No announcement yet.

How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From here: Five a day: The truth (not sure if she's reputable in these parts, but this article was pretty good)

In conclusion, the statement in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: “fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of vitamins” is not evidence based. A more accurate statement would be “low/zero-fat fruits are a good source of vitamin C and not much else; fruits with a fat content (avocado and olives) are poorer on vitamin C and better on other vitamins, but still no where near ‘excellent’; vegetables are often a better source of vitamin C than fruit and can also provide some useful fat soluble vitamins when eaten with fat.” For a short and accurate statement, the guidelines should have said “animal products are unbeatable nutritionally”.
    and

After all this, is there a perfect five-a-day? I set about doing what should have been done before any of this started. I went back to the USDA nutrition database and tried to get the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) from just five foods. This can be achieved with 100 grams of liver, 200 grams of sardines, 200 grams of whole milk, 100 grams of sunflower seeds and 200 grams of broccoli (1,300 calories). There will be infinite combinations of real foods that can provide the RDAs, but I started from the ones known to be highly nutritious.

For interest, I repeated the experiment for a vegetarian diet and the biggest challenge became vitamin D. The RDAs could be met with five foods: 500 grams of whole milk, 450 grams of eggs (10 medium eggs), 300 grams of spinach, 250 grams of raw mushrooms grown in sunshine and 50 grams of sunflower seeds (1,360 calories). Dietary advisors applaud people for choosing a vegetarian diet, but then tell them to avoid eggs and to consume low-fat milk. It then becomes practically impossible for a vegetarian to meet even minimal nutritional requirements. I had returned to eating meat and fish before the research for this part of the book, but, this exercise gave me great concern about what lasting damage I may have done to my health during years of not eating meat and fish. Gwyneth Paltrow may also be re-evaluating her diet after sharing her medical experience on her health website (June 2010). Paltrow’s vitamin D levels were tested by doctors in New York, following a “pretty severe” bone fracture and they “turned out to be the lowest they had ever seen.”[viii]

Vegans can’t get B12 naturally and they would need to eat 2.25 kilograms of (raw sunshine grown) mushrooms in a fat delivery mechanism (e.g. vegetable oil) to get the ‘adequate intake’ for vitamin D and an unusual food like oriental dried radishes to get their calcium – and to repeat this daily. For completeness, the five vegan foods would be 2.25 kilograms of mushrooms, 175 grams of porridge oats, 25 grams of sunflower seeds, 100 grams of oriental dried radishes and 300 grams of spinach (in more vegetable oil) and a vitamin B12 supplement. Without the calories in the vegetable oil, the vegan basket adds up to 1,644 calories – the highest of all three sample ways of getting our nutritional requirement.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Ok... it's just me I guess.
      I would not be able to eat that amount by any means without being sick.
      When I ate oatmeal I always made a 2 serving portion for myself which was 1cup oats and just under 2c water.

I just looked directions for quaker rolled oats... 3c is a 6 serving portion(1/2 servings so it should be 3c even after cooked) and requires 5 3/4c water.
      That's a lot of food by my standards... there is no way that ends up just a little bit.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
        Ok... it's just me I guess.
        I would not be able to eat that amount by any means without being sick.
        When I ate oatmeal I always made a 2 serving portion for myself which was 1cup oats and just under 2c water.

I just looked directions for quaker rolled oats... 3c is a 6 serving portion(1/2 servings so it should be 3c even after cooked) and requires 5 3/4c water.
        That's a lot of food by my standards... there is no way that ends up just a little bit.
        Neither would I.
        Not anymore anyway. I used to be able to stuff food in like there was no tomorrow, but since going primal, no way.

