How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    for dinner, gets 3 cups cooked broccoli -- which is about what I eat at dinner when I have broccoli
    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I love how threads like this become a place to just drop in and shoot the shit.....

When OP gives you lemons kinda thing I guess
    O gosh, three cups of broccoli would launch me to the moon!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

• Oh, now it's time to talk about our bowels?! Goody! It's not disgusting or anything, it's not like no one wants to know! Lets talk about it!

I come from a long line of familial bowel and tummy problems. My mom has spastic colon and often has gas/bloating. My sister has IBS and some other stuff. My dad has tummy problems all the time. Gas was a huge part of our lives. I would usually had a low-grade tummy ache on-going, and under stress, it went to full bloating and constipation. I thought this was just my normal.

Then I went vegan.

I discovered that I was lactose intolerant, soy sensitive. I stopped eating soy, which wasn't that difficult. My low-level, all-the-time tummy ache went away. I learned to eat and cook a wide-variety of veggies. I discovered that I felt better on veggies, and that I disliked (or felt heavy/gassy) on beans/grains and heavy when eating potatoes/sweet potatoes. I was so-so on squashes. So, starchy things weren't my bestie. I ate them to feel full, though, because those potatoes make me feel full forever. Heavy and with a bit of a tummy ache, but full.

After moving to vegetarianism, I cut back on grains/beans because now I had eggs. Raw dairy was so-so. It wouldn't be as intense as pasteurized dairy, but it would still cause tummy ache.

Then I moved to primal. I cut grains and potatoes/sweet potatoes. Since then, I've had no problems with tummy at all (unless sick such as food poisoning or flu -- which I had once each last year).

I have a nice, easy-to-pass bowel movement every day. Color and shape are textbook awesome. Shall I photograph it for you since you are so concerned about my broccoli intake? I can do that just for all of my primal friends. Since you are all so interested.

I no longer have a running tummy ache or gas. I rarely bloat. These things crop up when I have: too many starchy veg, dairy, or grains. They do not show up when I eat veggies (i get between 80 and 125 g carbs per day, btw) -- and it's not unusual for me to have a salad that is 1 full head of lettuce, 1/2 telegraph cucumber (those are the really long ones), one-half fennel bulb, one half white onion, 1/2 bunch large/long celery, and a full avocado (plus olive oil, sea salt, and pepper).

It's delicious and refreshing. It feels good. And I don't have digestive issues. Thanks for asking.

*eye roll*

Comment

• What?

Imagine all of us sitting in a room together having this conversation, and someone mentions how they can eat 3 cups of broccoli, and then someone else says with a smile on their face, open body posture, and a lilt in their voice "wow, you can 3 cups at a time? that is amazing 'cause 3 cups would send me to the moon!"

At least that is how it was intended, as humorous.
        Last edited by jojohaligo; 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM.
        Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

• Lol

Comment

• I love how the OP left probably at around page 3...
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Yes, I understand both the humor *and* the use of humor to move toward social policing.

Comment

• I don't get it.
                Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  I love how the OP left probably at around page 3...
                  Actually her last post was page 23...
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                    What?

Imagine all of us sitting in a room together having this conversation, and someone mentions how they can eat 3 cups of broccoli, and then someone else says with a smile on their face, open body posture, and a lilt in their voice "wow, you can 3 cups at a time? that is amazing 'cause 3 cups would send me to the moon!"

At least that is how it was intended, as humorous.

Hold my hand?
                    (after 3 cups of broccoli of course... )
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• I don't think sharing differences in how foods affect us is "social policing". I could eat two whole heads of broccoli and feel completely normal, so the gas thing doesn't happen for me, either. But it interests me that it does happen for other people. Case in point: my sis-in-law, who watches me eat broccoli and brussels sprouts jealously, because they truly do give her liftoff. Whereas she eats a ton of dairy, and anything more than a half cup of Fage gives me the tummy rumbles. Sharing differences doesn't have to have judgment implied.

Comment

• it wasn't just one comment, see? And, I offered mine in humor, too. Right?

I have no problem with sharing in humor either -- most of this thread has been pretty funny. But there does come a point when folks are protesting a bit too much, eh? even with humor.

And, i can also tell the difference between sharing and what may be inferred from a continuous on-going statement about fiber-problems and how they become increasingly humorous. It turns out that I am a savvy reader on here and otherwise.

Comment

• Protest? That's hilarious. Especially when I was making fun of me.

Wasn't just one comment? Continuous on-going statement about fiber-problems? Seriously?

Can tell the difference? [sarcastic] Good for you. You are amazing. [/sarcastic]
                          Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

• This thread has gotten even weirder since the last time I dropped in to comment on its weirdness...

Comment

• I was going to post something a few pages ago, but now you can just sign me up for one of these awesome broccoli-rocket moon journeys I keep hearing about.

How many farts does it take to rocket to the moon? - Yahoo! Answers
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• jojo, don't take things so personally. I was not responding to your post.

In fact, it wasn't one post that 'inspired' my response. It was a host of posts over time in the thread and outside the thread that lead to my post.

And, one might also read that my post was likewise *offered* in humor: satire. And likewise that *satire* is a form of social policing. Yeah?
                                Last edited by zoebird; 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X