Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ok... it's just me I guess.
    I would not be able to eat that amount by any means without being sick.
    When I ate oatmeal I always made a 2 serving portion for myself which was 1cup oats and just under 2c water.

I just looked directions for quaker rolled oats... 3c is a 6 serving portion(1/2 servings so it should be 3c even after cooked) and requires 5 3/4c water.
    That's a lot of food by my standards... there is no way that ends up just a little bit.
    I always found cereal amounts nutso.

Like, when I was a kid, a "serving" of cheerios (the cereal) was something like 1/4 cup. Which was like, 9 "o's." lol. On average, I would eat at least 4 servings in a sitting, and possibly double that besides.

My ILs measure their cereal out by the serving, and eat the smallest amounts of food. They ahve all kinds of health problems, too -- they eat low fat, CW, and about 1800 calories per day (or less). It's sad really.

So, when being grainy (rather than meaty), i needed to eat more volume -- and it wasn't painful for me to eat that if I wanted.

But again, my preference was for fruit/veggies. I much prefer them. Feel lighter.

Comment

• Hey bloodorchid!

Yo cori!

Just chillin. Ya know.

Comment

• yeah that's cool, me too
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
          So what?
          So grams of vegetarian protein do not equate to grams of animal protein. Thought it was obvious...

Comment

• Technically, there is no such thing as a true vegan.

I do feel because humans are so adaptive that there are certain points in time where any set or form of eating lifestyle can and should be appropriate.

I also feel people need to find their own way sometimes, to discover for themselves and to learn more about themselves....only then can real truth be experienced.

Comment

• This was an interesting thread to read, for the most part.

I used to be veggie when I was in my teens, for reasons of animal cruelty. I'm not now, but I have given up dairy, partly because it's full of hormones and rubbish, partly because it doesn't agree with me (Crohns disease and a side helping of coeliac and lactose intolerance) and partly also because I think dairy cows have a very poor life indeed.

I am definitely veering towards the buy/eat less meat but buy good quality well reared stuff. I'd rather breed an animal for meat and it have a good comfortable life (ie no stalls, crates, being fed food it wouldn't naturally eat, or being pumped full of hormones) and a clean quick humane death than I would breed an animal for milk - I agree it's not natural for an animal to be constantly pregnant, and we are the only species to drink the milk of another species after weaning - that's gotta be a little weird?

I don't think I could be vegan though because I cannot tolerate legumes at all. I do eat some organic tofu, and occasionally I use gluten free soy sauce, but that's all I can do in terms of legumes thanks to a screwed up gut.

Comment

• We're really the only species who has harnessed the how of getting to drink other species milk. But i also know that a lot of animals go nutso over dairy if they can get ahold of it. Cats and dogs are pretty notable (because msot of us have seen our pets go for it).

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  Trust me, that milk is hard won. We don't just give it away to random men who might think it's nice, and your over-sexualization of our feeding process for our children is kind of yucky.
                  It wasn't meant to be sexual
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

• yeah, well, you could have put it differently, hey?

When adults suckle at breast, it's sexual in nature. When babies, it's about nutrition. Adults tend to get milk from pumped sources. So. . . yeah. Seems pretty obvious even if it wasn't "meant" that way.

Comment

• I suppose so, yeah
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        We're really the only species who has harnessed the how of getting to drink other species milk. But i also know that a lot of animals go nutso over dairy if they can get ahold of it. Cats and dogs are pretty notable (because msot of us have seen our pets go for it).
                        Yup, my dog loves it, but the results aren't at all pretty, it upsets his stomach pretty bad!

Comment

• Oats give me and my wife very painful gas. We tried them once for our son and he threw them up. I used to love Irish oatmeal so I would just deal with the gas. I would eat a big bowl of the stuff only to be starving about two hours later. We don't even bother with them anymore. We've written oats off.

Comment

• Question for the OP; do you have pets? If so, are you going to kill them by feeding them a vegetarian diet, or contradict yourself and feed them meat? If you don't have a pet then you are killing them by proxy by not adopting one. You can't win. You are trying so hard to be morally "just" on such a global level that you can't be successful. If you would only start on a local level (eat local, volunteer local) you, and your inherant guilt may find some relief. I am less concerned about your vegetarianism than I am about the path you are trying to follow. You can't win, you can't not cause harm. In the end, you are destined to still feel guilt, and now you will do it malnurished in both body and soul.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
                              You can't win, you can't not cause harm. In the end, you are destined to still feel guilt, and now you will do it malnurished in both body and soul.
                              Put this on a poster superimposed over the picture of a block of tofu and I would totally buy it.

Comment

• OP, you mention you read The Mood Cure... a book that specifically tells you go eat protein and fats in order not to feel down in the dumps, but your "primal instincts" are telling you to do the complete opposite? Did you try any of the recommended supplements for your condition?
                                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X