Comment

• vegetable oil is the devil *shudder*
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
            vegetable oil is the devil *shudder*
            Sup?
            You don't do shots...
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• i don't do shots of liquor these days

and i haven't had a shot since a nice lady meanly dug a needle in my vein

naw, you guys got your replies in before i did. it was referring to joanie's bottom quote about mushrooms being cooked in vegetable oil

the thought made me cry

i miss alcohol
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

• Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                I don't feel like I'm contributing to Big Agra all that much. I don't eat corn, soy, wheat, sugar... I would agree that no one gets off scott-free when it comes to causing suffering, but that doesn't lead me to "why even try to reduce my impact?"
                Big agra isn't just soy and wheat and corn.

Like I said earlier. Go to a tomato field and walk behind a harvester. I probably eat one cow worth of steak a year. In that tomato field, there will be tons of dead, and wasted, rabbits, mice, snakes, and etc. Someone else pointed out earlier the difference in the lifespans of the migrant farm worker vs the average American. Hell, even when large fields are prepared for agriculture, animals are killed and their homes destroyed.

Unless you grow all your own food in your backyard or get everything from very small operations, your drenched in blood and a hypocrite. There is nothing wrong with trying to reduce your impact. But going vegan is an absolutely moronic way to do it. I still eat meat and eggs. All from a ranch with nothing but free range animals that eat their natural diets or that I harvested myself with a rifle or shotgun. All my produce comes from my balcony or very small family farms that come to the farmers market. I'm not rich. After rent and utilities (including cell phone), I have $400 a month towards food, gym, savings, and fun money.

Reducing your footprint and eating ethically can be done in ways much more ecologically and environmentally friendly than going vegan and patting yourself on the back, ignoring the damage your massly farmed lettuce and oranges do...and very affordably if you actually try and choose your priorities.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  i don't do shots of liquor these days

and i haven't had a shot since a nice lady meanly dug a needle in my vein

naw, you guys got your replies in before i did. it was referring to joanie's bottom quote about mushrooms being cooked in vegetable oil

the thought made me cry

i miss alcohol
                  Ahh, my poor, sweet, delicate orchid... I was joshin you girlie.

Veg oil is teh nasty!
                  Get some butter on those shrooms and treat them proper... or some bacon fat you know. *nods*

I miss alcohol too.
                  The brain doesn't cotton to it so well you know... stoopid brain.
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• To make that more primal, I think olive oil could replace the veggie oil, even though I think olives are fruit.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• ssshhhh.... I think bacon is a gateway food - You evil corrupter!

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                        Ahh, my poor, sweet, delicate orchid... I was joshin you girlie.

Veg oil is teh nasty!
                        Get some butter on those shrooms and treat them proper... or some bacon fat you know. *nods*

I miss alcohol too.
                        The brain doesn't cotton to it so well you know... stoopid brain.
                        delicate? moi?

i'm trying to look out for my liver

i hear they regenerate tissue tho...

but i guesssssss alcohol is not a healthy mental relaxation coping device anyways

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        To make that more primal, I think olive oil could replace the veggie oil, even though I think olives are fruit.
                        via a roundabout thought train, this reminds me i have mushrooms. god my memory is terrible
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

lol

Comment

• I love how threads like this become a place to just drop in and shoot the shit.....

When OP gives you lemons kinda thing I guess

Comment

• hey neckhammer!

sup?
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

lol

Comment

• Every thread is a good place to discuss the deliciousness of mushrooms sauteed in bacon fat.

Fo sho!

*waves at Neckhammer*
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
                                Am I on crazy pills? Since when are oats paleo? (Genuinely asking. Didn't know they were on the "good" list.)
                                Well, technically, not paleo -- but Mark puts them in the "potentially primal, not the best" list. He says he'd rather eat something else, but if you feel the need/hankering, then you know, eat oatmeal.

Since going primal, I've had oatmeal several times -- largely because of travel. It's easy to carry a dry packet of oatmeal or three to cover any needs should I be out. Since i usually travel and teach -- I do need to eat, even if it's only 500 calories during that day. So, I'll use oatmeal in that process.

But, it's not my preference. Eggs and apples are my first choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X