that I am much more relaxed about what I eat.

I am convinced that emotional stress plays an enormous role in fat storage. Far larger than Sisson acknowledges. If you have been thinking that it's all about wheat and carbs yet are not getting anywhere in your diet, it might be good to look at other areas of your life and to resolve past and present issues that are plaguing you.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Love it!

180degreehealth.com FTW

Comment

Sorry to hear of your emotional distress, but eating shit for a year and not dieing neither proves 180 or disproves that primal is optimal.

I can agree with your assertion that emotional well being is overlooked. Physical, chemical and mental stressors all contribute to ill health. But, IMO they compound and multiply their effect when present in multiple areas. In the end eating well only removes one stress, but it also enables you to handle the other stresses better.

You really do have to frame the way you have decided to eat in a way that is not stressful. If you look at every piece of food that is good for you as a way of loving and caring for yourself rather than depriving yourself your whole outlook will change. Eating primal doesn't have to be a mental stress.

Comment

I totally agree that stress is overlooked too often in the mainstream but I don't think you can accuse Mark of doing that.
        He has posted on this subject many times and things like play and sleep are right up there with diet and exercise in the PB plan

The Physical Toll of Negative Emotions | Mark's Daily Apple
        Nov 29, 2012 ... In recent years, studies have highlighted the role stress, emotions, and personality traits play in serious health risks. For example, research ...
        The Physical Toll of Negative Emotions | Mark's Daily Apple

Weight Loss: The Emotional Element | Mark's Daily Apple
        2 days ago ... Weight Loss: The Emotional Element. Welcome! If you want to lose weight, gain muscle, increase energy levels, reduce stress or just generally ...
        Weight Loss: The Emotional Element | Mark's Daily Apple

17 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple
        Jan 26, 2010 ... The stress response system is subconscious; it responds to stimuli and nothing else. Emotional stress, physical stress, financial stress, ...
        17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

The Physical Benefits of Positive Emotions | Mark's Daily Apple
        Dec 6, 2012 ... Aside from the cognitive advantages, the primary physiological benefit of positive emotions is the “undoing” of negative stress induced ...
        The Physical Benefits of Positive Emotions | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          If you look at every piece of food that is good for you as a way of loving and caring for yourself rather than depriving yourself your whole outlook will change.
          Including so-called junk food.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

You really do have to frame the way you have decided to eat in a way that is not stressful. If you look at every piece of food that is good for you as a way of loving and caring for yourself rather than depriving yourself your whole outlook will change. Eating primal doesn't have to be a mental stress.
            This is the best advice. Be a kind and loving parent to yourself.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

The human body us resilient. There are plenty of people out there who don't do primal or paleo and feel fine. It's just up to what you choose to do for your body. I think we know that you can survive on a CW diet just fine, but some of us do better than others.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Whether you eventually decide to ditch Primal or whatnot, I really wanted you to know that I know parental stress, and you have all the good Karma I can muster for you.

I have seen stress do incredible things to myself and the hubby, so you don't have to convince me that is can negatively equalize gains made by a good diet appropriate for you.

But, please, don't go thinking that you are invincible to the real junk food for long - no matter what WOE you ascribe to or not, there just isn't enough nutrition in that stuff to sustain you!

Grumpycakes, I wish you the best in dealing with your mom. My old man is Messed Up, and I shudder to think what I will deal with eventually irregardless of which one goes first, as my mom is long since codependent. Big Virtual Hugs.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

My third son was born with biliary artresia (no bile ducts in the liver) and quickly went into liver failure and spent the last year wasting away, dying. You can imagine the stress. It was unbearable. During this time I went full paleo and ate very healthy despite everything going on. My weight would not budge. Not even a pound. Boy was I frustrated. 6 months ago he had a liver transplant. The transformation has been amazing. He's healthy and happy. And my weight is literally melting off...I'm a fat burning machine now, still primal/paleo with good amounts of carbs, raw milk, bone broths, lots of fats, etc, etc.

Comment

Allow me, also a parent, to say how glad I am for you and your family and thanks for sharing that.
                    Last edited by Terry H; 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Wasn't PB a lifestyle to begin with? It's not all about eating, although I'm sure it plays at least a 20-30% role in our overall health.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
                        My third son was born with biliary artresia (no bile ducts in the liver) and quickly went into liver failure and spent the last year wasting away, dying. You can imagine the stress. It was unbearable. During this time I went full paleo and ate very healthy despite everything going on. My weight would not budge. Not even a pound. Boy was I frustrated. 6 months ago he had a liver transplant. The transformation has been amazing. He's healthy and happy. And my weight is literally melting off...I'm a fat burning machine now, still primal/paleo with good amounts of carbs, raw milk, bone broths, lots of fats, etc, etc.
                        Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                        Allow me, also a parent, to say how glad I am for you and your family and thanks for sharing that.
                        Hear, hear!
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Oh yea, stress is huge. I gained ten pounds the week after my grandfather died. And it wasn't water. Never did that before or since. I don't think I really ate more either...

That said, I think there is more to your situation. You gave your body a break from destructive foods, you gave it time to heal and rebuild. So it's not surprising that you can eat crap now and be fine. But don't expect it to last forever. You are now tearing away at what you built up and won't see it until you tear enough away to affect function. It's like if you worked and saved for years and built up a good chunk of money in your bank account... and then started writing checks off of it as you so desired, never checking the balance. You wonder why you worked so hard and were so responsible before- heck there was no need, just writing checks all day works just as well and is much more fun. But eventually the checks start bouncing and your back at square one. But this time older and possibly worse off than ever. A little spending is fine, but make it a habit and you'll be sorry.
                          Last edited by AshleyL; 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Excellent analogy, Ashley.

Comment

I thought about this earlier on my trip to Target. I thought about my recent weight gain (I have achieved a "normal" weight after being underweight the last few years) and how the years I was below BMI were parent-free. I've had to get away from both parents (and really everyone) from my past in order to work a lot of things out. I didn't gain it all back, but the body composition isn't like it used to be. There's some fat gain, but nothing serious. I'm normal, which I realize I might have been all along. I needed to lose at most 5 lbs- maybe 10. But even at 90 lbs a lot of people could not admit I was skinny...... I was told my perfect weight (which is 97) was "too big". I'm at least 3-5 pounds heavier than that now, but feel better. What is also hard to understand is how I got away with weighing 108 in highschool (that would practically be huge today, thanks to the emphasis on being 10-15 lbs below the height/weight chart). Neither parent seemed to care what I did back then (actually no one cared- I never heard a word one way or the other, except that I had great legs), and certainly no one commented about my 4-6 day a week cardio routine. Really the fact is, nothing I ever did was good enough for them: no amount of exercise would have ever made them happy. I quit in my mid 20s, which was led to the dieting phase, something I have only just recently ended.... I wonder how it is that some people have these "issues" that seem tied to other people, but even if you seem to get the upper hand, you never really do. In my case, I passively starved it all off in my late 20s while living at my deceased grandmother's house. I ate oatmeal for breakfast and a sandwich at night, and gradually got down below 100. It was a great time for me, because I was so free. I loved being by myself and never thought about losing weight. I ate things I don't eat now, like nachos. I went through a phase where I baked tofu with tomatoes. Ok I admit it, I didn't drink milk. But the point is, being by myself seemed to help me a lot, and I've used that throughout the years to keep myself going. In the last few years I've been writing on boards like this and honestly, I don't really like to share the process with others. It isn't conducive. No one is ever really supportive, and people always act like they know it all. No matter what you say or do, it's a drama fest. And seriously, it gets so boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X